• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

It's getting difficult to keep the anti-pressers' arguments straight. In one thread, beyonder is talking about the great number of Church books that have been pressed, while in this thread taxguy and Esquire talk about the Church collection as whole not having and defects that would benefit from pressing.

We have to consider how long ago the Church collection was "found" by Chuck. Long time ago. Books have passed hand after hand after hand. The pristine environemnt they spent their formative years is gone. I have to wonder how many OW-W Church books we see now began life as pure W. They ARE ideal pressing candidates overall, the ones that have spent many years going from place to place, carefully stored probably for the most part but with the inevitable impact that comes from handling (guess it would be hard to resist reading such a book).

Remember - before this collection was obtained it was unknown and just lay there dormant. But 30 years later? Time is going to take its toll.

All very true.

lol

(thumbs u :grin:

Nice sig pov. However, I do think of you as being light tan around the edges, fairly wordy and having a slight acidic smell. hm

This is a personal attack! I motion all to bear witness to this slander...or is it libel? Whatever! This horrid and unprovoked attack against my core values, my personality, my very SCENT!!!! I speak of rights! A message board has none; a man must. I ask that my motion be granted. But more than that, gentlemen, in the name of a humanity fadng in the shadow of the message board, I demand it. I demand it!

lol

Nice sig pov. However, I do think of you as being light tan around the edges, fairly wordy and having a slight acidic smell. hm

This is a personal attack! I motion all to bear witness to this slander...or is it libel? Whatever! This horrid and unprovoked attack against my core values, my personality, my very SCENT!!!! I speak of rights! A message board has none; a man must. I ask that my motion be granted. But more than that, gentlemen, in the name of a humanity fadng in the shadow of the message board, I demand it. I demand it!

Now, that, is classic povertyrow.

It's getting difficult to keep the anti-pressers' arguments straight. In one thread, beyonder is talking about the great number of Church books that have been pressed, while in this thread taxguy and Esquire talk about the Church collection as whole not having and defects that would benefit from pressing.

I am not anti-pressing. I have never ever said I am anti-pressing. I don't particularly like the process myself and have no interest in engaging in it, but to each his own.

I believe pressing is restoration, albeit the most minimalist form of the practice. Whether the existence of pressing should impact the retail value of a book is another question.

I believe pressing should be disclosed.

Neither of these premises is anti-restoration.

Your last statement cannot be read in a vacuum. Pov's question was whether the Church books, by virtue of their storage, were "pressed", at least as how we view the term currently. I believe the answer is "no".

Would Church books benefit from pressing? Even with Church's storage method they did not remain perfect 10.0s. Obviously some would benefit from pressing. And we have seen it performed countless times over the years on Church books. Personally, I find it shameful that a book that has survived 60-70 years in a 9.4 and above condition on its own is needlessly placed at complete risk of harm by someone who - very likely - seeks nothing more than financial gain. Regardless of whether one wishes to press some anonymous HG book, I think the Church books (and other GA pedigrees in particular) deserve more respect than that, particularly because of its historical significance in our community. IMHO.

lol

I'll represent you. :gossip:;)

lol

I'll represent you. :gossip:;)

Step away from the Sicilian. (tsk)

Are we saying we think all the Church books were pressed/restored? Lunacy,

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

Good heavens folks. Can we not all see how pathetic that is????

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I grow fatigued at the limits that the pro-pressing crowd will go to find the most far fetched analogies they can to try and prove that what a professional restoration expert does with his heat, moisture, and extreme pressure using a mechanical contrivance that has been proven to flatten and improve grades on comic books.....is not restoration.

What the pro-pressing crowd finds pathetic is the attempt by the anti-pressing crowd to apply a scarlet letter to books that have undergone what we have every reason to believe is a completely harmless procedure.

What the pro-pressing crowd finds pathetic is the attempt by the anti-pressing crowd to apply a scarlet letter to books that have undergone what we have every reason to believe is a completely harmless procedure.

I would agree. I can hear it now: < In my best Mark Zaid voice> "But this had been a sin of passion, not of principle, nor even purpose." - The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne

pressednamora3fc.jpg

:baiting:

hm I guess my understanding of "pressing" in the restoration/conservation sense implied a certain deliberate action on the part of the individual to remove certain defects from the comics in question. Whether or not this is resto of conservation... :shrug: I'm not sold on which it is just yet.

Storing our comics has everything to do with conservation- keeping them in the condition we received them in. We put them in boxes, stored in cool rooms out of sunlight, etc. I choose to store mine in boxes, packed snugly to prevent books from sliding down and getting damaged (lesson learned AND learned!). Others choose to use the stacking method- a little more pressure on the books, but also could pose the potential for a spill. Bottomline though is it's a variation of accomplishing the same task- store our book to keep them safe. Others of us out there slab the books to ensure safety of the book and maintain its condition. This is the same as putting a comic in a box... it's just a smaller and more secure one.

So...are the Church books "pressed"? Not from how I see it. The only active measures taken were to properly store the books to ensure they maintained the condition they were in when stored. That the books remain in such high grade speaks to the effectiveness of the technique employed by the owner. Certainly there are some similarities between pressing and storing: my comics in my longboxes are packed in quite securely, but this does not make them pressed in the collector-specifc understanding of the word.

Since it sounds like this thread was meant to bring in new opinions, there you go!

Well considering they were pressed together for years they are "pressed", then again, when the printers put them in boxes to ship them cross country they stacked them in piles so I guess they were pressed from day one?

Based on that crazy thought,,,,,I think every Mile High copy should get a Restored label. So I need all of you to send them back to CGC and ask them to PLOD them all. Ok, now that we have that resolved, let's move on to some other useless idea... I know, let's talk about why the sky is blue, or possibly why we never see grass grow, yet it needs a cut every week?

why the sky is blue

Stolen from why-is-the-sky-blue.tv...

Transmitted light (from the sun, light bulbs, fire, etc) is made up of a spectrum of colors. The longest wavelengths of light are on the red end of the spectrum and the shortest wavelengths are on the blue/violet end of the spectrum.

When transmitted light such as sunlight enters our atmosphere it collides with the oxygen and nitrogen atoms. The color with the shorter wavelength is scattered more by this collision. Because violet and blue are the shortest wavelengths the sky appears to be violet / blue. But because our eyes are more sensitive to blue light than they are violet light, we perceive the sky as blue.

Our eyes contain thousand of rods and cones, which are the receptors for light. Whenever one of the 3 Stooges pokes you in the eye you see a giant blue spot. This is because the blue receptors have been activated. Blue is one of the primary colors and thus more easily activated and seen by our eyes.

Blue is also how I feel when my baby leaves and my hound dog dies. Also, how I feel when the cops pull me over and I see their blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror. Then, again, blue is the color of the K-mart special, so this color isn't all bad.

Well, I was just giving my view on the issue of pressing. One is a result of maintaining condition, the other an act of producing a condition. :) Semantics really.

Now color touch... no question in my mind that this counts as restoration and should be disclosed. It's not a problem for me, but it needs to be identified as such.

No, they are "pressed" by physics/gravity...that is not 'technical' pressing... (tsk)

However, what about all that color touch on those same Church books?

Restored????hm i'm FAR more bothered by that fact!

Don't mind me...just visiting to get my daily 10 minutes stare at The Question?'s avatar.

I wasn't aware you were the newly elected "pro-pressing crowd" spokesman. I'm sure they appreciate you conveying their message though and speaking for them on the whole.

Since I'm not elected to speak for anyone other than myself, I'll give you my opinion...

A) You finally revealed your true agenda. Your simply scared that if pressing was to ever be universally accepted as a type of restoration, then your collection could become devalued.

B) In your efforts to circumvent this fear, you've decided to leap at extremes and pull any other book into the debate that you can by trying to include stacked books, books stored in long boxes, etc. as being pressed. You're trying to spread your fear to more of the hobby population by including these books along with those of your collection that were mechanically pressed.

I have to say, nice try. There is a difference and you know it. You've even admitted as much earlier. Trying to scare those that own Church books or other books that have been stacked or stored in long boxes into thinking that their books would also get labeled as pressed if it were to become the standard is a nice campaign move. I think they're smarter than that.

It's so clear now, I'm not sure why it didn't hit me earlier. Expand the pool of those owning pressed books = good for you. Expanding the fear that you have = good for you. Isolating your group to only those that own books that have had true professional pressing = bad for you. I get it. :applause:

I wasn't aware you were the newly elected "pro-pressing crowd" spokesman. I'm sure they appreciate you conveying their message though and speaking for them on the whole.

He does just as good a job as anyone else. Besides, Richard is probably tired and my posts lack content. :)