• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

Ok, so I was trying to pin down when the end of the Bronze age would be as far as Spidey goes but I think these 2 still fit.  If not just yell at me.  Here's the first one, ASM #209 1st Calypso:

5993195_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8xMC8yMDI0IDI6M

And another a year later (man, Marvel loved those top banners back then huh?), 1st Speed Demon:

5989780_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC85LzIwMjQgMTozM

On 4/11/2024 at 10:19 AM, pmpknface said:

Ok, so I was trying to pin down when the end of the Bronze age would be as far as Spidey goes but I think these 2 still fit.  If not just yell at me.  Here's the first one, ASM #209 1st Calypso:

5993195_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8xMC8yMDI0IDI6M

And another a year later (man, Marvel loved those top banners back then huh?), 1st Speed Demon:

5989780_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC85LzIwMjQgMTozM

Probably make it on the tail end of most BA definitions.  But I won't complain either way, nice books.

I've had this one forever, but hadn't added it to my registry until today so I'll share.  Bought it raw decades ago, was one of the 1st I ever graded.  I though 9.4 for sure, but I'll take it.  This title doesn't get enough love.  Old label goodness!  :)  

6016726_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8yNS8yMDI0IDk6M

On 4/25/2024 at 6:28 AM, pmpknface said:

I've had this one forever, but hadn't added it to my registry until today so I'll share.  Bought it raw decades ago, was one of the 1st I ever graded.  I though 9.4 for sure, but I'll take it.  This title doesn't get enough love.  Old label goodness!  :)  

Great book.  Back in the day, I always wanted a high grade copy that was reasonable priced.  Never found one I liked.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Great book.  Back in the day, I always wanted a high grade copy that was reasonable priced.  Never found one I liked.

Thanks!  Since I had one I never really looked at the census before on this book.  As to be expected, there aren't many high graded copes.  After taking out the 5 restored in 9.4 only 6.85% are higher than 9.2 with 3 lowly 9.8's.

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 3 0.20%  
Near Mint + 9.6 11 0.73%  
Near Mint 9.4 89 5.92% 6.85%
Near Mint - 9.2 161 10.70%  

So I guess they are out there, just not "that" many.  Good luck if you're still looking!  (thumbsu

On 4/25/2024 at 6:28 AM, pmpknface said:

One of my favorite titles back in the day.  This is the only one of the first 50 I failed to get off the rack or via subscription.  Certainly no high grade ones, but well-loved.

Things have been tight lately, so if I buy something, I have to REALLY want it. For some reason, I've liked this book, and Marvel kept the storyline relevant up into the Modern Age. Thanks @drbanner who NEVER disappoints. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ASM 149.jpg

On 4/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, pmpknface said:

Thanks!  Since I had one I never really looked at the census before on this book.  As to be expected, there aren't many high graded copes.  After taking out the 5 restored in 9.4 only 6.85% are higher than 9.2 with 3 lowly 9.8's.

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 3 0.20%  
Near Mint + 9.6 11 0.73%  
Near Mint 9.4 89 5.92% 6.85%
Near Mint - 9.2 161 10.70%  

So I guess they are out there, just not "that" many.  Good luck if you're still looking!  (thumbsu

Yes, those numbers were about what I was expecting.  Very few in 9.6 and only 3 in 9.8.

Nah, I left the game a few years back, but I always love to see a nice book or two.

On 4/27/2024 at 12:05 PM, Lee Enterprises said:

It's surprising that the Chameleon did not appear in more Spider-Man stories. Maybe it's because he wasn't as visually interesting as Doctor Octopus, the Sandman, the Green Goblin and others. 

ASM 80 CGC 9.6.jpg

Yes, long droughts.  Issue 1, Issue 80, Issue 186.  If I remember correctly.