• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventures of the Fly?

40 posts in this topic

How many fans of the Fly do we have on this board? It's excruciatingly difficult to complete a run in high grade. I know. I've been trying for over 25 years and I still need eight issues (although I have terrific copies of the first two issues).

49780-Fly.jpg.7acead1b1281904e667dec2105d2dbc9.jpg

49781-Fly2.jpg.71f7438561b30e126e436944189b3016.jpg

Hi Hepcat.

I was always a big fan of The Fly. I particuarly enjoyed the wackiness of many villains and weapons presented in the series.

LMK what issues you still need. I specalize in Silver/Bronze Age Independent Super Hero Comics.

Merry Christmas

Cortez

I still need (or need to upgrade) # 3 4 11 13 16 17 18 19 in VF/NM or better. I'm quite picky about spine and staple wear and tanning. Something like a chip may not bother me as much so long as the comic still has really good eye appeal.

I'm also trying to upgrade Adventures of the Jaguar # 2 3 4.

49799-Jaguar2.jpg.86d36e6d9ce589f481b29ded83a7e1b1.jpg

How many fans of the Fly do we have on this board? It's excruciatingly difficult to complete a run in high grade. I know. I've been trying for over 25 years and I still need eight issues (although I have terrific copies of the first two issues).

The Fly was a good series. I bought the original artwork for this Rosenberger cover off eBay last year:

6tbfrt3.jpg

A fellow fan!

I avidly collect these books and agree they are impossible to find, let alone in "grade".

I actually bought Mighty Crusaders 4 off the stands (still got it) and was really confused - that was the issue that Archie revived a whole bunch of GA heroes that I'd never heard of.

Still need a few Fly/Flyman/Adventures of the Fly, a heap of Jaguars (NEVER see them), a couple of Shadows (what were the creators smoking then) but at least I've got all of the Mighty Crusaders. All seven of them, from memory.

I would also love to get a hold of the Remco figures that were produced in 1984. 4 heroes, 4 villains. (Comet, Fox, Shield, Web, Brain Emperor, Buzzard, Eraser and Sting). I know they exist but I have never even seen them. Also cannot workout why they didn't do a Fly figure. Certainly more popular than, say, The Fox.

A fellow fan!

I avidly collect these books and agree they are impossible to find, let alone in "grade".

I actually bought Mighty Crusaders 4 off the stands (still got it) and was really confused - that was the issue that Archie revived a whole bunch of GA heroes that I'd never heard of.

Still need a few Fly/Flyman/Adventures of the Fly, a heap of Jaguars (NEVER see them), a couple of Shadows (what were the creators smoking then) but at least I've got all of the Mighty Crusaders. All seven of them, from memory.

I would also love to get a hold of the Remco figures that were produced in 1984. 4 heroes, 4 villains. (Comet, Fox, Shield, Web, Brain Emperor, Buzzard, Eraser and Sting). I know they exist but I have never even seen them. Also cannot workout why they didn't do a Fly figure. Certainly more popular than, say, The Fox.

I collect reader copies when I see them for a good price, but don't actually hunt them. Looking for only 2 more each of Adventures of the Jaguar and The Shadow, but several Fly/Flyman/Adventures of the Fly and Mighty Comics/Crusaders still on the want list.

I found for only $3 a paperback collection, Adventures of the Fly, that collects 1-4. That's the only issues with Simon and Kirby, right? Maybe there are other volumes too. Maybe now I'll actually (re?)read those issues.

PS:

There's also Mighty Crusaders: Origin Of A Super Team (2003).

I have to include this quotation from an amazon reviewer:

"Illustrations were provided by Paul Reinman, whose work at Marvel, chiefly as an inker, was deemed inexplicably to qualify him for the task. His characters possess all the lithe grace and agility of a sack of potatoes as they lumber leadenly across the pages."

Jack, lumbering leadenly

A fellow fan!

I collect reader copies when I see them for a good price, but don't actually hunt them. Looking for only 2 more each of Adventures of the Jaguar and The Shadow, but several Fly/Flyman/Adventures of the Fly and Mighty Comics/Crusaders still on the want list.

I found for only $3 a paperback collection, Adventures of the Fly, that collects 1-4. That's the only issues with Simon and Kirby, right? Maybe there are other volumes too. Maybe now I'll actually (re?)read those issues.

PS:

There's also Mighty Crusaders: Origin Of A Super Team (2003).

I have to include this quotation from an amazon reviewer:

"Illustrations were provided by Paul Reinman, whose work at Marvel, chiefly as an inker, was deemed inexplicably to qualify him for the task. His characters possess all the lithe grace and agility of a sack of potatoes as they lumber leadenly across the pages."

Jack, lumbering leadenly

That reviewer was spot on with his "Paul R" assessment. (Gee those nicknames were cringeworthy).

I will have to track the TPB down. Yes, the first four issues were a S & K production.

Really nice copies Hep... (thumbs u

As mentioned in this thread, it's difficult finding these in high-grade, but I never tried hunting them down.

Your copies have to be about the nicest I've seen. Thanks for sharing these. :applause:

I think I've sold most of my Fly and Jaguar issues, I might still have some scans of them to share though....I'll need to look and see. hm

Here are scans of four more of my Fly comics:

06-08-201182823PM.jpg

12 Bethlehem copy

06-08-201182826PM.jpg

06-08-201182829PM.jpg

14 Bethlehem copy

06-08-201182832PM.jpg

I'm still trying to upgrade my #11 and my #13. Trying to find nice copies of the Fly from 1959-1962 is no easy task, let me tell you that!

:frustrated:

That's interesting! I'll look through some of my Fly comics to see if I can find that judo feature.

It was actually in a Harvey comic from 1962(?) that I clearly remember seeing Black Cat demonstrating judo moves! "Cool! But who is this Black Cat?" I wondered at the time.

:cool:

Here are two Bob Bell's Judo pages from Adventures of the Fly 7:

15-10-201145524PM.jpg

15-10-201145546PM.jpg

The six Judo Tricks pages in Black Cat 63 are actually much better done:

Northland copy

15-10-201145449PM.jpg

15-10-201145502PM.jpg

15-10-201145456PM.jpg

The Black Cat Judo Tricks pages also ran in miscellaneous other Harvey comics at the time. In fact, I'd never even heard of Black Cat when I came across one of these pages for the first time. I was therefore left wondering when and where the adventures of this exotic new(!) superheroine were published.

:juggle: