• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPS Arrived At My LCS Earlier Than Santa - ASM #545 & Others

152 posts in this topic

From the CBR interview:

So, to get this straight, OMD doesn’t actually negate the previous 20 years of Spider-Man stories?

Joe Q: Exactly, that’s precisely what we wanted to avoid. What didn’t occur was the marriage. Peter and MJ were together, they loved each other -- they just didn’t pull the trigger on the wedding day. All the books count, all the stories count -- except in the minds of the people within the Marvel U, Peter and MJ were a couple, not a married couple. To me, that’s a much fairer thing to do to those of us who have been reading Spider-Man for all these years. Like I said, is it perfect? No. As far as we investigated, short of divorcing Peter, nothing really is.

So Peter and MJ behaved like a married couple; they just didn't have a wedding?!?! :screwy:

Apparently MJ was never pregnant either and the baby disappeared off the face of comicdom. So, you might as well have a non-existent marriage as well.

Let's see if I can figure this out.

JQ didn't like having Spidey married.

He couldn't have them divorce because that would be socially unacceptable in comics.

But, he could mindwipe their marriage. Then, they would have had a baby out of wedlock and that is more socially acceptable? I guess since the baby was stolen and forgotten then it's okay. :screwy:

Plus, if they've been together all these years and he dumps her now so JQ can have new love interest stories....how does this make Spidey less of a cad?

He can spin it all he wants but his reasoning doesn't hold water.

Oh wait, this is from the guy who thinks that it is socially acceptable for young women to have sympathy sex with old men with terrrible hairdos. I think I'll shave my head and cackle menacingly while crying to see if I can get some swinging 20 year old to have sex with me.(Thank god Greggy's not 20, so that should make this experiment possible lol)

From the CBR interview:

So, to get this straight, OMD doesn’t actually negate the previous 20 years of Spider-Man stories?

Joe Q: Exactly, that’s precisely what we wanted to avoid. What didn’t occur was the marriage. Peter and MJ were together, they loved each other -- they just didn’t pull the trigger on the wedding day. All the books count, all the stories count -- except in the minds of the people within the Marvel U, Peter and MJ were a couple, not a married couple. To me, that’s a much fairer thing to do to those of us who have been reading Spider-Man for all these years. Like I said, is it perfect? No. As far as we investigated, short of divorcing Peter, nothing really is.

So Peter and MJ behaved like a married couple; they just didn't have a wedding?!?! :screwy:

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... why?

No organic webshooters. He's wearing the original devices.

Aunt May has the house in Queens again. That was sold years ago. Actually, Aunt May has the house in Queens that they had in the Spider-Man movie, not the one that they owned in the comics.

Harry Osborn is alive... and single. If there's any indication that continuity is not the same, it is this. Harry's death had implications - specifically, it ended up being the catalyst that brought Norman out of hiding in Europe.

Flash Thompson appears to be a friend again. At one point he was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, then he was back to being the original antagonistic jock who was now the coach at the school where Peter teaches.

What about Aunt May being shot? She's perfectly healthy. If she was shot, Peter starts wearing the black costume and seeks revenge. If she wasn't shot, he doesn't do that. in BND he's wearing the traditional red and blue, no explanation. Plus he's living in that house in Queens again... if everything is the same, why isn't he living in a motel on the run from the authorities.

The Registration Act. Is Peter registered? No, that would negate the New Avengers stuff. Is Peter not registered? That would make sense. But then, he's on the run, wanted by the authorities --- and I don't mean just the cops. But Iron Man, SHIELD, the entire registered superhuman population. Before OMD he's on the run, living in a motel, and it's not just because his identity has been revealed. He's good at avoiding trouble, but not that good.

If Peter and MJ were a couple and loved one another, why would Mephisto want just their marriage? That's dumb. I can understand him wanting their love, which culminated and solidified their marriage - that perfect union. Taking that union away... still leaves the love. They could just get married again.

It can be assumed that the MJ pregnancy was also eliminated as leaving it in would presume they had pre-marital unprotected sex, which JQ was against approving in the original Sins Past proposal..

If Peter and MJ were a couple and loved one another, why would Mephisto want just their marriage? That's dumb. I can understand him wanting their love, which culminated and solidified their marriage - that perfect union. Taking that union away... still leaves the love. They could just get married again.

That is the part of the explanation that really makes little sense... Mephisto collects marriage certificates? hm

I keep wondering (after reading that third part of the interview especially) whether JoeQ - instead of wanting a single Peter that younger readers can relate to - wants a single Peter so that his married readers can vicariously live a single's life... hm

Wouldn't she have been married to the Scarlett Spiderman or am I misreading an earlier post? I thought I read that after the whole clone stuff that Peter was replaced by Ben(think that was his name), when Peter returned Spiderman was married to MJ so the replacement was married to MJ not Peter? I must say I really stopped reading spiderman back some time ago because of these type of incidents.

Spoiler Alert (if the thread hasn't already spoiled it for you)....

So no one remembers the marriage except for MJ?????

A virtual mind-erase in the Marvel Universe for anybody knowing anything relating to the marriage? doh!

That is the solution to the spidey marriage "problem"? Wouldn't a divorce be easier? This ruins continuity in so many ways, it is mind-boggling. Peter Parker now seems to be officially living in an alternative universe.

My ASM run may officially stop now. Add me to the list of Joe Q haters.

And yet I really do want to read what Dan Slott will do with Spidey...

No, she was never married to the Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly. When Ben showed up they ran some tests that indicated that Peter was the clone and Ben was the real deal, so for a while Peter and a very pregnant MJ moved out west to live a quiet life and have their kid while Ben assumed the role of Spider-Man. That was undone within a few months, and the test that indicated that Peter was a clone was a trick. When he was killed, Ben Reilly dissolved like the other clones had, confirming he was the clone.

Harry being back causes the biggest problems. I guess he's not married now too? So no little Normie?

Regardless, JoeyQ wants it both ways. Everything happened except what he wants to retcon. I'm not sure readers look at it the same way...and thinking about it, this storyline trick/reboot is essentially the same thing tried disasterously during the Clone Saga. All the stories count except they don't as you remember them. I hope this fails and sales tank hard. It's the only way to put a stop to this ...

Jim

Well, I like my LCS owner and all, but I can't buy these. No way, no how. I just can't agree with JoeQ's logic. He makes a good argument for a single Spidey which is why I think he should spend more time with Ultimate Spider-Man. If he's too afraid to put Peter and MJ through divorce, then leave it alone.

And Fan4Fan- you collect comic books, why can't Mephisto collect marriage certificates? :shrug: lol

Interesting to see JMS asked the same questions we fans are currently asking about the conclusion to OMD, and he's 100% correct, magic has rules --- it isn't a cure-all for odd changes, to say it's "magic" therefore it can be whatever editorial wants it to be epitomizes the silliness of OMD.

Not only is magic a terrible violation of Spider-Man's "world" of the guy next door getting science-based powers, not only is a deal with the devil a silly option for good characters to choose as a legitimate option over, say... divorce, but now we have a Monty Python-esque reason for editorial changes that violate the rules of storytelling.

Stan Lee taught us to look for the mistakes and explain them, in order to get our mythical "No-Prizes". OMD can't be explained. It can't be justified. There's no "No-Prize" for figuring out how it works because it doesn't. What that exchange between JMS and Quesada shows is that there is no rational explanation behind OMD other than "it's magic".

Well, I still don't think JMS is off the hook as far as Sins Past is concerned...but he apparently is asking the same questions we are concerning the rational of the storyline.

And I agree with JMS...it's extremely lazy writing. Again, it's a "we'll tell you what's in-continuity now or not" scenario. So essentially all continuity back to 1987, and possibly farther depending on the status of Peter and MJ's relationship, is changed now in some way. Great way to alienate your core readers...

Also, I guess this means Ben Reilly is still alive? The marriage played a major part in that storyline...

Where's Kurt Busiek to change bad retcons when you need him? hm

Jim

I might hit myself later... but I really have to agree with much of JMS' assessment of the situation. It boils down in so many ways to respect: respect for the fans, respect for the characters, and most importantly, respect for the rules. In favor of achieving this "reset" that JoeQ has had a hard on for since becoming the EIC, it looks like he's failed to respect these important parts of the job.

And lost our respect as well.

I'm glad to see JMS publicly acknowledges a desire to retcon that Sins Past . I'll still trash the storyline to no end, but I'll keep him out of it from here on out.

Below is a link from Comic Book Resources "One More Day" interview with

Joe Quesada. The link is part one of five parts, and may answer some of the

questions asked here.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12664

:news: Part two is now 'on-line'. posted below is the link.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12673

The link below is part three of the "One More Day" interview.

If you have read parts 1 & 2 part 3 tell of what might have been a much more

'intense' change.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12681

OK, you know the drill. Link to part four is below.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12688

Below is a link from Comic Book Resources "One More Day" interview with

Joe Quesada. The link is part one of five parts, and may answer some of the

questions asked here.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12664

:news: Part two is now 'on-line'. posted below is the link.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12673

The link below is part three of the "One More Day" interview.

If you have read parts 1 & 2 part 3 tell of what might have been a much more

'intense' change.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12681

OK, you know the drill. Link to part four is below.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12688

From the fourth part of the interview:

If after this interview you still have unanswered questions, this is where you get to join in and play interviewer. We’ll take the 15 best questions sent to us by next Tuesday afternoon, January 8th. Simply send your questions to Jonah Weiland with the subject line “One More Day Questions.” We’ll pass them on to Joe and publish his answers later right here on CBR.