• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPS Arrived At My LCS Earlier Than Santa - ASM #545 & Others

152 posts in this topic

Stopped by one of my LCS' yesterday to drop off a Christmas present. The UPS guy had just dropped off half of this week's new comics so I was able to get a bunch of my 'pull' comics before they hit the racks Thursday/Friday.

Have read the Captain America #33 (nice last page) and Punisher #53 (can the Barracuda be killed?) issues but the Amazing Spider-Man #545 issue just took away any Christmas spirit.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW

I never get angry at creator's and their storylines but after reading 545 I have decided to no longer buy ASM. I now understand why JMS wanted his name removed from the credits (and this explains why Joe Q's name appears in the writer's box credits for the first time in this storyline). Married or not, I've always been entertained Peter/Spidey's adventures. The excuse that writers were limited to tell the type of stories because of MJ is a :censored: . Wouldn't Aunt May living have just as much of a limit on storytelling? Good writers ( and no, I don't think Q is one) can write good stories regardless of their characters situations. I mean Captain America is dead and Brubaker is writing some of the best Cap stories I've ever read or may ever read.

My best to Slott, Wells, McNiven et al but if this is the dawn of a Brand New Day, I'm sleeping in.

Stopped by one of my LCS' yesterday to drop off a Christmas present. The UPS guy had just dropped off half of this week's new comics so I was able to get a bunch of my 'pull' comics before they hit the racks Thursday/Friday.

Have read the Captain America #33 (nice last page) and Punisher #53 (can the Barracuda be killed?) issues but the Amazing Spider-Man #545 issue just took away any Christmas spirit.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW

I never get angry at creator's and their storylines but after reading 545 I have decided to no longer buy ASM. I now understand why JMS wanted his name removed from the credits (and this explains why Joe Q's name appears in the writer's box credits for the first time in this storyline). Married or not, I've always been entertained Peter/Spidey's adventures. The excuse that writers were limited to tell the type of stories because of MJ is a :censored: . Wouldn't Aunt May living have just as much of a limit on storytelling? Good writers ( and no, I don't think Q is one) can write good stories regardless of their characters situations. I mean Captain America is dead and Brubaker is writing some of the best Cap stories I've ever read or may ever read.

My best to Slott, Wells, McNiven et al but if this is the dawn of a Brand New Day, I'm sleeping in.

:(

You should have stopped when One More Day started. It was no secret what Quesada was going to do. Also to give JMS "credit" at this point is misplaced considering how he raped Spidey's well-regarded history during his run...

Jim

It is amazing (no pun intended) how Marvel is destroying Spider-man which is probably the most widely recognized Super-Hero in the world now (or at least in the top 3). JMS did a great job of destroying the character before the current storyline and Joe Q let him do that. Now they are just on Spidey's grave. Oh how I wish for the days when I was a kid and read ASM 238 after buying it off the racks. Those were some great Spidey stories.

I noticed that Norman Osborn is back from the dead. WTH?!

It is Harry Osborn in #545 :sick:

And yes, JMS doesn't really deserve to be congratulated after :censored: all over Gwen's legacy. However, he never backed away and apologized for that piece of camel dung known as Sins Past. He has tried to back away from OMD. Seems to me that this whole arc is driven by Joe Q's ego.

Additionally, I see where speculators will now be jumping on the 07 ASM FCBD issue. - MJ has a private conversation with Mephisto.

Strange idea to bring him back, but his death did have something to do with Pete and MJ's now gone marriage. This of course brings up other matters entirely... like just what exactly is Spider-Man's continuity since the wedding if it has been so radically changed?... in why should anyone care?

I honestly don't know how they could fix Spidey or the MU as a whole without a crisis type event. Nowadays when I read Marvel or DC I try not to think of any continuity and just judge the story by how well it is written and drawn. A good writer and artist can make a good story even out of this Spidey mess.

Here's the basic problem with One More Day: it's unnecessary. It's fiddling with continuity for no particular reason other than to feed the EIC's ego. No one was clamoring for the end of the Peter/MJ marriage - except for Quesada. Now he gets his wish, but the solution he has come up with - having the devil remove all history/memory of the marriage from the principals is a reckless decision. I don't think the consequences are going to be positive.

This reminds me of when, during the clone saga, they basically said to long-time readers that the Spider-Man they had been reading about from issue 150-on was not the real guy - he was a clone. The real guy was out wandering around not being Spider-Man during all of that time. Thankfully that was able to be explained away as a mistake.

Then this whole Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn thingie - not a good idea, but JMS has since admitted making Norman the father was forced on him by editorial. The problem with that was that it wasn't believable - neither character was acting according to previous representations. It was shoehorned in to make what could have been an interesting story more palatable to the EIC (that is, Peter can't have kids) so if Gwen had kids they had to have been the result of a silly moment of passion between her and one of her best friend's father who also happened to be evil, something out of a badly written adult movie.

Now we have another out of character, poorly executed tale wherein Peter and Mary Jane make a deal with Mephisto - the devil - to save Aunt May's life. If that isn't completely out of character then I have no idea what these characters are all about. They choose to save Aunt May, so Mephisto can rewrite their history and remove their love and, in the process, he's apparantly now so powerful that he can revise the history of the entire universe and now potentially every decision Peter has made since the time before he was actually married will be altered (makes me think of the time travel story where the butterfly was killed and the entire history of the planet rewritten - everything has a cause and effect). Now every story with Spider-Man in it from the late 1980's to now is potentially changed. 20 years of Spider-Man comics are now out of the window (about half of the character's life in print).

Hey fans, read Civil War! Except that part with Spider-Man revealing his identity - that didn't happen! We've got these well-loved McFarlane issues, well, they are mostly correct - except Peter wasn't married to MJ at the time so he couldn't have been living where he was living, Venom couldn't have threatened her in ASM300, the whole subplot with the stalker and her acting career are irrelevant because she was somewhere else during that time... remember Kraven's Last Hunt? Well, Peter wasn't married to MJ at the time so who knows if that story even happened. Maybe Kraven is alive?...

The easiest way to drive away long-term readers is to undermine the stories in the comics they've read. It's another excuse to walk away. Taking what you have and telling a good story is always the way to keep your readership. Taking what you had and throwing it out the window isn't.

The easiest way to drive away long-term readers is to undermine the stories in the comics they've read. It's another excuse to walk away. Taking what you have and telling a good story is always the way to keep your readership. Taking what you had and throwing it out the window isn't.

Great post!

I'm not a big Marvel reader anymore. Everything you said happened in the X-Men and drove me away from those titles.

Everything you say is valid no matter what the publisher and no matter what the character.