• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPS Arrived At My LCS Earlier Than Santa - ASM #545 & Others

152 posts in this topic

Joe Q on Sins of the Past storyline: "So, yes, I came up with the idea of Norman (doing that nasty with Gwen) and still stand by it, but I assumed Joe also thought it was a cool idea, he did all the research and came back with a methodology within continuity that made it work; it was pretty damn brilliant. He wrote the heck out of the story -- it’s one of my favorites." :screwy:

Do we really need to know anymore about Joe Q's thinking process on what is and is not a good story idea.?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=138450&GSub=12952

This sucks for more of a personal reason for me. I drew this recreation of ASM Annual 21 cover artwork for a friend of mine for his wedding. He's a big comic book fan and I wanted to give him and his new wife something unique and special. He said he loved it and it still hangs in his living room to this day.

Now, I only wonder what he sees when he looks at that artwork. It was supposed to represent their marriage, but now that Joe Q retconned that issue out of existance, is the symbolism of that gift retconned as well? I would hope not.

For me, the Spider-Wedding happened. It's OMD/BND I choose not to recognise.

1. Wow- great looking cover recreation!

2. Interesting how many fans chose to take the same approach to Sins Past... and how it's coming out now that the writer regrets this story. Given more time, I wonder if we'll be reading a report from JoeQ's regret over this decision... and an eventual retcon of it? hm

3. THIS wedding counted. They might write the stories, but we can choose what we accept as canon and what we do not accept. Look at the Norton Anthology of Western Literature (often heralded as the benchmark for what is and is not canon). It's never exactly the same edition to the next. Who says we have to accept this addition?

They were never concerned about Reed and Sue possibly getting divorced. They were even separated for several issues. I don't understand why they just didn't follow that path. It could have been a compelling storyline. They could have even referenced the baby. A lot of couples divorce after the loss of a child. JQ could have achieved his goal of having Spider-Man single and wrapped up a loose end at the same time.

They were never concerned about Reed and Sue possibly getting divorced. They were even separated for several issues. I don't understand why they just didn't follow that path. It could have been a compelling storyline. They could have even referenced the baby. A lot of couples divorce after the loss of a child. JQ could have achieved his goal of having Spider-Man single and wrapped up a loose end at the same time.

JoeyQ saddled Spidey with alot of additional baggage (garbage) during JMS's run. The Totem, organic shooters, Gwen/Osborne love tryst and kids, unmasking, etc. I bet he looked at all the wreckage and decided they all had to go in addition to the marriage...

Jim

Talked to one of my local comic store owners today about OMD after a customer had asked about it, and wanted to know if it was as bad as he had heard.

I couldn't help myself and had let out a bit of a humorous "snort" at the question.

Which led to a friendly discussion. The LCS owner potentially shot himself in the foot (money wise) and told the customer that the book wasn't buying. However the customer was appreciative for the advice and asked for another title to pickup instead. So all sides won in this instance. (thumbs u

The owner stated that he obviously was a collector before being a dealer and hated what was being done to Spidey and didn't want to push on his customers. :applause:

Of course he still had sold Image titles and other in the store. lol

This is the most traffic I've seen in Modern in ages...

I've been reading this thread with a sick fascination. I dropped the Spider-titles in the early 90s because I didn't like where they were headed....but looking back now that almost seems like a lost golden age. :eek:

Many great points have been made about what a ridiculous storyline this is...but Kevin's early point about "if this isn't out of character [to make a deal with the devil], than I have no idea what these characters are all about" rings especially true to me. The Peter Parker I've read about for 30+ years wouldn't do that, no way no how. If they wanted to separate Pete and MJ, I don't agree with the choice but there were any number of decent paths to take. Lousy, lousy writing.

I can certainly relate to the comments here, as I remember the anger I had with the post-Crisis Byrne Superman reboot. Rather than do an Alan Moore-style revamp (everything that happened really happened, but not quite in the way we were led to believe), they hit the big reset button, invalidating decades of Superman stories, trashing Legion continuity, etc. A perfect jumping off point for this then-twenty-something fan. :hi:

Except... that was probably a smart business move on DC's part. Truth to tell, I had already dropped the Superman books years before, and had dropped the Legion books when Giffen stopped drawing a year or two previously. So DC was making absolutely no money off my Bronze Age collection. Would they have gotten me back as a new comics reader if they had been more deft in their execution of the post-Crisis reboot? Doubtful, actually. :(

So Joe Q had a definite plan to move Spider-Man from point A to point B, and point B required Spidey not to have the "baggage" associated with being a husband or a widower or a divorcee. He didn't particularly care the path taken to get from A to B, just that the character arrive at the point B destination he had in mind. In fact, reading the JMS explanation, JMS apparently wanted to do an even bigger continuity reset, erasing Gwen's death, etc.

The big question is: Does Joe Q really think he can bring in new, young Spidey readers by removing the old-married-guy baggage supposedly attached to Peter Parker? That is, does he really think in 2008 there are new comics readers waiting for a fresh approach to Spidey in the same way there were new readers ready to try out the Byrne Superman reboot twenty years ago? If so, then more power to him, but what's the strategy beyond "if you build it, they'll come?" (shrug)

This is the most traffic I've seen in Modern in ages...

I've been reading this thread with a sick fascination. I dropped the Spider-titles in the early 90s because I didn't like where they were headed....but looking back now that almost seems like a lost golden age. :eek:

Many great points have been made about what a ridiculous storyline this is...but Kevin's early point about "if this isn't out of character [to make a deal with the devil], than I have no idea what these characters are all about" rings especially true to me. The Peter Parker I've read about for 30+ years wouldn't do that, no way no how. If they wanted to separate Pete and MJ, I don't agree with the choice but there were any number of decent paths to take. Lousy, lousy writing.

Great points, Jon. (thumbs u

Believe it or not, I haven't cancelled the title from my five book pull list yet. Breaking up is hard to do... :insane:

Believe it or not, I haven't cancelled the title from my five book pull list yet. Breaking up is hard to do... :insane:

Perhaps I can be of some assistance:

:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

Don't mention it! Anytime. (thumbs u

The big question is: Does Joe Q really think he can bring in new, young Spidey readers by removing the old-married-guy baggage supposedly attached to Peter Parker? That is, does he really think in 2008 there are new comics readers waiting for a fresh approach to Spidey in the same way there were new readers ready to try out the Byrne Superman reboot twenty years ago? If so, then more power to him, but what's the strategy beyond "if you build it, they'll come?" (shrug)

Very good question.

I would think that I'm at least somewhat part of the nebulous demographic you refer to...I'm obviously a huge Spidey fan and a diehard comic guy, but haven't been a regular reader of ASM for many years. A quality storyline with quality talent and a fresh take on the character "could" bring me back to the title...but somehow, I don't think this is it.

Very good question.

I would think that I'm at least somewhat part of the nebulous demographic you refer to...I'm obviously a huge Spidey fan and a diehard comic guy, but haven't been a regular reader of ASM for many years. A quality storyline with quality talent and a fresh take on the character "could" bring me back to the title...but somehow, I don't think this is it.

thinking about it like that makes me feel a little better about One More Day.

Perhaps I can be of some assistance:

Don't mention it! Anytime. (thumbs u

:tonofbricks:

Just read the first 10 pages of Brand New Day. Despite my loathing of OMD, BND is pretty damn fun so far. There's even references to Spider-Man Loves MJ in it (my fave spidey title)! Slott's a perfect fit for Spidey, and McNiven's art is gorgeous. Too bad it's only a 3 issue stint.

I'll read it and I'll like it!

You old continuity farts can go read the silver age and bronze age stuff repetively all day. See, no change! You gotta grow and change with the ages. Those were the simplest minded stories ever. Brain rot, I call em. I wanna see what happens to the new Spidey!.