• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

I got this one at Mid-Ohio last November after I fell in love with the color scheme. DC had an infinite variety of colors on their covers. It's hard to imagine what a rack of these comics would have looked like...I'm sure I would have bought every issue if I had grown up in the late 50"s!

MGA29.jpg

Here is a great Kirby Crater Creature cover - not to be confused with the later Thor foes - The Lava Men.

TOTU_22.jpg

Doesn't this issue have a Kirby Thor (pre-JIM) story?

That was #16

Yes, 16 appears earlier in this thread. Overstreet is full of it when they say that the Thor character in TOTU #16's "The Magic Hammer" is "not like later Thor". This Thor looks almost exactly like Odin in JIM.... and their hammers are identical.

It's quite obvious why DC never reprinted this.

Bill

Can you help me out here because it isn't obvious to me. :popcorn:

Can you help me out here because it isn't obvious to me. :popcorn:

Very well... By popular demand... Never reprinted....until NOW!

Kirby's "THE MAGIC HAMMER" from Tales of the Unexpected #16...Enjoy!

TOTU16_01.jpg

TOTU16_02.jpg

TOTU16_03.jpg

TOTU16_04.jpg

TOTU16_05.jpg

TOTU16_06.jpg

Thanks, AF!

But it still looks to me like something DC should reprint.

Thanks, AF!

Oh, I agree. I am just speculating that DC never reprinted it because of the strong similarities to Marvel's Thunder god.

This is prior work and presumably has an up to date copyright. Shouldn't be any reason to worry and it's not like Kirby, Lee or anyone at Marvel invented the Norse God, Thor.

Thanks, AF!

Oh, I agree. I am just speculating that DC never reprinted it because of the strong similarities to Marvel's Thunder god.

This is prior work and presumably has an up to date copyright. Shouldn't be any reason to worry and it's not like Kirby, Lee or anyone at Marvel invented the Norse God, Thor.

I don't think its because of that -- rather I would think that the editors at DC might have thought readers could have been confused to see a Kirby Thor in a DC mag.

During the early 70s, a lot of DC's sci-fi was being reprinted in giant size reprint titles like Strange Adventures and From Beyond the Unknown - and Kirby had just left Marvel in a huff. Maybe Kirby and the DC editors wanted this story buried to avoid any Marvel connection. Ooo, sounds like a conspiracy theory ... or just some good ol' fashion Kentucky windage!

Again, pure speculation.