• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

if batman ashcan existed

37 posts in this topic

Love it! Keep them coming. If you cannot take a joke, you need to figure out what went wrong in your childhood. Any "real" ashcans can successfully be documented with all the knowledge on these boards. Let the guy have fun I say!

how did the secure copyright trademark on batman name and green lantern name?

Perhaps they did it the old fashioned way and sent in copies of the published comics.

(thumbs u

how did the secure copyright trademark on batman name and green lantern name?

Perhaps they did it the old fashioned way and sent in copies of the published comics.

Considering the already owned the characters, I doubt there was any rush to beat others to get the copyrights, no?

Ashcan/Comics - how old are you?

Now that is an interesting question.

I collect comics only golden age superman is my favourite character.

Action Comics 1,3,5,7,8,9,10,13,15,17,18,19,20to25

Superman 1,2,3,4,5

Tec 28,29,30,31,33,34,35,36,37

to name a few

so asking how hold I am seems pointless

Thanks

Ashcan/Comics

so why a superman , wonder women ashcan they already owned the characters.

Ashcans were used to secure claim to the titles, not the characters.

Right, but why secure a title on a character you already own? Wouldn't that be copyright infringement on part of anyone else that tried it?

If I started a comic book called "Amazing Spider-Man Comics" featuring my own characters - regardless of who - do you think it would stand up in court?

I don't know why they need one for Superman or Wonder Women (sic). Maybe they're fakes, or maybe our presumptions re: ashcans are off.

Do I think it would stand up in court now after years of association and TM to a single character? No.

Do I think in 1939 someone could make a comic called "Superman Comics" and it stars "Johnny Weismuller - the real live Superman", or "Jesse Owens, Superman of the Olympics"? Possibly. The character had not already been entrenched and they were wishing to secure the title before someone tried to get it first.

Marvel certainly started a title called Captain Marvel Comics in the 60s, even though the character had long been published by someone else.

so why a superman , wonder women ashcan they already owned the characters.

Ashcans were used to secure claim to the titles, not the characters.

Right, but why secure a title on a character you already own? Wouldn't that be copyright infringement on part of anyone else that tried it?

If I started a comic book called "Amazing Spider-Man Comics" featuring my own characters - regardless of who - do you think it would stand up in court?

I don't know why they need one for Superman or Wonder Women (sic). Maybe they're fakes, or maybe our presumptions re: ashcans are off.

You secure the "trademark" not the copyright and you do it to avoid knock-offs or someone using your company's reputation. If you try to start a hamburger business you'll get in trouble if you call it "McDonald's" because they've trademarked that name. You can however can get into some other business called McDonalds (e.g. McDonald's Undersea Exploration). If the burger company wanted to prevent that then they would have to trademark a host of McDonald's names -- which is akin to what the publisher was trying to do.

Do I think it would stand up in court now after years of association and TM to a single character? No.

Do I think in 1939 someone could make a comic called "Superman Comics" and it stars "Johnny Weismuller - the real live Superman", or "Jesse Owens, Superman of the Olympics"? Possibly. The character had not already been entrenched and they were wishing to secure the title before someone tried to get it first.

Marvel certainly started a title called Captain Marvel Comics in the 60s, even though the character had long been published by someone else.

Either Fawcett let the trademark lapse or refused to enforce it and therefore lost it. DC had to call their character Shazam to avoid infringing on the trademark that Marvel now owned via assertion. I'm not a lawyer so happy to have someone translate this into something much lawyer-like involving numerous large latin words.