• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,217 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

The Fantasy Fan #10, June 1934. Finding original copies of this digest-sized fanzine is incredibly difficult, having a complete set is a truly remarkable accomplishment (I’ve managed only half a set, so far). I’d say individual issues are very rare in any type of mid-or-higher grade.

This issue is notable for first publication of Lovecraft’s short From Beyond, a story that combines sci-fi and horror (the premise being that our five senses are inadequate to take note of everything that surrounds us). Not regarded as one of HPL’s best efforts, but I like it. The story was later reprinted in Weird Tales, 2/38.

A480F499-75C1-45BF-A398-57D122F30ED2.jpeg

B2CA2607-39AB-4C60-9F88-FCF644923D23.jpeg

Steve you wouldn't want to walk the streets of Elizabeth in this day and age love the Lovecraft (thumbsu

A replica of the 1927 Amazing Stories Annual is available on Amazon for just $10. Original publication date was 7/15/27. 

The main story, Burroughs’ Master Mind of Mars, was purchased by Hugo Gernsback for one-third the normal rate from the author. The novel would appear in book form the following year, 1928.

Gernsback was notoriously cheap in commissioning illustrations for any story, but here we get ten Frank Paul interior drawings to compliment the text.

All-in-all, an appealing package! :cloud9:

556A4051-6DB5-48B8-9D19-AB9C8C802DBB.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Some fun pulp covers, I believe all by Paul.

fantastic adventures april 1940.jpg

amazing stories august 1926 001.jpg

Wonder Stories.jpg

Nice ones Steve! Sure had fun at the paperback show with you and sacentaur. Still looking at my pile. Man, we were lucky to get it in. shortly after that all hell broke loose. Hope you are staying home and are safe. Sure glad to have the boards and the GA section.

4 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Some fun pulp covers, I believe all by Paul.

Wonder Stories.jpg

I still need to track down a copy of this one at a price I like.  I won an auction a year or so ago from DTA, but there was internal damage so I had to return it.  And it seems like any buy it now copies just get listed as sky high for the condition.

50 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I won an auction a year or so ago from DTA, but there was internal damage so I had to return it.  And it seems like any buy it now copies just get listed as sky high for the condition.

DTA has an impressive selection of pulps, but their ridiculous sky-high prices and questionable grading (I’m being kind here) is such a turn-off I just can’t be bothered with them. Shame.

38 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

DTA has an impressive selection of pulps, but their ridiculous sky-high prices and questionable grading (I’m being kind here) is such a turn-off I just can’t be bothered with them. Shame.

Why I waited until they put it at auction, starting at half their buy it now price.  I will give them this:  They gave me no grief on the return, and they didn't relist the book.  I fault their pricing and grading skills, not how they treat me as a customer the few times I've dealt with them.  And sometimes they're just the only game in town.

20 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Why I waited until they put it at auction, starting at half their buy it now price.  I will give them this:  They gave me no grief on the return, and they didn't relist the book.  I fault their pricing and grading skills, not how they treat me as a customer the few times I've dealt with them.  And sometimes they're just the only game in town.

I saw this morning that an eBay seller listed a bunch of Argosy pulps, only to be disenchanted with one listing after another regarding grade/price. Then I noticed the seller ‘topnotch13’ is just another name for DTA (items cross-posted across both accounts). Sigh. 

Customer service may be great, but if a seller can’t grade worth beans and also charges multiple times FMV for any product, all I want to do is run away.

23 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I saw this morning that an eBay seller listed a bunch of Argosy pulps, only to be disenchanted with one listing after another regarding grade/price. Then I noticed the seller ‘topnotch13’ is just another name for DTA (items cross-posted across both accounts). Sigh. 

Customer service may be great, but if a seller can’t grade worth beans and also charges multiple times FMV for any product, all I want to do is run away.

The way to deal with Dave is this:  Ask him to give you extra scans on a book that you are interested in, ask him to look at the page quality, then make an offer.

Sometimes he’ll take an offer at 70% of what he’s asking, sometimes 50%, sometimes he won’t move at all because it’s a consignment book.  I agree his pricing is high and his grading can be a l loose or inconsistent, but that’s my advice to anyone.  This works especially well if you Email Dave and ask him to pull the book and then get him on the phone and have him describe it.  If it’s a book you really want, there is a little bit of extra time that needs to be taken, but big deal, as I do this with John Gunnison and his auctions.  If a collector thinks that it is too much of a hassle, then I guess he/she does not want to book that bad.

You are right on with your customer service comment, David’s an honest person.  I have sold him 2 collections of over $10,000 each and the money was wired immediately, no problems.  I dropped five figures with him when he came up with 35 Shadow Strasser's from an old time collection years back,and I have bought some individual high-grade books that he had just gotten in, and I had no problems with him at all, but there is a process. 😜

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I used to love Dave back in the day.  But since he (or his son) has gone eBay I avoid like the plague.