• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,119 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

With a very few exceptions, there isn't that much demand for Amazing Stories among SF fans.  It's beloved as the first SF pulp and a classic name, but for much of its history it's been viewed as a third rate title where stuff that couldn't get published elsewhere, or fringe weirdness, winds up.  I sometimes describe it as I love Amazing Stories because, well, it's Amazing Stories... but in most (not all) cases I don't actually like it very much.

With that said, those are some amazing looking books with wonderful covers!

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective.

While I suspected the literary content wasn’t first rate, the publication was a pathfinder, the Paul covers epitomize the genre, and the bedsheets are appealing. I admit that I find Amazing Stories quite compelling!

If there are any hardcore Blue Book collectors here that might help me identify the issue this one was printed within - I would be grateful.  Heritage could (would?) not identify it as Flanagan, and I was able to acquire it for pennies due to the lacking attribution.  I assume the title for the story is "Reverie", and this is definitely later Flanagan work (post 1940 - I believe closer to 1950).

flanagan BB 2.jpg

20 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective.

While I suspected the literary content wasn’t first rate, the publication was a pathfinder, the Paul covers epitomize the genre, and the bedsheets are appealing. I admit that I find Amazing Stories quite compelling!

Eric is right, but for perspective, serious SciFi heads always considered pretty much everything before the Campbell Astounding era to be naive and somewhat wooden, but every collector has always carved out certain earlier niches, whether weird fantasy or space opera or victorian sci fi (Verne, Wells etc) as beloved. 

The sweet thing is that current taste has evolved around cover art and the pre-Campbell pulps have such wonderful and fun covers, many at approachable prices!

So, went to the bookstore this morning, making sure I got there right as they opened and I was the only customer.  I figure that's a decent balance between social distancing and supporting local businesses.  I fully expect a shelter in place order in the next few days, so wanted to help out while I could.  A couple very different books for this thread, here's the first.  Not my first pulp with an Ellery Queen story, but still fun to get:

Blue_Book_1939_June.jpg

7 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

So, went to the bookstore this morning, making sure I got there right as they opened and I was the only customer.  I figure that's a decent balance between social distancing and supporting local businesses.  I fully expect a shelter in place order in the next few days, so wanted to help out while I could.  A couple very different books for this thread, here's the first.  Not my first pulp with an Ellery Queen story, but still fun to get:

Blue_Book_1939_June.jpg

Might have been a good thing to go. They closed down all non necessary stores real FAST here. No shows, junk stores, comic book stores or book shops open in my area. :sorry:I'm a little surprised that in your area this hasn't happened already.

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Blue_Book_1939_June.jpg

That is one on my list... sweet.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Virgil Finlay Original Illustration Art- Thrilling Wonder Stories- Summer 1954. From a story called “Process Shot”- page 15. 
Just picked up a copy of the pulp too.  

D2A77147-2A78-440D-9071-3D5CD0B4C73E.jpeg

SO nice Rick..... I've been eying those Finley originals for years.... they're always just a little higher than I can afford, but they're still reasonable for as intricately magnificent as they are. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Virgil Finlay Original Illustration Art- Thrilling Wonder Stories- Summer 1954. From a story called “Process Shot”- page 15. 
Just picked up a copy of the pulp too.  

D2A77147-2A78-440D-9071-3D5CD0B4C73E.jpeg

This is very cool.

Virgil Finlay, hardly unknown but seriously underappreciated for his amazing pulp work.