• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,193 posts in this topic

That one's on my huntlist.  Seems like I saw a copy go for stupid monies at Heritage recently (not that it's inordinate, just much more than I'd think an Argosy would go for).

On 5/3/2024 at 5:35 PM, Darwination said:

That one's on my huntlist.  Seems like I saw a copy go for stupid monies at Heritage recently (not that it's inordinate, just much more than I'd think an Argosy would go for).

I can't see a recent sale at Heritage, unless you're counting an assorted lot that included the book.

Naw, that one isn't it, it had deep reds and wasn't in a lot.  I'll see if I can find it - coulda been somewhere else, but I'm sure it was an auction.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:07 PM, Point Five said:

New pickup! Love this awesome cover. The war bonds stamp looks wildly out of place here.... kind of interesting that such a grim cover was on the stands while the war raged on (early 1945). Not exactly the tone that comes to mind when I think of 1945 magazine covers.

gmenwinter1945.thumb.jpg.8a3f594af61528fda77973575f52a273.jpg

I saw that one. Nice score! Skeleton covers on pulps are on fire!

On 5/10/2024 at 7:07 PM, Point Five said:

:whee:

famousfantasticmysteriesdec1946.thumb.jpg.d40bb61228689d80bab988e6cd980da7.jpg

An awesome pick-up and a classic cover!

But also, I'm amazed that we've reached a point where Famous Fantastic Mysteries is a book that warrants the happy dance emoji.  For so long it was a mostly worthless title, and now there are several issues that are genuinely red hot.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:49 PM, OtherEric said:

But also, I'm amazed that we've reached a point where Famous Fantastic Mysteries is a book that warrants the happy dance emoji.  For so long it was a mostly worthless title, and now there are several issues that are genuinely red hot.

Yup, point taken. For me this cover and the August 1946 skull cover are the standouts of the FFM run. They're both stunning. After that, there's maybe another half dozen covers in the run that I like... the rest I can take or leave.

The June 1950 cover with the woman & robot is also seeing some heat, but oddly enough that's one that doesn't do anything for me, and there seem to be a ton of them out there.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:49 PM, OtherEric said:

I agree. This and the related title pulps have some of the most awsome covers in the genre. Some of my most favorite Finlay covers. It seemed that almost every flea market I went to had these if there were pulps there. I bought up all the ones I liked and even upgraded several times. My under copies just sat in my for sale boxes even at very low prices. Not any more. They have pretty much dried up and the prices are now 10 times what I was asking even a year or so ago.

Since I have so many high grade ones, I considered grading them but the cost, dwindling storage space, and the fact I’m not selling them have held me back.