• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2024 at 4:36 AM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

This just arrived. Came very quickly as I bought it from my own country, which I rarely do.

tyhhrt.webp

Maybe I missed it, but I think this is the first pulp slab I've seen with the "classic cover" notation, or a variant on one at least.  And I'm not sure it was really considered a classic cover before they used it as the cover on the @Bookery guide.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:10 PM, OtherEric said:

Maybe I missed it, but I think this is the first pulp slab I've seen with the "classic cover" notation, or a variant on one at least.  And I'm not sure it was really considered a classic cover before they used it as the cover on the @Bookery guide.

xD  Agreed.  Heritage chose the cover because they had the original art in their possession for an upcoming auction, and could capture the art without having to edit around text on a pulp cover.  I was okay with it, because it's an eye-catching piece for a reference book and I liked the overall "red" color theme.  But I'm not sure it's a cover that most people had considered as "classic".  

On 4/20/2024 at 10:10 AM, OtherEric said:

I have seen a number of slabs that say classic cover on them.

That cover is considered a classic cover by most collectors, although the pulp itself is not rare, quite common actually.

Heritage sold the painting a few years back

Edited by detective35

Makes you wonder, what are considered the "classic" covers by the connoisseurs of this forum? It should be a very short list, otherwise the word "classic" loses any meaning. Needless to say, Startling Stories #64 should not be on the list. Not even close. Covers that especially gory, weird, or sexy should not automatically qualify. No Spider or Operator #5 covers are "classic," IMO, though all of them are striking to behold today. A classic has to do more than simply arrest one's vision with lurid action. 

A few off the top of my head:

Shadow - skeleton coming out of curtain - Rozen

WT - Batwoman - Brundage

WT - giant tiger (Golden Blood) - St. John

Shadow - Book of Death with skeleton - Rozen

WT - Skeleton Writing Book - Bok

FFM - Green hooded Skeleton holding people - Finlay

Edited by Sarg

On 4/20/2024 at 5:10 PM, OtherEric said:

Maybe I missed it, but I think this is the first pulp slab I've seen with the "classic cover" notation

I've posted three altogether. That one and these...

hthty.jpg

grtrg.jpg

On 4/20/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sarg said:

Makes you wonder, what are considered the "classic" covers by the connoisseurs of this forum? It should be a very short list, otherwise the word "classic" loses any meaning. Needless to say, Startling Stories #64 should not be on the list. Not even close. Covers that especially gory, weird, or sexy should not automatically qualify. No Spider or Operator #5 covers are "classic," IMO, though all of them are striking to behold today. A classic has to do more than simply arrest one's vision with lurid action. 

WT - Batwoman - Brundage

FFM - Green hooded Skelton holding people - Finlay

August 1928 Amazing Stories... even if it isn't actually Buck Rogers on the cover, it's the Skylark of Space.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:44 PM, Sarg said:

WT - Batwoman - Brundage

FFM - Green hooded Skelton holding people - Finlay

While I agree that 'classic' is somewhat diluted these days, especially in descriptions from certain money grubbing dealers who tout every book they sell as such, who is anyone to lay down the law as to what is classic and to determine what is not?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wacky and art is nothing if not subjective. If some one tells me they have a book they consider a classic...then more power to them. if they're happy with it....great.

There is no gospel on who is right in this matter. (thumbsu 

Edited by Paul © ® ⚽️💙™

On 4/20/2024 at 10:44 AM, Sarg said:

WT - Batwoman - Brundage

FFM - Green hooded Skeleton holding people - Finlay

I'm not going to  get into what individual collectors think is a classic cover,  but more of the collecting community of pulps over long period of time.

I think discerning classic covers by chatting with hundreds of collectors and coming to a common understanding of what multiple people think are classic covers in each title, or what covers are high demand in each run consistently overall long period of time. 

I disagree with the point that there are no classic covered spiders, I think March 34, October 37 and June 1938 are all classic covers for the spider and there could be more,  operator 5 from December 1934 is certainly a classic cover

No one knows the shadow better than I do, and certainly January 1 1933 Shadow millions is a classic cover. The ultimate cover is January 15, 1933 the creeping death. The ultimate shadow image on the cover is the partners of peril from 1936.   Many people like the golden master from 1939 and you can throw in the book of death from the 1940s .  I have missed a few more classic covers (voodoo Master, etc. ). 

However, that goes without saying that one person might think a cover is classic and then another person doesn't which is fine, to each his own.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:57 PM, detective35 said:

I'm not going to  get into what individual collectors think is a classic cover,  but more of the collecting community of pulps over long period of time.

I think discerning classic covers by chatting with hundreds of collectors and coming to a common understanding of what multiple people think are classic covers in each title, or what covers are high demand in each run consistently overall long period of time. 

I disagree with the point that there are no classic covered spiders, I think March 34, October 37 and June 1938 are all classic covers for the spider and there could be more,  operator 5 from December 1934 is certainly a classic cover

No one knows the shadow better than I do, and certainly January 1 1933 Shadow millions is a classic cover. The ultimate cover is January 15, 1933 the creeping death. The ultimate shadow image on the cover is the partners of peril from 1936.   Many people like the golden master from 1939 and you can throw in the book of death from the 1940s .  I have missed a few more classic covers (voodoo Master, etc. ). 

However, that goes without saying that one person might think a cover is classic and then another person doesn't which is fine, to each his own.

Fair enough, but where's the evidence that, e.g., Startling Stories #64 was regarded as classic by collectors "over (a) long period of time"? Covers like this and others so designated by CGC seem very trendy and recent -- unlike Batwoman or Creeping Death, which have been coveted and reproduced many, many times over the past 40 to 50 years. 

On 4/20/2024 at 3:32 PM, Sarg said:

Fair enough, but where's the evidence that, e.g., Startling Stories #64 was regarded as classic by collectors "over (a) long period of time"? Covers like this and others so designated by CGC seem very trendy and recent -- unlike Batwoman or Creeping Death, which have been coveted and reproduced many, many times over the past 40 to 50 years. 

Agreed there are more things lately, but I think that's because with Galactic Central being looked at more as most of the pulp covers are displayed. It becomes almost like the photo journal guide in comics and more people are coming into the market and seeing covers they really like.

I know myself I've gone over every pulp run and kind of picked out a handful of covers that I consider Are they real classic ones in each run.

now some of them that we're talking about are in the top 10 of all pulp magazines.

I'm not of the opinion that the list of classic pulp covers has to be super short.  How many classic covers are there from the GA of comics? I also agree that the term classic gets bandied around way too much.  I do think the Bergey is a classic even if I think lot of his SF covers are overrated (the cheesecake witch on a broom cover is a Startling, too? That one gets called classic, too even if I'm not nuts for it). I live in my own little world, maybe, but kind of think I know a classic when I see it :bigsmile:

Kidding aside, some of it is a matter of taste in the kind of books you like.

il_1080xN.3341159267_ikgx.thumb.jpg.9b10fed2c0fcf04b9914ac0de54ee38e.jpg

My favorite from the run, but I grew up watching bewitched 😆 

With pulps I don't think you're going to find a number of covers considered classic over a long period of time, my pulp fanzines from the 60s and 70s focus on the stories and authors, and rarely mention the art.  By the 90s I have some pulp art books, but what they considered sought after covers has in some cases shifted over time.  One mentions this as the most sought after WT cover

7260955f52af3bde9e14af85f0e59275.jpg.b32e5ae3d4350084d75777ea18e12bb6.jpg

Which judging by recent sales is no longer the case.  I could be wrong but I believe in the 90s the batwoman cover hadn't really broken out yet and was about as sought after as other brundage books.  I think moving forward we will see more solidification in what is considered a classic cover, but collectors can be fickle so that could still be a shifting target.

Barring everything else, I'd give a lot of weight to people more knowledgeable in the hobby like detective and Darwin to what books collectors are chasing based on cover, but also the old rule of thumb stands.  Books I own are classic covers, and books I still need are not and should be avoided by everyone until I get a copy :angel: