• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,141 posts in this topic

That St. John is incredible.  I might like it better than Batwoman even if it's not as iconic. The 1941-11 Bok cover doesn't do it for me (and I LOVE Bok). I didn't realize it has been regarded so highly in the past. 

Imo there are *many* classic WT covers, Finlay, anyone?, and I've really enjoyed seeing some of the late era (and even early era) covers around here lately.  It's kind of weird to see the focus move away from the fiction to the cover art, but WT has a lot to offer as an all around package.  The most collectible of all the pulps? 

On 4/21/2024 at 7:59 AM, ThothAmon said:

To me he is the true Father of fantasy artists. Have a couple prints of his paintings hanging in the boudoir. 

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

For some reason, the St. John pulp covers have fallen off (other than of course, the first Conan story appearance from Dec. 32), but people understand the significance/ magnificance of his  paintings as he is unbelievable!

The weird tales golden blood pulp cover has quieted down, but if that cover painting  was ever released from the New Britain Museum, where Bob Lesser donated his collection to, it would set a world record for highest sale of a pulp painting for sure

Edited by detective35

On 4/21/2024 at 5:31 PM, detective35 said:

Cool pick up

This reminds me of just walking into a secondhand store yesterday and picking up not a pulp but this the first Donald Duck in this  run for $10

IMG_6718.jpeg

That is quite the find in the wild (not even remarking on the ten buck price tag).

On 4/21/2024 at 5:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Flea market pickup today. Not really a pulp but mostly fiction stories. The cover and age just made me grab it.

IMG_8790.jpeg

Not familiar with this mag, but some of the "regional" or "rural" women's/farmer's mags are really well done and full of fiction.  This cover is really playful :bigsmile:

On 4/21/2024 at 2:31 PM, detective35 said:

Cool pick up

This reminds me of just walking into a secondhand store yesterday and picking up not a pulp but this the first Donald Duck in this  run for $10

IMG_6718.jpeg

Now that’s quite the pickup! Congrats!

On 4/21/2024 at 2:52 PM, Darwination said:

Not familiar with this mag, but some of the "regional" or "rural" women's/farmer's mags are really well done and full of fiction.  This cover is really playful :bigsmile:

Me neither. Just liked the cover and price. How often does one find cool magazines this old? The lady had a bunch of 1930’s movie mags as well. All photo covers of pretty much unknown stars. Thought about them but I just didn’t know what I would do with them. 

On 4/20/2024 at 11:46 AM, OtherEric said:

August 1928 Amazing Stories... even if it isn't actually Buck Rogers on the cover, it's the Skylark of Space.

Yes. A classic, though a cover that is a lot less visually striking than many other Amazing Stories covers from the period. Its "classic" status derives from it being reproduced so many times over the decades, plus also, I believe it is the first sci-fi cover to portray a man flying. So a precursor to comic super-heroes. 

On 4/21/2024 at 8:59 AM, ThothAmon said:

To me he is the true Father of fantasy artists. Have a couple prints of his paintings hanging in the boudoir. 

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

St. John is great, but most of his best work was done for books, not pulps. Some of his pulp covers look a little rushed or not very well thought out. "Golden Blood" is a masterpiece, however. 

Just happened to come across this at MCS earlier tonight, sure looks like the swipe source (not mention a neat book).  Swipe is no knock here - Belarski's is a vast improvement art-wise, just obvious "inspiration":

6521553.jpg

6521588.jpg

Just a bit more info at another seller here:
https://www.yesterdaysgallery.com/pages/books/8204/fritz-lang-thea-von-harbou/the-rocket-to-the-moon

Edited by Darwination