• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,212 posts in this topic

What's a good price range for Black Hush or Creeping Death these days. I've got back into buying pulps on a more regular basis to fill some holes or upgrade but

I'm sure the markets changed over the past few years since my last Shadow purchases. Those two are my biggest wants of issues I don't have.

PM me your email or contact info. Nerv

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, here are two more 4 more Shadows that I just picked up for my collection, some are now doubles, some triples.

The first three are from a collection known as the Red Lion collection where the covers might have had some overhang wear, but they are so glossy that the look like they just were printed and have bone white paper.

April 1932 (#9)

RedLion.jpg

RedLion2.jpg

Jan. 1932 (#6)

M455azz.jpg

March 15, 1933

crimeuseyes1-4.jpg

This was another sharp April 1931 that I picked up. It looks as nice as the one above, but not quite as glossy with creamy to off-white paper.

MobsmenontheSpotDF.jpg

Dwight

(thumbs u (worship)

Impossible to find in this condition. :cloud9:

I just picked up an extremely Rare Shadow item for my collection,

[font:Arial Black]"The Shadow Sheet Music"[/font] [font:Arial Black](cira. 1938)[/font].

[font:Arial Black]THE SHADOW SHEET MUSIC[/font]

The 1938 song sheet “The Shadow Knows” features the same image that was used on the cover of a Shadow pulp novel “The Golden Vulture” (July 15, 1938). The song sheet was produced just a few months later in the Fall of 1938 to help promote the new Blue Coal season.

It is unique in that it contains 25 different sections, with 4 pages for each individual orchestral arrangement, while most song sheets only contain 4-6 pages total.

To date there is only 2 known examples in existence, this one being by far the nicest, in VF/NM.

Shadowsheetmusicuse.jpg

SheetMusicaz222jpeg.jpg

MartinGramsSheetMusicTheShadowp179jpeg.jpg

sheetmusicleadsheet.jpg

lyricsheets.jpg

Dwight

I remember finding an April '31 Shadow pulp back in the 70s, long before the foil look became common on paperbacks, and thought the metallic gold ink was the coolest thing I'd seen. I wasn't aware the Jan '32 issue reprinted the cover in Silver.

I know there are a couple silver foil comics from the Golden Age, but are there other pulps that used metallic inks?

Just thought I would put a couple of pulps from my collection.

One is a classic cover and the "one page Human Torch AD for Marvel Mystery Comics.

The copy is from the Frank Robinson collection. I have owned a file copy and this one blows it away. The only issue that I have ever seen that is slightly better (without the bottom overhang tear is the Yakima).

MarvelStoriesfc1sm.jpg

MarvelStoriesFCanglesm.jpg

This is one of the all-time classic pulp covers. The artist Graves Gladney said that he did not know what to image to paint on the cover, and he glanced over in his office and saw his large paper cutter.

This copy is also from Frank Robinson's collection, but not the one auctioned off in his auction. This was his original copy which was higher grade and I traded him a copy in slightly less condition plus cash.

img214b-2.jpg

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF