• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,145 posts in this topic

Really amazing pulps Dwight (and BZ)! Care to share how you came across these file copies?

Enquiring minds want to know. :shy:

I too would also love to hear the story on how you acquired those nice pulps. Please share it with us, if you would like.

In the meantime...this isn't mine, but it's one of the COOLEST covers I've seen...

SPICY MYSTERY STORIES AUGUST 1935

SpicyMystery8-35GREENSKULL.jpg

How could you have resisted picking this up ?

The GREEN SKULL with BLOOD DRIPPING from it's BONY FINGERS...YOWZA !!!

I would love to see a full color image of a newsstand from the 1930's. More than likely, one doesn't exist.

No where near as Dwight's WU FANG's, but I was pleased to win this on ebay last week for what I thought was a bargain price. SOLID pulp, minor spine split at top, complete unfaded spine, tanning but supple pages.

I have been after this book (and run) for a while... if anyone has a lead on an issue #2 or #, LMK! (thumbs u

DOCTOR DEATH #1, 1935:

drdeath1post.jpg 

Very nice book Ryan..Great Job!!

Here are a couple of more Shadow covers!

SHAD_7_001.jpg

I just picked up this very nice copy of Shadow #7 - "The Silent Seven", February 1932 (near white paper).

Goldenmaster1.jpg

The "Golden Master" - September 15, 1939. Classic Shiwan Khan cover!

Edited by detective35DF

Really amazing pulps Dwight (and BZ)! Care to share how you came across these file copies?

Enquiring minds want to know. :shy:

I too would also love to hear the story on how you acquired those nice pulps. Please share it with us, if you would like.

In the meantime...this isn't mine, but it's one of the COOLEST covers I've seen...

SPICY MYSTERY STORIES AUGUST 1935

SpicyMystery8-35GREENSKULL.jpg

How could you have resisted picking this up ?

The GREEN SKULL with BLOOD DRIPPING from it's BONY FINGERS...YOWZA !!!

I would love to see a full color image of a newsstand from the 1930's. More than likely, one doesn't exist.

Where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the ........holy macacotonga...that is one hot mama!

Very nice book Ryan..Great Job!!

Here are a couple of more Shadow covers!

SHAD_7_001.jpg

I just picked up this very nice copy of Shadow #7 - "The Silent Seven", February 1932 (near white paper).

Goldenmaster1.jpg

The "Golden Master" - September 15, 1939. Classic Shiwan Khan cover!

Awesome SHADOW's Dwight, as always!!! I really, REALLY like those earliest SHADOWs.

Whats the earliest SHADOW you have with the SHADOW on the cover?

Ryan,

The earliest Shadow that has the Shadow on it that resembles the modern day Shadow is #8 (March 1932). He is on the cover of #6 (Jan.32), but that is just an image in a cowl.

Here is one of the two copies of it I have (March 1932...first modern Shadow).

SHAD_8_003-2.jpg

Here is a group shot of a group of high grade white paged 1932 (one 1933) Shadows I picked up on a trade for a rare hardcover book ("Gent from Bear Creek"...by Howard) a couple of years back.

The other that I have March 1932 that I have, is a nice FN/FN+ with a new look to it, just some overhang wear on the bottom. One other book was FN+, the rest in the VF range.

shadowgroup.jpg

Here is another earlier Shadow that I just picked up in the last little while.

"Shadow's Shadow" - February 1, 1933

shadow_sfront11.jpg

Edited by detective35DF

Hi BZ,

Yes I noticed the Jerome Rozen re-creation. I will bid mildly on it, but the bottom line is not the original, it is a copy (even though Jerome did some early Shadow covers).

There is a painter who does re-creations and is the best I have ever seen, and even Bob Lesser has said that his work is absolutley stunning, second to none (see below!).

BofDeathpainting2.jpg

The artist's name is Thomas Gianni from Chicago

(773)267-8832.

He will do a 21" x 30" oil painting with multiple clear coats for around $1000.00. Here is the "Book of Death" (above) he did for me, so you can judge for yourself.

As far as the advertising posters go, the two that I just posted are 11" x 14". The Shadow is very rare, and actually I am looking for another copy of this poster(same one).

I have another two Shadow items coming, but I will wait until I get them.

OK, thought you might like these. My friend George Chastain, artist and punster, painted these back in the 1970s (man, has it been that long...) *except for the K-9 which was done for PulpCon in 1990. If you've never seen them, they are a hoot. I don't know where the originals are now.

Again, sorry about my stupid scanner.

They speak for themselves.

k-9.jpg

jailbird1.jpg

sausage.jpg

waddler.jpg

wun.jpg

As the Waddler says, the weed of crime bears Juicy Fruit!

Joe

For my 100th posting I wanted to put up something special, so here is my very favorite pulp magazine, Amazing Stories for August 1928. Not only does it have one of the greatest covers ever, it introduces Buck Rogers and the entire space opera genre with Edward Elmer Smith's "The Skylark of Space". I'm a big Smith fan and this is a great novel and a great ride. It's the cover story, although it certainly looks like Buck.

And not only that, but at the time this was published, one of Hugo Gernsback's employees was a young Martin Goodman, later to launch Marvel Comics. Goodman was known for personally reviewing the covers of his publications, seeing that look which would attract attention on a crowded newsstand, and this cover must have impressed him greatly. In addition, he took from Gernsback how well to use logos and buzzwords. He appropriated the logo style for his Marvel Mystery Comics and Marvel Science Fiction pulps, and the word "Amazing" for various publications, including a comic book, and a crime magazine, Amazing Detective Cases.

When I first saw this magazine back in the early 1970s it was a full-page black and white picture in Jim Steranko's excellent History of the Comics. Jim loves pulps and also reveres this cover. When I saw it I had to stop everything and stare at it for a very long time. Truly one of my youthful icons.

All in all, an important and beautiful pulp.

Joe

amazing8-28.jpg

The Pig of Bronze! :roflmao:

Those were terrific!

sausage.jpg