• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,145 posts in this topic

But wait! There's more! At the 1990 Pulpcon were given away copies of the pulp parody K-9, written by Michael Avalone and illustrated by George Chastain (and designed by Richard Greene).

So here is in all it's glory "The Doggone Patrol" by Robert J. Hokum.

Hope you can read them OK. If you lose the margin, just right click on view picture.

Joe

k-9-1.jpg

k-9-2.jpg

k-9-3.jpg

k-9-4.jpg

k-9-5.jpg

k-9-6.jpg

How come you have 8000+ posts but it says "Total Newbie"?

That's the Moderators' brand of irony humor ;) What's good though is that after 8000+ posts, I still don't have a custom title to reflect on any stupid posts I might have made. I wear my Custom Title-lessness as a badge of honor! (thumbs u

For my 100th posting I wanted to put up something special, so here is my very favorite pulp magazine, Amazing Stories for August 1928. Not only does it have one of the greatest covers ever, it introduces Buck Rogers and the entire space opera genre with Edward Elmer Smith's "The Skylark of Space". I'm a big Smith fan and this is a great novel and a great ride. It's the cover story, although it certainly looks like Buck.

And not only that, but at the time this was published, one of Hugo Gernsback's employees was a young Martin Goodman, later to launch Marvel Comics. Goodman was known for personally reviewing the covers of his publications, seeing that look which would attract attention on a crowded newsstand, and this cover must have impressed him greatly. In addition, he took from Gernsback how well to use logos and buzzwords. He appropriated the logo style for his Marvel Mystery Comics and Marvel Science Fiction pulps, and the word "Amazing" for various publications, including a comic book, and a crime magazine, Amazing Detective Cases.

When I first saw this magazine back in the early 1970s it was a full-page black and white picture in Jim Steranko's excellent History of the Comics. Jim loves pulps and also reveres this cover. When I saw it I had to stop everything and stare at it for a very long time. Truly one of my youthful icons.

All in all, an important and beautiful pulp.

Joe

amazing8-28.jpg

Very nice. :cloud9:I have been eyeing copies as they turn up.

Ironically, this pulp is not scarce, even by pulp standards. For those who don't know, pulps are scarcer than Golden Age comics, due to age, crappy paper, disposable quality, war paper drives. The science fiction pulps seem to be much less scarce, probably because they were collected. Even the early Amazings are available, it's usually just a matter of price.

The hero pulps, especially the early ones, are really tough. I've seen very few Shadow No.1s offered, few Doc Savage 1s. Some of the Red Circle pulps are almost impossible to find.

Joe

That's the Moderators' brand of irony humor ;) What's good though is that after 8000+ posts, I still don't have a custom title to reflect on any stupid posts I might have made. I wear my Custom Title-lessness as a badge of honor! (thumbs u

Another forumite said the same thing and Arch fixed that problem. :whistle:

Another forumite said the same thing and Arch fixed that problem. :whistle:

:gossip: Arch doesn't read the GA forum.

You need a custom title. Have you noticed that for years now, our post counts have always been within about 100 count of each other ... Yeah, I pay too much attention to details ...

My recent acquisition and a great cover to boot. Classic Brundage and a Conan Story inside

WEIRDTALESBRUNDAGE.jpg

ECComic, that is one of my fav WEIRD TALES covers as well... one of two issues I own from that run. Congrats on a great pulp acquisition!! :applause:

Thanks Ryan

A better pic of my copy:

WEIRDTALESBRUNDAGEJAN34.jpg

Very nice EC... wish I had a shot of mine handy, but I think it is a notch or two below your copy.

(worship)

:applause: