• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

here's some scans of mostly new purchases

I like the Stirring Science Stories (I'd take anything with a Bok cover).

Here are a couple more Stirring Science Stories with covers by Hannes Bok.

April 1941

stirringscience194104.jpg

June 1941

stirringscience194106.jpg

I only own four Saunders cover pulps, but they are a nice representation of his work. The NEW MYSTERY ADVENTURE is a tough book to find!

IMG_4549_zpsewhuscel.jpg

MYSTADVENjune1936_zps4ac960e4.jpeg

Great group of pulps, Ryan. :applause:

I love the Mystery Adventure cover. It's one I've never owned.

Maybe one of these days... :wishluck:

One final related item from SDCC:

cfa0e87e-914e-4a0b-856e-655fb20e49d7_zpsscxizu6n.jpg

Did you get that at the con Steve? Is it signed by the creator of Wonder Woman?

Yes, SDCC - I'm not following the Wonder Woman question (sorry).

Is it signed "HPL" or "KPL"? Its tough to read, but I'm guessing this is an "HPL" related item...

Yes, it's an HPL postcard.

Morton and Coates were part of Lovecraft's inner circle (Coates also published the Driftwind magazine/fanzine that HPL acknowledges receiving in the first line).

I only own four Saunders cover pulps, but they are a nice representation of his work. The NEW MYSTERY ADVENTURE is a tough book to find!

IMG_4549_zpsewhuscel.jpg

MYSTADVENjune1936_zps4ac960e4.jpeg

Great group of pulps, Ryan. :applause:

I love the Mystery Adventure cover. It's one I've never owned.

Maybe one of these days... :wishluck:

Got that Spicy Bang? Post it and you will hear the sobs of collectors all across the country.

I might be reading the black signature wrong. What is the significance to San Diego. I'm too lazy to read it sideways.

Bob, there is no connection to San Diego other than that's where the previous owner lived. How he obtained the postcard (from 1930) we have no idea, other than he was a serious pulp collector.

Bob, there is no connection to San Diego other than that's where the previous owner lived. How he obtained the postcard (from 1930) we have no idea, other than he was a serious pulp collector.

What a piece of history to own, congrats!

I wasn't at San Diego, but as far as pulps go I had a pretty good weekend. Here's the first half of my finds, I'll share the others in a day or two:

Planet_Stories_3_12_zpso35tajso.jpg

This one has Ray Bradbury's "Mars Is Heaven", from the Martian Chronicles and one of his best known stories.

Planet_Stories_4_09_zpsf3fuz7ak.jpg

I already had a copy of this one in even worse shape; it's noteworthy for the Fredric Brown (they spell it right inside, at least) story and the only story John D. MacDonald did for Planet.

Planet_Stories_5_07_zpswfsxnfhg.jpg

The dealer had this marked as an early Philip K. story. (Insert brief filter rant here.) Which is correct, as far as it goes. It actually has his first ever published story.

Planet_Stories_5_10_zpsw253dym9.jpg

This one isn't as impressive on the writing front, although it does have a John Jakes story for those who like his stuff. The impressive bit is who drew an illustration for the Jakes story. Sorry about the scan quality, it was as flat as I could get it without risking damage to the book.

Planet_Stories_5_10_i_zpsaqu28flj.jpg

I know Wally did a fair number of illos for the digests, Galaxy in particular; but this is the only time I've seen him in a full-size pulp.

And that's the Planets I got this weekend.

Planets are a great run to collect,

Wood has art in three Planet pulps 1/53,9/53 and sum 54 all three are great and of course done at the height of his EC days.

I'll have to look for the other two issues. Just in general I'm getting really close to the threshold on Planet Stories from "Let's grab a few issues" to "I'm trying to put together the run".

And a couple more of my pick-ups:

Thrilling_Wonder_49_02_zps99lblind.jpg

Cover's a bit beat-up even by my standards, but page quality is good and there's some good reading in this one; in addition to the cover story there's a Bradbury and a Sturgeon story

Unknown_40_09_zpsyet2kpwt.jpg

Well, you can see the contents on this one. The Heinlein story is, of course better known as Magic, Inc. But I prefer the original title, myself.

My other two pickups from last week, and one that showed in the mail today:

Amazing_Stories_41_08_zps8zo4jefr.jpg

Amazing_Stories_41_10_zpsmcbvemir.jpg

Clearly just readers, but they were $18 the pair. I'm quite good with that price for John Carter stories, I think... Now I just need to find the June 1941 issue, I've got the other four issues with JC stories from that year.

Planet_Stories_v3_n3_zpskpb1azuh.jpg

In addition to the cover story, this one has "The Million Year Picnic" from The Martian Chronicles. I think I now have every major story from that that first appeared in the sci-fi magazines. (I'm missing a couple of the super-short chapters in pulps and all the longer stories that showed in the slicks.) I've never read the cover story, really looking forward to seeing what happened when Brackett couldn't finish a story and handed it to Bradbury to complete.