• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

A quick question for the pulp experts out there: What pulps have covers illustrating Lovecraft stories? Is it just the Feb and June Astoundings, or are there others? As far as I know, for some reason he never got the cover art on Weird Tales.

I'm not an expert, but those are the only two I know of where the cover art is for HPL's story.

A quick question for the pulp experts out there: What pulps have covers illustrating Lovecraft stories? Is it just the Feb and June Astoundings, or are there others? As far as I know, for some reason he never got the cover art on Weird Tales.

March, April, and May/June/July 1924 Weird Tales ghostwriting for Houdini.

March, April, and May/June/July 1924 Weird Tales ghostwriting for Houdini.

Ooh, good catch on the May/June/July 1924 issue. Did Lovecraft do the ghostwriting for Houdini on the March and April issues, though? I don't recall ever seeing that attributed to him... which doesn't mean it wasn't his work.

And Redfury's sig line shows why Lovecraft only got the cover once on Weird Tales, despite being one of their superstars... his stories just don't lend themselves to images of scantily clad females.

Normally, I wouldn't bother posting this, since sacentaur just showed a copy that's been quoted and reshown several times the past couple weeks.

But this isn't just another pulp. This... this is a grail book. And unlike a lot of my pulps, this one is in extremely nice shape:

Astounding_1936_06_zpskig4ozdp.jpg

The stress lines along the spine are far less obtrusive on the actual book in hand.

A couple of the photos from the seller, to show the condition of the spine and the page quality:

2_zpsnbj6tyvh.jpg

3_zpsuhieiysv.jpg

Grail acquired. What more need I say? :)

Normally, I wouldn't bother posting this, since sacentaur just showed a copy that's been quoted and reshown several times the past couple weeks.

But this isn't just another pulp. This... this is a grail book. And unlike a lot of my pulps, this one is in extremely nice shape:

The stress lines along the spine are far less obtrusive on the actual book in hand.

A couple of the photos from the seller, to show the condition of the spine and the page quality:

2_zpsnbj6tyvh.jpg

3_zpsuhieiysv.jpg

:applause:

That's a nice copy of a great pulp that's difficult to come by in grade.

The colors on that Howard V. Brown cover really pop!

Congratulations on joining the club. (thumbs u

My copy is in superb condition overall, but the colors appear faded on this old scan...

117b5453-8198-4cac-836b-02dca516beb6_zps9c8c7cd7.jpg

The more copies of this gem posted the better, IMO. :grin:

I don't know if it's written anywhere, but I'm 99% sure it was Lovecraft writing for Houdini in the other issues too. It being over 90 years ago now, it'd take someone who is an expert in "forensic writing" to be able to prove it and even then only with a high degree of certainty. Houdini was a great man, just not a writer. Lovecraft on the other hand...

And Lovecraft? He created entire universes where crazy mess happened. People like REH created characters who just so happened to be in other worlds. A lot easier to put characters like Conan on the cover then the Cthulhu Universe; especially if they are wearing two piece bikinis and being sex whipped.

2_zpsnbj6tyvh.jpg

3_zpsuhieiysv.jpg

Terrific copy, Eric - I'm a major PQ guy and your interiors look exceptionally nice. :headbang:

And, fresh out of the mail today, my second pulp with Lovecraft in it:

Weird_Tales_1933_07_zps2ofgrgdq.jpg

Front cover is loose, back cover is missing, but the book itself is otherwise nice page quality and structure. And the list of items where I wanted at least a sample in my collection it ticks off is pretty impressive:

a) I now have a Brundage cover in my collection.

b) I now have a Robert E. Howard story in my collection.

c) I now have a H. P. Lovecraft story in Weird Tales in my collection.

Then, as just plain bonuses, it's also got a 2nd story by Lovecraft, ghost-written for Hazel Heald, and a Hyperborea story by Clark Ashton Smith, before we even get out of the Mythos. I might wish for the Howard story to have been one of his famous characters rather than a random little story, but otherwise it's hard to imagine a better representative issue of the 30's Weird Tales to have in my collection.

Yes- great ish. ‘Green Tea’ by Le Fanu is a classic, and the CAS ‘Ubbo Sathla’ a personal fave. The Quinn story, ‘The Hand of Glory’ intriguing as I wonder if relates to the attached. & Super Brundage… (ps- sure would like to see 'Voodoo Song' the Counselman verse...)

glory.jpg