• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

Few years back, I had a nice copy of this pulp. I (foolishly) sold it for quite a bit, but would pay handsomely for another...just in case anyone out there ever comes across one. Norman Saunders.

167253.jpg.7143028c5d8b6adf0896b1700e23ea77.jpg

Seven years ago when I set out to put together a nice Weird Tales run I also decided to try for the sister publications, Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet.

Boy, are they a lot tougher.

For the first two years I couldn't find any. Then in 2013 I managed to find 4 of the 5 Magic Carpets and 1 of the 9 Oriental Stories. In 2014 I upgraded 2 of the Magic Carpets and added another Oriental Stories. 2015 saw the completion of the Magic Carpet set and the addition of 3 more Oriental Stories, bring the set to 5 out of 9. In 2016 I completed Oriental Stories and upgraded a few more issues.

And today, with the addition of a new collection I just acquired, I've upgraded several more, bringing them all into the high grade range. :banana:

So here they are, the complete high grade sets of Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet.

0otonYsl.jpgIra2B8Al.jpgP7VYDyvl.jpgMZYsRJOl.jpgUCb7TZul.jpg3FCpNncl.jpgZ7Rr7Njl.jpgVMkk7UPl.jpgk6ZCGh9l.jpg12JGLUTl.jpgs9Me9GNl.jpglgDQRx5l.jpgyT4gwwJl.jpgcOqK5HPl.jpg

Every time I see RedFury post here, I just gotta look. He never disapoints. Great group Fury!

Here's a sad story...One time, many years ago, I was at a flea market and a guy had a huge group of old pulps. I really knew nothing about them then. He wanted $5. each and they were nice. I was on my way out and only had about $200. left. So I went through and bought all the horror and girly ones as well as an issue of Zeppelin Stories which I just though was cool until I blew my $200.. I left all but one of the Oriental Stories and Magic Carpets. I was real happy to get what I did, but that was the best pulp find I've ever seen junking...

Every time I see RedFury post here, I just gotta look. He never disapoints. Great group Fury!

Here's a sad story...One time, many years ago, I was at a flea market and a guy had a huge group of old pulps. I really knew nothing about them then. He wanted $5. each and they were nice. I was on my way out and only had about $200. left. So I went through and bought all the horror and girly ones as well as an issue of Zeppelin Stories which I just though was cool until I blew my $200.. I left all but one of the Oriental Stories and Magic Carpets. I was real happy to get what I did, but that was the best pulp find I've ever seen junking...

At least you got a Zeppelin Stories! I'd love to get one of those. :cloud9:

Cool - Golden Fleece should be easy...

A very prescient observation, Pat. These all arrived today too. lol

The first six covers are by Harold Delay. Covers 7 and 9 are Margaret Brundage. 8 is Harold McCauley.

Robert E Howard has stories in #2 and #4. I asked Jeff Shanks about how that happened since Howard died in June 1936 and Golden Fleece #1 came out in Oct 1938. Jeff said Howard's agent, Otis Adelbert Kline, continued to shop Howard's stories to the pulps on behalf of Howard's father.

One other interesting tidbit: issue #4 not only contains Howard, but an early story by L Sprague de Camp. Like two ships passing in the night. Who knew then how closely intertwined they would later become?

GlyIsOfl.jpgzxs4Wirl.jpgmKv5Hxnl.jpgp4rgjEfl.jpga07uu2Hl.jpgvrX7DL0l.jpgyg0Y2lKl.jpgnIZ3Kn1l.jpgygEFenjl.jpg