• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

bosco, as a general response, the dentist is well known in collecting circles... his name and location is no secret...Dave Anderson, aka "the Dentist"... he really is a dentist, he lives in VA, he has maybe one of the top Collections of comics in the world (Church copies of Action 1-25 or so, the Allentown Det 27, best Superman 1 in known existence, etc, etc)... he has been great for the hobby and, as many old time insiders know, he has done harm to this hobby...but to some extent, haven't we all!

So why would the community feel the Dave has hurt the hobby? Is it the prices he paid over market? Is it because once he has the books, he never allows them to be viewed or scanned for publication?

It's an interesting comment that left me wondering.

bosco, as a general response, the dentist is well known in collecting circles... his name and location is no secret...Dave Anderson, aka "the Dentist"... he really is a dentist, he lives in VA, he has maybe one of the top Collections of comics in the world (Church copies of Action 1-25 or so, the Allentown Det 27, best Superman 1 in known existence, etc, etc)... he has been great for the hobby and, as many old time insiders know, he has done harm to this hobby...but to some extent, haven't we all!

So why would the community feel the Dave has hurt the hobby? Is it the prices he paid over market? Is it because once he has the books, he never allows them to be viewed or scanned for publication?

Careful, you just asked 3 questions (tsk)

OK, if this thread doesn`t contain any posts by Sacentaur, then you should also do a search for his posts that contain references to the Dentist or Dave Anderson.

And you can also pull up the one and only post ever made directly on these boards by the Dentist himself, which will indirectly refer to the accusations made against him.

I don't think it is the community that feels that way... most folks have this "god like" admiration for dave, but don't know diddly about him (just the nature of being kept at a distance)... but, there are some long time "insiders" that have knowledge (and some has made it way to the surface) of some way less than ethical things that dave has done... that type info, however, is generally not publicly discussed, as it is both a negative to the hobby, and might have certain implications that folks don't want to be exposed to... powerful folks in the hobby, to a certain extent, "run" the hobby...

as Tim mentioned, some folks have revealed some issues with the dentist... but, trust me, if one really digs deep, one will get dirty

Ohhhhhh. Sorry to tread on those dangerous waters. This is definitely a touchy subject.

So have pictures or scans ever been made of his Action 1 or Detective 27, as it sounds like if they ever were encased you could purchase a small country with these books? I was floored when I read the AC is potentially a 9.2 grade.

But then again, when ComicLink had the only known 9.9 1940's book up for sale a few months ago, that was amazing as well. Who would ever think books like that still existed?

I don't think it is the community that feels that way... most folks have this "god like" admiration for dave, but don't know diddly about him (just the nature of being kept at a distance)... but, there are some long time "insiders" that have knowledge (and some has made it way to the surface) of some way less than ethical things that dave has done... that type info, however, is generally not publicly discussed, as it is both a negative to the hobby, and might have certain implications that folks don't wan to be exposed to... powerful folks in the hobby, due, to a certain extent, "run" the hobby...

Eh, I think a surprisingly large number of things have been publicly aired here, although I have no doubt that there is much much more that has not been discussed here. Certainly Steve C didn`t hesitate to do so, to the point that Dave felt compelled to post a response here. And if I recall, the thread about the MH GL #1 contained some more dirty laundry about who sold the MH GLs that ended up being slabbed as PLODs.

bold response : in hindsight, dave looks like a genious... he went out on a limb and paid prices that, at the time many felt were insane, but in reality, he made the smartest and best buy in the long run... that helped to further the market, and dave has had a very positive impact in that respect!

italic response : it is a shame, that folks won't "share" in this hobby... to own the Grail of comics, and not let anyone (well, a few have) see and enjoy the book (and there are plenty of ways around security issues, etc), it is a shame... is it selfish? I don't know... what are his reasons for not sharing? I don't know... if I owned them, would I share?...you bet!

powerful folks in the hobby, to a certain extent, "run" the hobby...

:gossip: The Illuminati

I don't think it is the community that feels that way... most folks have this "god like" admiration for dave, but don't know diddly about him (just the nature of being kept at a distance)... but, there are some long time "insiders" that have knowledge (and some has made it way to the surface) of some way less than ethical things that dave has done... that type info, however, is generally not publicly discussed, as it is both a negative to the hobby, and might have certain implications that folks don't wan to be exposed to... powerful folks in the hobby, due, to a certain extent, "run" the hobby...

Eh, I think a surprisingly large number of things have been publicly aired here, although I have no doubt that there is much much more that has not been discussed here. Certainly Steve C didn`t hesitate to do so, to the point that Dave felt compelled to post a response here. And if I recall, the thread about the MH GL #1 contained some more dirty laundry about who sold the MH GLs that ended up being slabbed as PLODs.

I would agree with you... but, some folks like crowzilla etc, only have hinted at other issues, that have been swept under the rug, and have managed, for the most part, to stay swept under (thumbs u

I thought the alleged manufacturing of false Edgar Church books was far more dirty.

I thought the alleged manufacturing of false Edgar Church books was far more dirty.

Well yeah. That too.

I must have missed that thread.

I`m too lazy to do a search, could you point me to it? lol

I would agree with you... but, some folks like crowzilla etc, only have hinted at other issues, that have been swept under the rug, and have managed, for the most part, to stay swept under (thumbs u

For the most part they were always 'his word against another guys word'. And with funny books we know emotions can run high.

You can never hang a guy when you read one persons account against another, it needs corroboration, which was always sorely missing.

Are you serious? Someone was cranking out fake Edgar Chuch books? Not my good friend at MH of course, but still do you mean just misrepresenting the books as being from the EC collection or worse?

When I pay that kind of money, I want good results!

I apply the same philosophy to hookers.

Is it like pulling teeth to get them to accept you offer?

Sometimes, but I find it's cheaper if I pay on the way out instead of on the way in.

But doesn't your change keep dropping all over the bed? (shrug)

bingo!