• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

I would agree with you... but, some folks like crowzilla etc, only have hinted at other issues, that have been swept under the rug, and have managed, for the most part, to stay swept under (thumbs u

For the most part they were always 'his word against another guys word'. And with funny books we know emotions can run high.

You can never hang a guy when you read one persons account against another, it needs corroboration, which was always sorely missing.

exactly...public corroboration has been missing...but privately... oh lala!

So Dave has no commitment to the comic hobby overall to share these amazing examples even in scans within books about such collections?

Now that is a little odd. If I was known to have the best copies of something, and I also of course would have them very securely stored in a safe deposit box, why not share to the wide community for general education?

That seems very selfish.

By the way, I'm going to contact Matt Nelson at Classics Inc. as he was coming out with a book on the most famous pedigree collections, which would have to cover Mile High and others.

I think the announcement said he was going to have pictures of the most famous books, but I could be way off the mark.

So Dave has no commitment to the comic hobby overall to share these amazing examples even in scans within books about such collections?

Now that is a little odd. If I was known to have the best copies of something, and I also of course would have them very securely stored in a safe deposit box, why not share to the wide community for general education?

That seems very selfish.

while his stance has been not to share them, I honestly have never heard the reason why... could it be selfish? I don't know...maybe there is a better explaination... maybe keeping them in "mythical speculation" helps...again, I don't know...

I do know folks that have seen the copy (Steve B, Steve F, etc) all say it is STUNNING... so, that really does get my juices flowing, and I do, personally, have some resentment or jealousy or whatever you want to call it, that I likely won't ever have a chance to see it

kind of like "hiding" the mona lisa (first analogy that came to mind) from Davinci fans

By the way, I'm going to contact Matt Nelson at Classics Inc. as he was coming out with a book on the most famous pedigree collections, which would have to cover Mile High and others.

I think the announcement said he was going to have pictures of the most famous books, but I could be way off the mark.

no need to contact him (unless you just want to)... none of the most famous that dave owns will be pictured (Action 1, etc)...

just issues that are "out there" already, will be in the book

no need to contact him (unless you just want to)... none of the most famous that dave owns will be pictured (Action 1, etc)...

just issues that are "out there" already, will be in the book

What a shame. It would be amazing just to see the cover and the condition the overall book is in.

I love you, man. :luhv:

Now find me the condition of the Church Tec 27. :shy:

the church 27 is reportedly a second hand pick up by Edgar... I don't think it is a double slasher, but I have been told it is in VFish condition...

http://comics.drunkenfist.com/the-most-valuable-comic-books-in-the-world/

The article talks about it being better than the 8.0 it mentions sold. Is that right?

The article talks about it being better than the 8.0 it mentions sold. Is that right?

Slow down with the links. I have too much to read already! :frustrated:

If I wanted links, I would have used the search button! :frustrated:

my guess is , from folks that have seen the book, it would grade at about cgc 8.0 too

Yes, that's the general consensus. Rumor (and some of the big GA guys might know better) is that Dave kept the Allentown over the Church.

More on the Action 1: Guesses at price.

Rumors are the Church Detective 27 has had work done to it.

At the bottom of the article someone responded that owned the next grade up on a DET 27 which I guess is better than the MH copy. In his opinion, the copy he had would grade at an 8.5/9.0, while the MH was an 8.0 copy.

Some of the books pictured or mentioned are just incredible - FF #1 CGC 9.6, AF #15 CGC 9.6, etc. How would someone sleep at night?

Yes, that's the general consensus. Rumor (and some of the big GA guys might know better) is that Dave kept the Allentown over the Church.

More on the Action 1: Guesses at price.

Rumors are the Church Detective 27 has had work done to it.

I believe I have been told that Snyder denies doing any work on the Church 27...and that comes from a very reliable source (thumbs u

it is just a lower grade because it was second hand purchased, and likely had some minor wear

At the bottom of the article someone responded that owned the next grade up on a DET 27 which I guess is better than the MH copy. In his opinion, the copy he had would grade at an 8.5/9.0, while the MH was an 8.0 copy.

Some of the books pictured or mentioned are just incredible - FF #1 CGC 9.6, AF #15 CGC 9.6, etc. How would someone sleep at night?

pretty much what I have been told (thumbs u