• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic?

311 posts in this topic

Avengers #1 at the bus station in Springfield, Illinois. I spent the summer with my grandparents in Springfield, and was traveling to Champaign, IL to be with my parents. My father had returned to college for his Master's degree. Been an Avengers fan ever since! My brother picked up X-Men 1 at the same time. And because we were brothers, neither of us could be fans of other's superhero team.

Avengers #1 at the bus station in Springfield, Illinois. I spent the summer with my grandparents in Springfield, and was traveling to Champaign, IL to be with my parents. My father had returned to college for his Master's degree. Been an Avengers fan ever since! My brother picked up X-Men 1 at the same time. And because we were brothers, neither of us could be fans of other's superhero team.

Do you still have them?

Do you still have them?

Nope :cry: I probably trashed them (or my mom did) although I've picked up #1 more than several times through the years, only to make some lousy trade. :boo: I think I have some of 5 thru 10 or 11 stuck in a long box in "reader shape". I remember when #16 came out, how depressed I was that the old team dis-banded and replaced with mutants (Wanda and Pietro). I quit buying them for several years after that, until Goliath's "return" which to me had some of the best cover and interior art - for the most part - in the series through 39.

So cool. Great story. I always wonder what it would've been like growing up guided by silver age comics. Being raised in the 80's with limited access to comics in my small town most of my memories revolved around animation and video games.

It was an oversized reprint of ASM #100-103 (1st Morbius). Don't have it anymore. It was just... so, kewl :cry:
Would that be Marvel Treasury Edition 14 ? Great reprint book. Still got my copy, well read. (thumbs u

Mine is Detective 446 -- April 1975. I would have been in 1st grade. I was learning to read so my dad brought it home one day (he probably purchased it at a 7-11 or something) because he knew I loved waching Batman re-runs. I threw that comic away because I beat it up pretty good in the few years that followed and deemed it unfit/uncollectable. Damn how I regret throwing it away!

My second book was ASM #149 -- October 1975, six months later. I didn't really grasp what a "clone" was or why 2 Spidermen were fighting each other, but Ross Andru's depiction of The Jackal spooked me. I didn't get hooked into collecting until Amazing #174 -- November 1977. I read the book and was blown away by Spidey and The Punisher. Became a collector from that day forward. My parents couldn't quite understand the fuss with the plastic bags, boards, and long boxes, but they were supportive to the extent money permitted.

Great thread, thank you!

Im sure I had a few archies and harveys buy the fury comics I really recall were brought home by my father who was a school principal. He confiscated them and gave them to me. I still recall and have the Warlock 6 he gave me. I bought a copy of Ghost with a purple cover and skeleton monkeys some time around 1974 and I still remember being so excited to see a Warlock 9 by starlin on the comic rack. I purchased 25 cent jungle action a few weeks earlier. Pretty sure I still have that one too.

My first Marvel Comic(s)

As a kid we used to go on caravan holidays in South Wales and I can remember going to the newsagents on a rainy day and they had #35 and #37 of the Invaders in the spinner rack. I must have read the print of those comics...happy days :cloud9:

The first comic I bought was the Ghost Rider V2 #18 painted cover. Always loved the look of that cover :whee: I bought that book back when Carnage first came into play. My dad was in the military, and I ended up selling the first appearance of Carnage for $0.50 to my buddy. I figured it would get damaged in storage when we were sent over seas :tonofbricks:

My first was Spawn#1, that got me into the comic book world, funny thing was that first comic I ever bought, was the only one that survived a house fire in '99 because it was at my friends house. It really sucked having to go back and buy a 7 year run of comics because you loved them so much

Hello board! :hi:

This thread definitely made me smile. It brought back a happy memory that probably explains my profound adoration for the funny books.

We had just arrived as refugees to the United States in 1980 (literally!) and was flying cross-country to join my uncle's family in Chicago. On the American Airlines flight, they gave me AA wings and a Richie Rich comic book!

Insightful how they would hand a poor, bewildered Asian kid that comic book. I guess it was a hint...

That Richie Rich is in a box with kindergarten drawings somewhere in my parents' house. I'm going rummaging for it the next time I'm there. :)