• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic?

311 posts in this topic

I grew up in the copper age and in the summer of 1985, I was given a copy of each Marvel comic that was on the shelf at the time. Never bothered looking at any of them until I was in highschool around 1989.

First one I read was Secret Wars II #2. Looking back it was not a great series, but I was infatuated with the idea of an all powerful being discovering the ways of human life. That led me to getting Secret Wars 1 and realizing that the most awesome villian of all time was Dr. Doom!

I loved that everyone else was trying to figure out how to win and Doom was trying to figure out how to gain ultimate power!

I remember this very clearly. I was about 7 years old and had the flu and asked my sister to go to our local candy store and buy me a comic book. At that time I was into Barks Disney comics......and she brought back Flash 121. I was so upset. But then I started to look at the luscious Infantino art and it was all over. I traded out Huey, Dewey, and Louie for Barry Allen and never looked back.

I was around 10-years-old and I believe this was the first comic I ever picked up. Definitely the first series I collected.

I never read the actual comic books, just the compact digests.

115938.jpg.8a9ec0ffb9116f92733ac11457e29763.jpg

I remember this very clearly. I was about 7 years old and had the flu and asked my sister to go to our local candy store and buy me a comic book. At that time I was into Barks Disney comics......and she brought back Flash 121. I was so upset. But then I started to look at the luscious Infantino art and it was all over. I traded out Huey, Dewey, and Louie for Barry Allen and never looked back.

:applause:

I read stuff like Rom, BSG and Star Wars when I was about 6 or 7 - but I really got into them (like going to comic shops, etc) when Daredevil 173 came out. Yeah, that's specific - but for some reason I remember that cover as being the month I got into it (thanks to my friend Greg, who introduced me to DD and the comic shop in Cinderella City in Denver, CO)

First comic: Brave and the Bold 115, 100 page goodness :cloud9: I still have the same copy which is now shot to hell and held together by lots of tape, but I would rather sell my entire collection than part with it.

It is very cool to me that I have a tangible artefact from my childhood which I can take out and look at whenever I feel like it, even after all these years.

First completed run: Captain Britain weekly. Distribution of U.S. Comics in England in the 70's was very patchy and it was therefore tough to get 2 consecutive issues, let alone build a whole run. So the answer was to start collecting British Marvels, and when this title began in 1976, my mother would buy me the latest issue every Friday and meet me at the school gates with it. I can still remember the excitement of waiting for my weekly fix! :D

Amazing Spider Man #112. That book started me on my quest to start collecting comics and, along with the original cartoon series that was on TV at the time, made me a life long Spider Man fan. I hope to pass my enthusiasm down to my kids, but who knows? It's cute to hear my 2-year old say "Spider Man" (not so cute to hear him say "dammit", however...)

When I was a kid my mum or uncle or somebody in the family bought me some Australian Newton comics that reprinted classic SA Marvel. Something tells me it was from a deli in Fremantle on a Sunday morning. The art absolutely fascinated me, I found it compelling.

I had a pretty strong idea of precisely which comics I'd been given and a review of a site that documented the Newton releases helped me to narrow it down to three. As it turned out, all three were released in July 1975, so I guess I probably was bought them all.

I was pretty lucky to start with Lee, Ditko and Kirby. I'd have to say it was an event that seared their work into my consciousness at a mere five and a half.

FF2.jpg

AVENGERS2.jpg

ASM4.jpg

I don't actually own those comics anymore, although I've got my hunting goggles on. I pinched the images from the link below. Worth a look if you want to know anymore about the company.

http://www.adelaidecomicsandbooks.com/articles.html

Batman vs Predator (vol. 1) final issue. #4, I think? I still have the issue somewhere, but it's in pretty bad shape. Still love the art of the Kubert Brothers. Recently picked up a Wolverine Weapon X #1 sketch CGC SS 9.6 by Adam and an X-Men #25 (vol. 2 Gold Edition) CGC SS 9.6 by Andy... now I just need a Bagley ASM CGC SS. :cloud9: