• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic?

311 posts in this topic

It has to be a trade paperback of Dark Knight Returns. I was given a GIJoe comic at a really young age, but I can't remember anything about it most likely it was lost when my dad transferred posts in 1st grade. However Dark Knight Returns was the first comic in any form I asked for my mom or dad or purchase for me in 4th grade.

I was about 10, but can't recall where (maybe K-Mart as my Mom and Grandma worked there) or even why I got them, but it was a Marvel 3 pack. FF 276 black and white cover, ASM 262 (TV show photo cover) and Spectacular Spidey 76 with him holding a bloodied Black Cat.

I still have those 3 books, not sure how they survived my hopping around between parents and grandparents as I lost a lot of cool toys to garage sales (Mego Spidey) or destructive younger half-brothers (Remco Spidey), but they did. I never did get into comics until I was in high school when the Bat craze started. I got in right around the star studded Batman #400, 10 Nights of the Beast, Death in the Family and Miller's Dark Knight stories. Sure wish I had dug deeper and started looking at SA books, would have likely had an AF15.

Not my first....but the first I bought when I returned to collecting.

I had collected comics in the 80s. I stopped when I hit my late teens for a few years. I had five long boxes when I stopped. One day in 1990 I returned to a comic book store and bought one comic and a price guide....comic values monthly. Ever since that day...I have been a comic collector again. Here is the comic I bought that day. :cloud9:

fd423354412eef87279f3b0dbabbd39e_zpsa5561712.jpg[/img]

The first comic that I had to my memory was the Star Wars oversized treasury edition. I know I had a few Richie Rich books but I can place when, where as the Star Wars book was purchased for me when I was five. The first book I bought that started me collecting was New Mutants #15 and the first two CGC booked were Secret War #2 and Daredevil #90.

Tnerb

Punisher War Journal #7 Volume 1 was what started it all for me. I saw it at my local newsstand and bought it. My love for comics started that day. I collected consistently until about 1998 and just got back into the hobby.

PunisherWarJournal7.jpg

Note: Not my scan. My copy is currently at my parent's house. It was maybe F-VF condition when I bought it.

I'm fairly certain this wasn't my first comic, but it is the first comic I remember buying, because it has a story that goes with it.

I was 6 years old, it was a Sunday in December, and we were shopping on State Street in Bristol. Bristol is a twin city - right on the Virginia-Tennessee border, and State Street is in the middle of town. In fact, the street IS the border, with one side of the street in Virginia and the other in Tennessee. In those days, Virginia had blue laws which prohibited most stores from being open on Sundays, but Tennessee didn't. So one side of the street was closed, while the other was open.

Anyway, I saw the comic below (the actual one below, I still have it) on the newsstand, and REALLY wanted it. My mother tried to discourage me, reminding me that Christmas was soon, and it wasn't a good idea to buy things for yourself that close to Christmas. But I REALLY wanted it, and was willing to spend my own money, so I bought it.

Christmas morning, guess what I found in my stocking? I learned an important lesson then, you never can tell what Santa might be bringing you.

As I said, this is my actual copy - I don't know what happened to the other copy, as for many years I had both in my collection. Must have given it away sometime. I must have lent this one out sometime, too, since my mother wrote my name on it.

Superman204_001_zps3bc96bbf.jpg

My friend had a small collection he let me read when I would go visit. I got hooked on Marvel super heroes secret wars. I didn't have any books until one day I went to a small video store in the town I lived in and they had some comics on the counter. I knew about Fantastic Four and they were cool. I bought 16,19,20 but passed on the #8 as I thought it was to expensive at 80 dollars. I couldn't fathom paying that much for a comic at the time. I also passed on some early ( single digit) JLA books because I just didn't know any better :( I am really glad I got what I did because I absolutely fell in love with comics and it has been awesome ever since. I must have read this book 30 times before I got Stan to sign it last year :) I wonder if it would have been a 7.5 had I never touched it and just let it sit. I don't have any before pics but this is how it came back after 16 year of owning and reading :) Oh, and the price I paid since he let me make payments was 20 bucks for all 3.. I wasn't even driving yet so that was pretty big money

7mnq.jpg

My family started on the camping trip to Mountain/Great Plains States back in late 60's and early 70's. My mother always bought the comic packs that contained Iron-man 1st series and Daredevil 1st series that were between #20 to #50. Sometimes, the packs had Detective Comics or Batman that Neal Adams did the artworks but I really don't remember which ones. However, I do remember reading Weird War Tales #1 to 16, early House of Secrets just before #92 and Green Lantern and Green Arrow #85 & #86. Unfortunately, they were trashed but I still do remember them. Now, I collected them in years later.

I was on tour with Childrens' Theatre for two weeks. My mom bought me more DD and Iron Man (I don't know why my mom always bought them -- maybe the comic packs again). I was about 13 years old and read DD #131 and #132 but those kids made fun of me and grabbed my beloved books. The books were shredded into pieces. Can you believe that??

Now, I have them in my collection as my childhood memory.

Can't remember which first comic I had... but knew it was either a Chartlon or Gold Key. I remembered it was in mystery theme. That was in 1974 what I knew. Grandma gave me a batch of used comics ( think they were my uncle's) to read.