• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New here. 30 years collecting DC silver.

111 posts in this topic

As requested by Hobo here's a laugh for you all. I picked up this Tomahawk several years back. This blew me away. Some 1950's kid really loved his comics. This is not photoshop or anything. it's actual cut and paste marriage of Dell and DC.

Tomahawk enlists the aid of "Pluto" to take back the fort that the indians stole!!

in: "PLUTO FIGHTS BACK!!"

lol ok...that's the best I could come up with..

Enjoy

tomahawkpluto.jpg

Okay,

Here's some more of those $1 a book collection I found in 1982. Again most all of these books were in the vf to nm range some 200 of them. All from early 60's to about 1968 or '69. Earlier I said they went to 1966 but I was mistaken. Haven't looked these books over in years.

The first issue of the Adventure Supergirl seiries. There were 2 copies that looked like this. Still have them both.

adventure381.jpg

The first silver-age Cat Woman app. in Lois Lane 70. This would probably be vf+ at best. cgc may only say 7.5 or 8.0

loislane70.jpg

Here's a sweet black cover from Plastic Man #8. Several of the 10 issue run are about as nice. Almost flawless

plasticman8.jpg

The first issue of The Unexpected! #105! This one is so sweet. And most every one of them up to about 111 or so are about as nice from this one owner collection. And my collection of them through the Bronze issues are mostly high grade. Love this series. I think I have them all but about 2 or 3 issues.

unexpected105.jpg

Teen Titans #1. Get this. There were 3 of these all in the VF+ or better range. Unfortunately I sold the nicer ones some 10 years back. Was offered a large sum for them. I still have the high grade Brave & Bold and SHowcase earlier app. The Showcase issue I posted yesterday on this thread.

teentitans1.jpg

Lastly for today is the HAwk & the Dove #1 from this same collection of $1 a piece books. Awesome copy! I hope you enjoy my covers. I know that none of these are all that rare or scarce. But they are very nice examples. ANd I only paid a $1 each! THis was just my one big lucky score in over 30 years of collecting and am happy to share them with you all.

hawkdove1.jpg

I'll try and post more by next weekend. Got to take a break and go outside and enjoy the sunshine. It's a beautiful day here in Arkansas.

Seadevils

Seadevils.....let me know if you have any duplicates of Lois Lane 1,2,3,4,5,7,8 or 9. You might talk me into buying one someday. :)

Mike

Uh oh...didn't realize had competition for early Lois's :devil:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and the welcome to the boards. I've posted some other pics in the Silver section War thread and this eveining I posted some HG GL's in the General Green Lantern thread.

More to come.

Seadevils

Are there threads for Aquaman or Atom? Hawkman? I have some beautiful HG's of the original series. I believe I saw a thread for JLA.

Out of some nearly 5000 different unique Silver-age DC's from 1956 to December 1969 I have some HG examples from most every title. The collection is a mixture of VG to NM. Occasionally on an extremely rare issue I may only have a G example.

My calculations based on my own collection is that there are just over 6000 different Silver-age DC's that were published. Some 114 different titles. I have over 1000 to go. I also collect the Bronze issues. But I pretty well have those except for some Romance and War.

Like most here I'm continually upgrading all across the board. But mainly focus on the Superheroes & horror for HG copies. And I need a lot uf upgrades.

Batman & Detective are where I actually still need several issues. Other than that the heroes are 99.9% complete.

My week area is the DC Romance. I have maybe a couple 100 issues of all the titles combined. And I still need quite a bit of the War comics and some Funny Animal/humor stuff. Oh..and I need some more All-Star Western, All-American Western, Hopalong Cassidy and Western Comics from the 50's. Those are tough.

Vg's would be perfectly acceptable.

My wantlist is still handwritten. I need to get together an online wantlist. I have about 2000 dupes of silver DC's. Also some early 15, 20 and 25 cent Bronze mixed in. There are some HG material in my undergrades but most will be in the G/VG F range.

Perhaps some of you would be up for some swapping Say Super heroes for Westerns or some Fox & Crow? Sugar & Spike? Secret Hearts? lol

Well..I've rambled enough this morning. Gotta get to work.

I'll be posting more scans as I get time. Anything in particular ya'll like to see let me know. I may have it.

Seadevils

Seadevils:

Wow! Another Sea Devils, Aquaman, Fox & the Crow, Cave Carson and Challengers of the Unknown fan! But how about Rex the Wonder Dog, Johnny Thunder and Space Ranger?

I'm a big time DC and other Silver Age collector myself and I really will have to trade want and doubles lists with you.

A very sincere welcome!

:acclaim:

Hi Hepcat,

LOve them all. I only need 2 Challengers to complete my set. #'s 2 & 8. Have all the Cave Carson's. Fox & Crow rules!! Have you ever seen the cartoons?

Need some more Johnny Thunder and Space Ranger issues. Those are tough.

Hope we can help each other out.

Monstro,

I just thought it would be more fun and interesting to participate in already going threads. Some folks just seem to be into the war books and such. Just check my posts under my user name I guess. How does everyone else feel? Shouldn't I spread it around the Boards?

I can at least let you all know here where they are as I post them.