• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTA Toronto Collectors

113 posts in this topic

So my friend came back from a Blythe Doll swap group the other day. They get together once a month or so and talk Blythe, trade clothing, etc. I didn't think too much of it until yesterday.

Yesterday I was finishing up work in my new comic room. And I have a couple of boxes of books I don't want. Alot of duplicates, readers copies of series that I'm not attached to. Stuff that wouldn't be worth shipping cost but is good enough to read and others would probably enjoy. Alot I'm donating to the library.

Then it dawned on me-- as a kid when this happened with my baseball card and comic collection... we traded. "I'll give you 5 Chris Codirolis for one of your duplicate Sandbergs." (I seemed to get a Codiroli card in every pack of 87 Topps cards I ever opened. Then I got a few O-Pee-Chees just because fate loves me. But I digress.)

Anyway, are there enough collectors in Toronto (or indeed on these boards in the area) that it would be worth having a monthly get together? Do other people want to swap books and talk comics and show off stuff once a month? It might be cool and make collecting a bit more personable again. And maybe someone will like having a quadrillion copies of Avengers 254 (my new Codiroli) more than me...

Anyway, if people around here think this is a good idea, post up. Maybe we can get something rolling. And if it sucks, that's okay too. I thought it would be worth discussion if nothing more (or maybe give people in other cities a good idea.)

-Rob-

It could be anywhere. I could host it, someone else could host it, or we could agree to meet at a restraunt. It could be over time we decide to do all of those things. I think the key is just wherever we have it, would need to be a place where everyone feels comfortable busting out comics. So if a public place, then obviously like a pub or something as opposed to somewhere overly nice. Could even be at a Starbucks or something, really.

Seems like there's some interest at least. I sometimes can't tell the difference between a good idea and a bad one. lol

What do people think about location?

Wow, without checking the boards I just now posted trying to find out how to get in touch with folks in the GTA for exactly what you're proposing. I've been thinking about doing it for weeks. Synchronicity!!! Scaaaaarrrry.

Anyway I'm absolutely in, I think it's a terrific idea and would be happy to host or participate. Looking forward to it.

Great idea, unfortunately Toronto's a little too far for me as well. Wanna move it to London? lol

If this starts to work well for you, you may want to organize a club or association. A monthly meeting of discussion, trading, donating and perhaps an auction. I've thought of doing this in London, but it's a bit of work and may or may not work well. Actually, I think it'd work just fine, you just need someone with the cajones to set it all up.

Ideas for locations? The best possibilities all cost money to rent a place. If a restaurant owner doesn't mind, then that's not bad. Perhaps a rest area off the 401? Library? Coffee shop? You may eventually have the problem of having too many people show up.

Good luck, Rob, and again, great idea!

Andy

Great idea, unfortunately Toronto's a little too far for me as well. Wanna move it to London? lol

If this starts to work well for you, you may want to organize a club or association. A monthly meeting of discussion, trading, donating and perhaps an auction. I've thought of doing this in London, but it's a bit of work and may or may not work well. Actually, I think it'd work just fine, you just need someone with the cajones to set it all up.

Ideas for locations? The best possibilities all cost money to rent a place. If a restaurant owner doesn't mind, then that's not bad. Perhaps a rest area off the 401? Library? Coffee shop? You may eventually have the problem of having too many people show up.

Good luck, Rob, and again, great idea!

Andy

I didn't realize you were in London! Explains why I only bump into you at conventions. (You'd think Toronto is so big you wouldn't bump into anyone, but I do bump into the ocassional face at either a comic store or a popular locale like St Lawrence Market.)

At any rate, this could certainly involve into a club type thing. That said, I think it would be a great start if a handful of us just showed up somewhere to give it a try.

Now the thing is to come up with a good location. Again, if anyone has a suggestion of a good spot I'd love to hear it. I know of some possible places here in the West End but I'm not sure that would ultimately be convenient for the majority.

Rob there are a lot of TO forumites. Maybe a get together during the next Con might be an idea. I went to a forum dinner a couple of years ago and there was a pretty good turn out.

R.

I've been thinking about the same sort of thing lately myself, I'm so engrossed with the hobby right now that I'd love to do something like this. Have been to a comic collecting meeting since I was in Grade 8. Honestly someones house I think is a better setting than a public place. A:) I'd be more willing to bring items from the collection to show than if it was held in a restaurant. B) People would be more willing to open up without the prying eyes of the public who don't understand us C) I'd even suggest my house, if someone wants to case out my collection and come back someday to steal it, go ahead I get the insurance money and get to start building a collection all over again...it sounds fun. I've never really understood peoples concerns, I'd invite any forum member over to my house and share in my collection as other than me that could appreciate it and thats half the fun. We all know when our friends come over they think were losers for collecting in the first place :)

Jim

This is a great idea, and I can tell that for the past 5 years a group of ~20 Toronto OA collectors get together every 6 to 9 months and show off our collections. My instinct, base on my experience in coordinating the events, is that a monthly event is too often. But that might be the wrong reaction; while the OA collectors can never make every event, with a larger pool of comic collectors, you needn't have everyone show up all the time. Timing wise, since there is a comic convention nearly every weekend, cons act as a black hole to pull in collectors for your type of event.

1. is it mainly for people from Toronto and surrounding and or do you want to do something for people when there is a show here in toronto.

2. if in toronto in a public place you should can reach it with car and subway and streetcar.

because some people dont have a car.maybe something like midtown, i think.

sorry about my english.not my first language.;)