• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key
2 2

501 posts in this topic

Fully understandable! That's a great title.

Here are scans of five more of my Man from U.N.C.L.E. photo covers:

6 Northland copy

24-06-2012112042PM.jpg

7 File copy

24-06-2012112045PM.jpg

8 File copy

24-06-2012112048PM.jpg

9 File copy

24-06-2012112051PM.jpg

10 File copy

24-06-2012112054PM.jpg

:cool:

I dusted off the scanner, after locating a couple of GK's.

TARZ_147.jpg

Do you think the artist on that cover was Russ Manning?

???

An early issue in the Gold Key run of 28.

LRGK_2.jpg

I didn't like the Clayton Moore photo covers in the last part of the Dell run. I was therefore glad to see Western Publishing return to doing painted covers for their Gold Key imprint.

Edited by Hepcat

Were those later Donald Ducks the work of Carl Barks as well?

These early Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea books you have are brilliant. :cloud9:

Here then are scans of five more of my Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea comics:

6 Northland copy

02-07-201260838PM.jpg

02-07-201260844PM.jpg

8 Northland copy

02-07-201260847PM.jpg

02-07-201260850PM.jpg

02-07-201260854PM.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

Were those later Donald Ducks the work of Carl Barks as well?

These early Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea books you have are brilliant. :cloud9:

Here then are scans of five more of my Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea comics:

6 Northland copy

02-07-201260838PM.jpg

8 Northland copy

02-07-201260847PM.jpg

The later DonaldDucks were done by Tony Strobl. Barks continued to do Uncle Scrooge until 1966, with cover dates into 1967.

Beautiful copies of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. :headbang:

Oh, absolutely raw! My entire collection is raw.

Here's a scan of another one of my photo covers:

10-06-201245157PM.jpg

Just like to congratulate you on your collection. It has undoubtedly taken a lot of time, effort, money and dedication towards your collecting goals to assemble such a collection at this level of preservation.

If a Silver Age book isn't DC or Marvel, it has effectively disappeared from the collective sight of the hobby.

Many of the books you picture are books that would have been on the newsstand shelf when I was a kid. After 1970, I tended only to see Marvels but, when very young, Dell, Gold Key and Classics Illustrated very much caught my eye. Especially TV tie-ins -- once a show was broadcast, it was effectively gone unless syndication resurrected it --- the comic book gave the show a concrete existence and permanence beyond just memory. (Viewmaster Slides and collector cards had the same appeal.)

In particular, it's great that you are so willing to post your books. So a general thanks is very much in order. (thumbs u

Keep them coming.

Oh, absolutely raw! My entire collection is raw.

Here's a scan of another one of my photo covers:

10-06-201245157PM.jpg

Just like to congratulate you on your collection. It has undoubtedly taken a lot of time, effort, money and dedication towards your collecting goals to assemble such a collection at this level of preservation.

If a Silver Age book isn't DC or Marvel, it has effectively disappeared from the collective sight of the hobby.

Many of the books you picture are books that would have been on the newsstand shelf when I was a kid. After 1970, I tended only to see Marvels but, when very young, Dell, Gold Key and Classics Illustrated very much caught my eye. Especially TV tie-ins -- once a show was broadcast, it was effectively gone unless syndication resurrected it --- the comic book gave the show a concrete existence and permanence beyond just memory. (Viewmaster Slides and collector cards had the same appeal.)

In particular, it's great that you are so willing to post your books. So a general thanks is very much in order. (thumbs u

Keep them coming.

+1 :headbang:

Thank you! I've been pecking away at it for 33 years now. I've slowed right down in the last two years or so due to hopefully temporary financial pressures.

Sad but true. It's a situation though I continue to rail against.

Many of the books you picture are books that would have been on the newsstand shelf when I was a kid.

Nostalgia is the primary reason I got into collecting, and the memory of seeing a comic on the newstand usually leads to my adding that comic to my collection.

Keep them coming.

I will!

Here then are a few more of my Doctor Solar comics:

17-07-2012113923PM.jpg

18-07-2012115939PM.jpg

15 Northland copy

17-07-2012113930PM.jpg

18-07-2012115943PM.jpg

19-07-2012120038AM.jpg

Thank you! I've been pecking away at it for 33 years now. I've slowed right down in the last two years or so due to hopefully temporary financial pressures.

Sad but true. It's a situation though I continue to rail against.

Many of the books you picture are books that would have been on the newsstand shelf when I was a kid.

Nostalgia is the primary reason I got into collecting, and the memory of seeing a comic on the newstand usually leads to my adding that comic to my collection.

Keep them coming.

I will!

Here then are a few more of my Doctor Solar comics:

17-07-2012113923PM.jpg

18-07-2012115939PM.jpg

15 Northland copy

17-07-2012113930PM.jpg

18-07-2012115943PM.jpg

19-07-2012120038AM.jpg

Love the Solar covers. The stories, not so much. He seemed to veer from being essentially all powerful to having trouble dealing with a single robot.

I agree. Despite the spectacular covers, both the storylines and the interior artwork on Doctor Solar and a lot of the other adventure Gold Key titles were disappointing, particularly in comparison with DC and Marvel titles.

Here's a scan of a comic from another once popular Gold Key title:

12-07-2012104900PM.jpg