• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best idea ever ??? Clear backing boards !!!
1 1

172 posts in this topic

For how long and what are they made out of?

Pyrex, lidocaine, polyurethane... what do I know. :shrug:

What I know is the guy who was supplying him with the uncut sheets was raising his prices so he stopped.

I talked to him at NYCC '11

Here is the book I bought at the time, with the clear backing board.

They are no CLEARS℗™®©℗©™™ however I am sure...

Looking back over this thread, I see someone else mentioned this guy back in 2008.

Can you entrepreneurs also please make a hard case for a raw that is the dimensions of a CGC case? So I can store my nicer raw books with the CGC books.

photo1_zps9b737677.jpg

photo2_zps9b1f2912.jpg

CLEARS are made out of pure virgin/untreated LEXAN. Basically, the same stuff they use for bullet proof glass in banks and the same as on an F14 fighter jet. CLEARS are not bullet proof but it's the same stuff. The LEXAN you buy in stores is UV treated, some are scratch resistant meaning they are treated. CLEARS are not treated in any way. They are basically INERT, a sheet of air. CLEARS will not crack. (don't try this at home but I would take a nice comic in a clear with mylar, throw it up in the air and the corners would not blunt when they hit the floor.)

This went over well when I did it with a high grade comic like the JUDY OF THE JUNGLE you see in the ads. Again, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Looking back over this thread, I see someone else mentioned this guy back in 2008.

Can you entrepreneurs also please make a hard case for a raw that is the dimensions of a CGC case? So I can store my nicer raw books with the CGC books.

photo1_zps9b737677.jpg

photo2_zps9b1f2912.jpg

Damn that looks good. I'll be buying these if they ever go mainstream.

photo1_zps9b737677.jpg

photo2_zps9b1f2912.jpg

Damn that looks good. I'll be buying these if they ever go mainstream.

Agreed, I'd love to use these on my better books. Looks great.

CLEARS are made out of pure virgin/untreated LEXAN. Basically, the same stuff they use for bullet proof glass in banks and the same as on an F14 fighter jet. CLEARS are not bullet proof but it's the same stuff. The LEXAN you buy in stores is UV treated, some are scratch resistant meaning they are treated. CLEARS are not treated in any way. They are basically INERT, a sheet of air. CLEARS will not crack. (don't try this at home but I would take a nice comic in a clear with mylar, throw it up in the air and the corners would not blunt when they hit the floor.)

This went over well when I did it with a high grade comic like the JUDY OF THE JUNGLE you see in the ads. Again, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

So how do I order some?

Hi. First, to check them out, let me send you a sample. If you guys want some at that point, I'll see what I have left in stock and will let you have them at 1998 prices. If I don't have the ones you want in stock, (there are over 40 sizes) then I will look into a re-release. PM me your address. Thanks

I don't see Lexan at any banks I visit. They all use an Acrylic barrier. Lexan scratches more easily and yellows over time. Lexan (chemically the same as Makrolon) is not inert. It is a polycorbonate. Using a backing board of Lexan defeats all archival reasons for using Mylar. Mylar still makes a book look nicer, but that's not the main reason people use it.

DG

I don't see Lexan at any banks I visit. They all use an Acrylic barrier. Lexan scratches more easily and yellows over time. Lexan (chemically the same as Makrolon) is not inert. It is a polycorbonate. Using a backing board of Lexan defeats all archival reasons for using Mylar. Mylar still makes a book look nicer, but that's not the main reason people use it.

DG

It's been 15 years since LEXAN CLEARS came out. One thing I am certain is they are INERT. I have yet to come across the Makrolon that you are talking about but will look into it.

I don't use CLEARS because they look good, though they do look great. I use them because they keep the books in perfect condition. Mine have been stored in CLEARS for 15 years and there is no yellowing and no scratching on them. Lexan by GE is bulletproof I believe in 1/4 inch thickness.