• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best idea ever ??? Clear backing boards !!!
1 1

172 posts in this topic

Actually , owning an estate sale bus. we run across things all the time. We had done an estate sale for an owner of a plastic/printing manufacturing co. last year. I remember my wife put a couple of crates of a few thousand of these "Mylar" looking things into one of our warehouses. My wife brought one home and one of my comics fit perfectly in it. I would describe it as in between a Mylar and a CGC case . It's by far my favorite storage bag.

Anyway , I'll look into it , b/c even though they would prob. be over 2.00 a piece retail , I'm sure I would be able to sell to all my fellow chumps at .25 - 50 a piece. .........BH... :) :)

I hope that no one is offended by a little advert, but I think I have the perfect product, already in hand.

It's the Ultra Pro Comic Stor Rigid Sleeves

They stopped making them, but I was able to get the remaining stock.

They have been selling like crazy for me.

It's clear on both sides, and is much thicker than a mylar.

It keeps a comic in nice shape, and does not need a backing board.

It has a flap, that seals the comic without tape by tongue-in-groove.

I only have them in Current size.

ee_1.jpg

Here's a link if you want ordering information.

Link

My opinion: I have had books damaged by these holders and will not use them. The flap and the piece that tucks have left impressions on the books behind them when they are tightly packed. I had a number of books that were not CGC worthy only because they were stored in this manner.

So, if you are going to use these, put a board between each book in the box, or make sure they are not tightly packed.

Again, my opinion.

I hope that no one is offended by a little advert, but I think I have the perfect product, already in hand.

ee_1.jpg

Link

My opinion: I have had books damaged by these holders and will not use them. The flap and the piece that tucks have left impressions on the books behind them when they are tightly packed. I had a number of books that were not CGC worthy only because they were stored in this manner.

So, if you are going to use these, put a board between each book in the box, or make sure they are not tightly packed.

Again, my opinion.

Thanks for sharing that. I haven't heard about that problem before, but it does seem possible for that to happen if you stack the books or put them in too tightly in a box. The material is thick, and it would be thicker on the tops with all the flaps down creating uneven pressure on the books if things were tight.

I used to hate the flip top mylars. It's really hard to get books in and out, and you also have all that extra thickness on top which can lead to the book bending in the middle. Are those called shurlocks? Do they still make those? Ugh!

It just goes to show that care must always be taken to correctly preserve comics.

It a real bummer when your archival method actually hurts your comics instead of preserving them.

Regards,

- Lee

ee_1.jpg

Link

Again, my opinion.

I agree with you, these are .

I have bought collections and I see the books that are in them and they never look good. They always have some sort of creasing on the spine or depressions on the back.

It is no wonder they stopped making them.

hygroscopic

Made me take out my dictionary. Who says this board isn't educational?

hy·gro·scop·ic /ha*grə*sk*p*k/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-gruh-skop-ik]

–adjective absorbing or attracting moisture from the air.

Hey guys/gals, sorry for the late post, someone just brought this thread to my attention after a search on the net.

I Invented CLEARS (TRANSPARENT BACKING BOARDS FOR COMIC BOOKS) back in 1998, check your overstreet that year, as well as COMIC BOOK MARKET PLACE around the same time, I think starting in issue 54.

overstreetclearsad1998jpg.jpg

CBM (This Ad was created by the CBM editors)

clears3.jpg

One of the CGC charter members told me at San Diego that year, "We didn't know how to slab a book until we saw your quite simple and quite genius idea" CLEARS.

I sold a ton, was bought out, then the company who bought me out buried it. Luckily, my lawyer put a clause in the contract for failure to promote/sell, and the rights were reverted back to me 5 years later.

They are the best! TOTALLY INERT, no acid, & no plastisizers, "(like mylar has). Yes, it's true, those who claimed they could literally smell the plastisizers in clears were full of it! lol because plastisizers are introduced when two plastics areheated (like mylar) to form a bag. CLEARS are like a sheet of air. At the time I had 48 sizes. 30/40 and 60 Mil. I went to BOSTON COMIC Con this year and the dealers were asking to me to come back out with them. My books were kept perfect after the past 15 years in storage using Clears. The extended versions were 11 inches, which the half inch at the top kept roaming fingers from touching the tops of the books.

PLACE YOUR COMIC ON A PEDESTAL

CLEARS

I sold them via CBM, OVERSTREET, and the CBG. Won numerous awards.

Anyone interested? I have them. A top dealer from NY said "Now's the time!"

??????

They are expensive but not really at $1.25 for 30 mil and $2.50 for 60, 60 mil is rigid, 30 mil is like cardboard which give a little. The downside was the extra weight. The good thing was, they did the job and they looked great. Definitely enhance your comics and keep them safe.

I put them on ebay last year, but no takers, weird. I was way ahead of the game on these. THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED was the slogan back in 1997/8.

To the OP, thanks, it was the best idea eva! :takeit:

Edited by casarachi

One of the CGC charter members told me at San Diego that year, "We didn't know how to slab a book until we saw your quite simple and quite genius idea" CLEARS.

So the SGC card slabs didn't foster any insight for them...? :screwy:

The clear backers are a great idea, though.

ee_1.jpg

Link

I think I have one of those from 20 years ago

Realy cool product and the little catch at back holds top really well !

:)

Edited by gyro-1

ee_1.jpg

Link

These nasty little bsatards have been responsible for more destroyed comics than flood, fire and exacto knives. :facepalm:

Possibly the worst achival product ever invented...bar none.

Even better idea...transparent aluminum ;)

I tried to make the Star Trek reference back on page 2, but either no one got it, or it wasn't funny. I'm guessing the latter. :(

I got it, and thought it was funny. But there were forty more posts by the time I saw it. You were just before your time.

Please don't confuse the "CLEARS" with whatever those other things are that destroyed your books. CLEARS are simply a backing board that you insert into a mylar. After a time, they form a seal, via friction, "Plastic on Plastic" after the air surrounding the book escapes. If you ever have a hard time removing a CLEAR from the mylar, you simply insert the traditional cardboard backing board in between the CLEAR and the mylar. This breaks the bond, releasing the book. The acrylic, imo is a bad idea because acrylic is a totally different animal/plastic, LEXAN is what they use in F14 Fighter jets, (the cockpit glass), windows in 747's and also used in BANKS as bullet proof "glass" (in 1/4-1/2 inch thickness). VERY HIGH QUALITY, in fact, superior to Mylar.

If you drop your SLABBED book, you can easily crack the holder because it's only acrylic. Acrylic is CHEAP plastic. They put the book in a mylar type sleeve holder, then use the acrylic for the outer shell. You don't want your book sitting on acrylic. CLEARS DO NOT CRACK, in fact, you can't crack them with a hammer. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people drop their slabbed books, just 3 feet and the holder cracks.

At first, when I came up with the idea, I thought THICK MYLAR, but you can have a slab of mylar a foot thick and it still flops. No rigidness in ANY thickness, which defeats the reason of using a backing board. I personally prefer the 60 mil CLEARS because the spine won't bend, it's completely rigid. The 30 mil bends like your regular cardboard backing. The downside of 60 mil is they take getting used to. So you need to be careful inserting and taking out your book, but once you do it a few times, you know how to do it care-free.

If anyone here on this forum wants a free sample, just send me your address. COMICLINK and other top dealers were my best customers. The only negative was the 60 mil are heavy, especially when you're a comic dealer lugging around thousands of comics to shows.

Edited by casarachi

Interesting that this thread gets bumped - I bought an old EC book off a boardie, and it showed up yesterday inside a Mylar with a thin Lucite "board" in it. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen since I laid eyes on my first CGC slab. He had gotten them made, and I think I'm going to go price it out and have a few cut.

Great idea for books that I'd like to handle frequently - but don't want to bother with getting them graded.

ee_1.jpg

Link

These nasty little bsatards have been responsible for more destroyed comics than flood, fire and exacto knives. :facepalm:

Possibly the worst achival product ever invented...bar none.

+1

I actual bought these back in the day :P