• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best idea ever ??? Clear backing boards !!!
1 1

172 posts in this topic

Would be interesting if they made bags with a thick backs (as suggested) to act as a backing board, then use the archival paper inserts between the front cove and 1st page, one in the centerfold and one between the last page and the back cover. No more backing boards needed to cover the back cover and all the board manufacturers would switch to the preservation paper inserts.

Remember that the resealable stick part goes on the back and not on the flap.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

I've seen them before. The guy at North Coast had some of his nicer books with them at the last Chicago show I went to. They were VERY thick and he said they were pretty pricey, but it was nice because you could get a good look at the book without have to pull them out of the mylar.

Dave Kapelka (sp?) had them when he brought his OO Amazing Spider-man collection to market in Chicago. I bought a couple of his books and MK, Nik and a few other boardies saw the books in them last summer. They truly are a fantastic idea as far as visual appeal goes.

I wonder if de-acidifying a book would prevent the need for a buffer in the bag....ie, how come there is no buffer in a CGC slab? I know they have the interleaving paper between the cover and the book but that is mainly there to prevent ink migration to the cover.

R.

I've seen them before. The guy at North Coast had some of his nicer books with them at the last Chicago show I went to. They were VERY thick and he said they were pretty pricey, but it was nice because you could get a good look at the book without have to pull them out of the mylar.

Dave, the guy from North Coast, had them manufactured himself. I think he was trying to sell them to dealers and collectors and create a market for them but I'm not to sure how well he did on them. I don't recall him selling them at any recent shows but like you said, he uses them on his own books.

You know, this idea really boils down to having a clear mylar bag that is stiff enough that it does not require a board. "Build it into the bag" idea.

The closest thing I've seen to this is a thing called a "toploader", which has hard sides, but it does not hold the book snugly enough.

Oops, forgot about the CGC case. It fits the bill.... :)

You know, this idea really boils down to having a clear mylar bag that is stiff enough that it does not require a board. "Build it into the bag" idea.

The closest thing I've seen to this is a thing called a "toploader", which has hard sides, but it does not hold the book snugly enough.

Talk about cost prohibitive, and you can't take it out to read! doh!

Dave, the guy from North Coast, had them manufactured himself. I think he was trying to sell them to dealers and collectors and create a market for them but I'm not to sure how well he did on them. I don't recall him selling them at any recent shows but like you said, he uses them on his own books.

I didn't realize he man'd them himself.

For what it's worth, the books look absolutely spectacular in a mylar with a clear backer. It's truly something to behold.

It would be nice if Trace or Matt (or FFB for that matter) chimed in and gave some input as to acidity, buffer etc. on this topic as if it were up to me, this (the clear backer) is the way I would store my books.

R.

The problem with the toploader is that they are made from PVC, so no matter how much China says that they are archival, they are not. They are good for short term. We cant hold on to them long enough here. A lot of people buy them with the sole purpose of using them for shipping. They are not meant for long-term storage.

But they do look great in them!!

The problem with the toploader is that they are made from PVC, so no matter how much China says that they are archival, they are not. They are good for short term. We cant hold on to them long enough here. A lot of people buy them with the sole purpose of using them for shipping. They are not meant for long-term storage.

But they do look great in them!!

But as long as you have them in mylar first, then in a toploader, I imagine that would be fine, right?

Well to be honest, i was never good in chemistry lol but i dont know how they would react to one another. Once thing is acid-free and the other has to contain some form one way or another. I think a mylar with a full-back is still the best and safest route.

As usual a bunch of irrelevant posts, a few relatively stale quips and one ignored Alpha male. Oh well, another day on the boards.

:cloud9:

Mill cases are the other alternative. Also pricey, though, but they present very nicely. I've used them to take books to shows for signing so it's easier to open and keep the book crisp. But I wouldn't go out and buy 100 of them...I wouldn't have money to buy the comics I wanted to put in them!

I hope that no one is offended by a little advert, but I think I have the perfect product, already in hand.

It's the Ultra Pro Comic Stor Rigid Sleeves

They stopped making them, but I was able to get the remaining stock.

They have been selling like crazy for me.

It's clear on both sides, and is much thicker than a mylar.

It keeps a comic in nice shape, and does not need a backing board.

It has a flap, that seals the comic without tape by tongue-in-groove.

I only have them in Current size.

ee_1.jpg

Here's a link if you want ordering information.

Link

Yeah. the lazy collectors can avoid tape pulls that way.