• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,525 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2024 at 11:02 PM, jpepx78 said:

Dell comics racks in drugstores

Drugstores in the 20th century were the place to hang out since they offered many amenities aside from pharmacy items such as magazines, snacks and fountain drinks. The wood Dell comics rack were found in these drugstores on the east and west coasts.

Davidson Drugs opened in 1958 was located in Siesta Key a barrier island located next to Sarasota Florida. John Davidson was a working pharmacist educated at Duke and University of Colorado at Boulder. After a vacation in Florida he decided to move to Florida and got a job as a pharmacy rep for Wyeth while looking for a location to open his own drugstore. He selected Siesta Key as the location having the most potential. His first small pharmacy sold the usual pharmacy items, magazines, sundries and had a soda fountain. After a few years, Davidson moved to a bigger location and in 1965 a second drugstore was opened. Ultimately Davidson opened seven drugstores in Sarasota but by 2018 only three remained open. He continued to buy real estate and he became one of the largest landowners on Siesta Key. Davidson and his wife also founded a weekly community paper, The Pelican Press, from 1971 to 1998. Davidson was an active member of the community who served many leadership positions for multiple organizations. His sons Richard and Bob took over the Davidson Drugs businesses in 2000. John passed away at 93 in January 2024.

https://siestasand.us/john-davidson-60th-anniversary-in-business/

pics
The first Davidson Drugs on Ocean Blvd
The soda fountain at Davidson Drugs. Check out the DC books (Action 250, Batman 122, Mystery in Space, World’s Finest) on the Dell comics rack in 1959

John Davidson in 1950
John Davidson in 2015

The Dell comics rack can be seen behind the glass door of this Oregon drugstore in 1956.

Davidson-Drugstore-1950.jpg

Davidson-Drug-interior-1959.jpg

John-Davidson-1950.jpg

J_Davidson_2015.jpg

oregon ds 1956.JPG

Another nicely done report, Jeff. Thanks for sharing 😀

On 6/21/2024 at 11:38 AM, Darwination said:

...Bill Greason, looking spry at 99, threw out the first pitch last night in Birmingham for the Cards (Go Birds) versus Giants game in Birmingham honoring the Negro League and Willie Mays. 

The Cardinals should have signed Bill Greason to a contract and had him dress for the game. Who knows, if it turned into a blowout they might have even been able to get him into the game! 

2c

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/27/2024 at 2:02 AM, jpepx78 said:

Dell comics racks in drugstores

Drugstores in the 20th century were the place to hang out since they offered many amenities aside from pharmacy items such as magazines, snacks and fountain drinks.

Great write-up and I love the pictures!

Sadly drug store soda fountains had almost completely disappeared from my neck of the woods (London, Ontario) during my formative comic buying years in the early 1960's and they were certainly gone by 1980. These days I know of none whatsoever in the Toronto to Hamilton to London area. 

Since I never took up drinking alcohol, I'm still all about ice cream sodas, sundaes and milkshakes like any proper comic reading kid. Therefore I'd be glad to learn about any drug store soda fountains that still exist anywhere in North America. Are any still around in your neck of the woods? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who misses old-fashioned soda fountains so let the rest of us know!

???

Edited by Hepcat

Another spot in Milwaukee OR. I stopped by here while looking for a gift for my wife and was surprised to see the soda fountain inside. Apparently John F. Kennedy stopped by there while campaigning for President in 1960.

348s.jpg

348s-1.jpg

348s-2.jpg

The collectors mall opened up in 1997 in an old drugstore-

History

Established in 1997.

Main Street Collectors Mall and Soda Fountain is a small family run store located in the historic Perry's Pharmacy in downtown Milwaukie Or. We run one of the few remaining soda fountains &lunch counters left in Portland Or. There was a time when almost every drug store had one. It still has all the original equipment from the Early 1900"s. We used the old recipes for our sodas and shakes. Fresh sandwiches, no fast food here!

Edited by CitrusZ28

On 6/27/2024 at 12:11 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

Fairley's Pharmacy in Portland OR, been open since 1913-

fairleys.jpg

7109539927_5986e8be34_c.jpg

I really love the dark cherry colors on the counter and seats on this one :x

Looks like they can hook me up with a nice coffee, too. 

On 6/27/2024 at 8:53 AM, Hepcat said:

Great write-up and I love the pictures!

Sadly drug store soda fountains had almost completely disappeared from my neck of the woods (London, Ontario) during my formative comic buying years in the early 1960's and they were certainly gone by 1980. These days I know of none whatsoever in the Toronto to Hamilton to London area. 

Since I never took up drinking alcohol, I'm still all about ice cream sodas, sundaes and milkshakes like any proper comic reading kid. Therefore I'd be glad to learn about any drug store soda fountains that still exist anywhere in North America. Are any still around in your neck of the woods? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who misses old-fashioned soda fountains so let the rest of us know!

???

There aren’t any drugstore soda fountains that I know of now in the San Francisco area and the few that I recall have been gone for at least 30-40 years or longer. The pharmacy business and times have changed. Independent drugstores have been replaced by bigger chains or conglomerates. Selling items other than pharmacy items, snacks, sodas and alcohol is not profitable. Tastes have changed as people and kids want less dairy but prefer more caffeinated items like tea, coffee or caffeinated energy drinks. Young people or adults don’t hang out at soda fountains as in the past anymore but maybe at cafes or at the mall. I like ice cream but haven’t had a milkshake or a sundae in a long time.

drugstore pics
Little girl reading a comic while drinking an ice cream float in a Detroit Michigan drugstore. (pic by Howard McGraw)

Girls on an old time phone (probably talking to a boy) with their milkshakes in Lebanon Kansas drugstore in 1957. See the comics (Tom & Jerry 154, Nancy and Sluggo 143) and magazines (For Men Only, Stag, True Story) on the left. Also note the display for cigarettes on the counter.

Another girl reading a comic at another drugstore in Lebanon Kansas in 1957. (pic by Francis Miller)

detroit howard mcgraw.jpg

lebanon ks drugstore 57.jpg

lebanon drugstore 57-1 francis miller.jpg

On 6/30/2024 at 9:41 PM, Hepcat said:

Come on folks! There's gotta be more drug store soda fountains still around somewhere.

Here's an article I just found:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/04/19/long-after-heyday-soda-fountain-pharmacies-still-got-fizz/

Has anybody checked out either of the Green Line Apothecaries in Rhode Island?

13-768x501.jpg

???

The Question should be are there any comic racks around anymore?

image.jpeg.044bfe79fa4fe1564a270553aa6e4d39.jpeg

comicrack-1.thumb.jpg.d8a1587ae2d708a902071ca8825ec69a.jpgcomicrack-2.jpg.b374e92515b1954ad5fe52f5bee2a9b9.jpg

Newsstand-lois-Clark4thseason-Ghost-Scotlandyard.png.d184e80bc0a07318515999c5f9332c3e.pngNewsstand-lois-Clark4thseason-Ghost-Scotlandyard-2.png.5edd63971e2a9fbc12c0fd4a70dacda0.png

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 12:16 PM, SpineTic said:

Screenshot(118).png.42d34cc924ddbc5d9711a383c8835af3.png

I believe that was the exact Mad magazine I bought for my reading enjoyment on a class train trip to Toronto in the spring of 1965! 

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat