• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Cool pic. I spy a Showcase #1 both on the shelf and in the boy's hands. The girl looks to be reading the Betty and Veronica.

Little Archie 1, Mad 27 and Scrooge 13 round out some of the early issues besides the usual cool books. I don't see the Detective comics possibly 225?

Ed

Edit, I see it's issue 230.

Edited by ft88

Cool pic. I spy a Showcase #1 both on the shelf and in the boy's hands. The girl looks to be reading the Betty and Veronica.

Little Archie 1, Mad 27 and Scrooge 13 round out some of the early issues besides the usual cool books. I don't see the Detective comics possibly 225?

Ed

Edit, I see it's issue 230.

I think cover date for Tec 225 was Nov '55?? if so this pic would be about 6 months later..

Not exactly a newsstand pic, but comics-reading in the media.

This is from a 1960 issue of "TV Radio Mirror" -- Dee Finch from WNEW

in New York. He and his radio partner, Gene Kalvan, are dubbed "Masters of the Mad Lib" in the mag. A condescending "even Superman" (127) comment, isn't it?

DeeFinch.jpg

Mrs. Finch looks to me kind of pizzed off about the whole thing.

Jack

Mrs. Finch looks hammered.

If I remember correctly, that's a modern photo. The kids were dressed in 50s clothes and positioned in front of the comics.

Yes, it's a modern pic. IIRC, it was featured in an early issue of CBM. In fact, that's the synchronic collection that launched me into my own search for March 1952, some 7 years and 9 months ago ... and I'm still not done :flamed:

If I remember correctly, that's a modern photo. The kids were dressed in 50s clothes and positioned in front of the comics.

Yes, it's a modern pic. IIRC, it was featured in an early issue of CBM. In fact, that's the synchronic collection that launched me into my own search for March 1952, some 7 years and 9 months ago ... and I'm still not done :flamed:

doh! I thought that WAS your collection.

I have a nice b&w pic of a late 30's newstand in a book on the thirties. I'll have to scan and post it. It has comics, pulps, and magazines pictured.

HEY THERE.....

check this out.

CAP #12.... 1942 + others

Probably ranks in the TOP 5 coolest newsstand pics I have found.

1942newsstandlarge.jpg

Very cool.

That's Captain Marvel #7, I believe. Cap Marvel #7 according to GCD has a date of 2-6-42. The Mystic #8 is March 1942.

I think there is an Exciting Comics behind him - either #16 or #17. And the Crack is most likely #21?