• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC, Greggy, Doc Watson and drbanner BANNED!

208 posts in this topic

I can not fathom the number to have clicked on the thread with glee to find naught but disappointment seconds later.

Well played sir, yet I can not escape a twinge of sorrow as I would have gladly fallen upon my own sword for the benefit of the whole.

Indeed, as logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. :(

With JC's new vow to behave, not on the VCC, refrain from name-calling and insulting other forum members, and not disparage these boards or this hobby as a "nerdfest" or use any other derogatory terms or phrases in reference to any of the above, I will point out for some of the newbies that weren't around back then this gem of JC's - Free Listing Day on EBay! lol

And don't forget about my infamous Amazing Spider-man 129 25-cent Variant auction, which sucked in an absolute TON of people. lol

Amazing Spider-man 129 - First Punisher - RARE 25-CENT VARIANT!

I purchased this comic right off the newsstand in downtown NY (during a trip) and dutifully filed it away in my collection. Only later, when I started attending ComicCons, did I start noticing that the cover price was different, and featured a 25¢ notation, rather than the standard 20¢ I kept seeing on display. At the time, I really didn't think much of it, and since dealers didn't have a clue and really weren't interested in helping me out, it became a curiosity in my collection.

I have some bills to pay and have decided that the pleasure of owning this book doesn't outweigh financial responsibility, so I'm putting it up for auction. The condition is VF/NM, and with the regular 20¢ edition selling for over $500 in this condition, I hope you will recognize the incredible scarcity of this 25¢ variant, and bid appropriately. Please read below for a history of this particular comic, along with my conversations with Marvel regarding its origins and veracity.

I had a the good fortune of hitting a Marvel ComicCon in NY during the late-70's, and decided to take the book along and see if anyone at Marvel knew what was up. I showed the book to a few Marvelites (including Stan the Man) and none of them had any ideas, but Sal Buscema did point me in the direction of a gentleman at the Marvel Display, a Mr. Sol Brodsky. Apparently, Mr. Brodsky handled operations and circulation, and was a long-time Marvel employee.

When I showed him the comic, his eyes lit up, and I'll do my best to relay what I remember of our conversation and Mr. Brodsky's replies:

"I never thought I'd see one of those again. You see Stan was real worried about the proposed 25¢ price increase, so he wanted to make sure he wasn't stepping into a landmine. He talked to me about doing some market research, but as our department consisted of me and a secretary, we didn't have the manpower or procedures in place. We agreed on a compromise, whereby we would print up a few of the higher 25¢ issues, distribute these to nearby newsstand vendors and do a quick tally of any customer resistance. It was pretty basic, and at lunch, I'd head down with a few stacks of books, give them to the vendors and then check the stands and ask if anyone complained."

I then asked Mr. Brodsky how many copies of these were produced, which months/issues and which newsstands:

"I can't really remember which issues, but we stuck to the popular series, and along with this Spidey, I think we used an Avengers and maybe a Conan issue from the same time. We did this for 3 consecutive months, and couldn't have printed more than a hundred copies, and maybe not that many of the last issue. By that time, Stan had decided to go ahead with the 25¢ jump, and even decided to post an apology in the various letter pages. And like I said, we wanted to keep it small, so we only used 3-4 newsstands that were in walking distance of the Marvel offices. I think we gave the vendors some free Marvel stuff to go along with the test."

Now I have never seen another of these ASM 129 25¢ issues, and with approximately 100 copies printed, it's not surprising. I've also never seen these fabled Avengers or Conan 25¢ variants either, but using Mr. Brodsky's comments, it's pretty easy to narrow down which ones they may be.

Amazing Spider-man 129 was a February 1974 issue, and Marvel went 25¢ across the board in May. So the other possible 25¢ variants would be the subsequent March and April issues, or Avengers 121 and 122, along with Conan 36 and 37. Obviously, the ASM 129 is the only key issue in the bunch, but if you bought comics near the Marvel Offices in downtown NY, then checking for these ultra rare books might be worth your while.

55798-asm_129_var_1.jpg.a1fd7debdb4b061a0f0391b909811ab6.jpg

And don't forget about my infamous Amazing Spider-man 129 25-cent Variant auction, which sucked in an absolute TON of people.

Forget? I guess you didn't click on my link above... doh!

zzz

Should have read Scrooge, HarveyDude, Ze-Man, and FazyBones Banned. :gossip:

For some reason and knowing that character Nerf, I had a feeling this

was a prank and still a good one and the post definitely caught my

eye and made me do a double take.

Now I've got to find a way to get even with Mica for smearing my bad

name. :o

:jokealert:

:hi::foryou:

JC being banned would have been Christmas, not April`s fools. :cloud9:

Just yesterday I was giving you kudos for acting like a man and not trolling me. doh!

"Enough about me . . . let's talk about you. What do you think about me?" :roflmao:

JC being banned would have been Christmas, not April`s fools. :cloud9:

Just yesterday I was giving you kudos for acting like a man and not trolling me. doh!

"Enough about me . . . let's talk about you. What do you think about me?" :roflmao:

Mary Tyler Moore.... hm

Yes , DOC. I had 1st thought that you must had takin' one for the team last night .Maybe next time !!...................BH

I can not fathom the number to have clicked on the thread with glee to find naught but disappointment seconds later.

Well played sir, yet I can not escape a twinge of sorrow as I would have gladly fallen upon my own sword for the benefit of the whole.