• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Mile Highs?

170 posts in this topic

"abrogate", now that is a seldom used word on these boards (thumbs u

I try not to obfuscate my meaning. lol

Listen, the party involved doesn't want to come on here and debate with a bunch of Board members (gee, that got Bluechip real far, didn't it?). Taking the 5th is the smart play - just sit in the Ivory Tower and let the rabble babble as much as they want.

As long as witnesses survive, there will be testimonial evidence. But those witnesses are reluctant to speak out (for a variety of reasons), so the ugly thing lingers like a dark cloud.

What we basically end up with is a Mexican Standoff...who's gonna blink first?

i did

Thanks for having the cahunas to state that! (thumbs u

Looks like the high end GA market is one to steer clear of unless you are an insider......... :sorry:

I wouldn't say that at all.... this was a relatively isolated incident that occured about 20 years ago... this is exactly why,. at the time, many "insiders" in the hobby didn't want the info out.... general/blanket statements like the one above...it can hurt the hobby, even if no relevance, especially today, with 3rd party certs , etc, etc

sure, it was a big black eye at the time, but time heals... let's leave it that way (I see no reason to pick at a 20 year old scab)

This all sounds like a daytime soap opera. Lawsuits, assault, murder convictions....what next? :shrug:

the comic geek gets the girl...

:insane:

truth is stranger than fiction.

lol

i did

Looks like the high end GA market is one to steer clear of unless you are an insider......... :sorry:

I wouldn't say that at all.... this was a relatively isolated incident that occured about 20 years ago... this is exactly why,. at the time, many "insiders" in the hobby didn't want the info out.... general/blanket statements like the one above...it can hurt the hobby, even if no relevance, especially today, with 3rd party certs , etc, etc

sure, it was a big black eye at the time, but time heals... let's leave it that way (I see no reason to pick at a 20 year old scab)

Well said, rick (thumbs u - the general health of the hobby is paramount at this point in time.

This all sounds like a daytime soap opera. Lawsuits, assault, murder convictions....what next? :shrug:

the comic geek gets the girl...

:insane:

truth is stranger than fiction.

lol

I got the girl, but I was a closet geek as I was also the star jock in my class. ;)

i did

Well said, rick (thumbs u - the general health of the hobby is paramount at this point in time.

Good points, but the more stories you hear about the doctoring/touch ups that has been done on GA books the less appealing it is to look at chasing them. Given the fact that the higher the $$$ the more appealing it is for dealers/owners to work on the book, and the fact that CGC cannot spot certain types of trimming 100% of the time (there is probably other stuff that slips by as well), it does make me a bit leery about my plans to start chasing these books in a couple of years once the house and car are paid off (wife's requirement).

My take on all this is until a couple of the people who actually had the guy sell them a fake come on and talk about it (which even then would be a he said she said thing) I can't in good faith condem the person for that act. I have my opinion on the incident, but no hard eveidence and since no one wants to talk about it on the record, it's all just rumour, legend and innuendo.

Let me just say, that the people who have told me what they know are in my opinion, very trustworthy and good guys.

..the more stories you hear about the doctoring/touch ups that has been done on GA books...

I was just having this same conversation with another long-term collector buddy of mine offline....How many of our comics have hidden restoration? (shrug)

I just got back two important books from CGC, one a Church and one an Indian Reservation, that I bought back in the old days. They were my first submissions to CGC.

The Church book had been purchased from Dave Anderson and it came back with "Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover". :frustrated:

The Indian Reservation book had been purchased from Gary Carter and it came back with "Very small amount of color touch on cover". :frustrated:

Fortunately they both came back Blue, but still...

very true.... long time raw books probably have a LOT done to them that was either intentionally or unintentionally not disclosed...

I suspect that cgc can pretty accurately detect trimming on GA books...no real worries there...

and, other than pressing, I would say that get it "right' more than not.... so, if buying big $ books, buy them slabbed or raw from a trusted seller with a return policy.. really no risk at all :)

..the more stories you hear about the doctoring/touch ups that has been done on GA books...

I was just having this same conversation with another long-term collector buddy of mine offline....How many of our comics have hidden restoration? (shrug)

I just got back two important books from CGC, one a Church and one an Indian Reservation, that I bought back in the old days. They were my first submissions to CGC.

The Church book had been purchased from Dave Anderson and it came back with "Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover". :frustrated:

The Indian Reservation book had been purchased from Gary Carter and it came back with "Very small amount of color touch on cover". :frustrated:

Fortunately they both came back Blue, but still...

Hi - first time I've heard of Indian Reservation books.

Could you please explain the history behind the collection/pedigree?

Hi - first time I've heard of Indian Reservation books.

Could you please explain the history behind the collection/pedigree?

Gary Carter discovered this fabulous collection and he tells the story better than anyone. But the short version is lots and lots of books from a literal Indian Reservation (and I believe tons more books from the source were later destroyed).

i did

So Jason Ewert will be forgiven in twenty years? Altering a book and deliberately misrepresenting it to maximize profit is unethical no matter who does it. Sweeping it under the table, especially if it involves high profile participants and/or books is a diservice to the hobby. I understand that people can see the error of there ways, and behave ethically from then on, but not owning up to the past doesn't help convince others that you have changed your ways.

At least one of the witnesses has now died from what I hear.

How did he die? (I'm finally reading this today and I think I need to call in Monk) :baiting:

I've never chased high grade books, makes me even happier with my lovely, charming, dreadful minus copies after reading this.

I'd never expect perfection until they have robots with super vision grading instead of people, so on the whole, I think CGC does a very good job. I DO own a number of Plods, and I'm always impressed at what was found. Actually, I hope they keep finding more, I kind of like Purple;) .