• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Mile Highs?

170 posts in this topic

(thumbs u

and to be clear, for those keeping score at home, Danny=thebigloo=redmelvin27=thedentist=daveanderson=unnamed Texas dealer

Fixed that for you.

From San Antonio? Name slips my mind but I'm sure you posted it in the past. doh!

(thumbs u

and to be clear, for those keeping score at home, Danny=thebigloo=redmelvin27=thedentist=daveanderson=unnamed Texas dealer

Fixed that for you.

From San Antonio? Name slips my mind but I'm sure you posted it in the past. doh!
Oh yeah...Joe Dungan? Doesn't matter, as you stated, he's a former dealer.

(thumbs u

Fixed that for you.

Oh yeah...Joe Dungan? Doesn't matter, as you stated, he's a former dealer.

Joe Dungan, from Now and Then Collectibles... again, just connecting the dots for folks

I'm confused. What does Danny/Fantazia have to do with dave anderson/thebigloo?
That's problem with sarcastic joke posts. Sometimes they don't translate well on the interwebs. I don't think they were being serious about the dentist being connected to Danny.

How do you know one is faked though?

Jim

It's not so much how you can tell a fake, as how you can tell the real deal. The ink reflectivity, suppleness of the book, and the distinctive smell give a Church copy away.

I'm confused. What does Danny/Fantazia have to do with dave anderson/thebigloo?
That's problem with sarcastic joke posts. Sometimes they don't translate well on the interwebs. I don't think they were being serious about the dentist being connected to Danny.

sorry folks...I do forget that we are more "light" hearted here in the GA forum, just trying to have some fun...I think all know that by now :foryou:

and I was following up Crow's post about the fact that the Fake MH's did travel through multiple hands/sources...so the "=" really could be taken as an arrow (but I didn't know how to make one)

that said, Joe Dungan was "Now and Then Collectibles" in SA Tx...and I did buy some books from him, long ago...

Ask nicely and I'll tell everything I kmow.

Jay

OK. So what do you know about it. Will you tell us? Pretty please?

:baiting:

Back around 1977, Chuck Rozanski Received a phone call from someone who wanted to sell his large collection of comics. He tried other dealers but none seemed to want to make the trip to see the comics. The seller reported had an $1800 figure in mind for the 18000 comics. Chuck went down to see the books which were stored in a dark, cool basement which was filled floor to ceiling with books.

Edgar Church, was a commercial artist and purchased all the newstand materials in order to help him in his career. The story goes that he had some difficulty drawing human figures. Therefore, it is thought, that he wished to improve his skills with cartoons that led him to purchase the comics?

More..........later

Jay

Back around 1977, Chuck Rozanski Received a phone call from someone who wanted to sell his large collection of comics. He tried other dealers but none seemed to want to make the trip to see the comics. The seller reported had an $1800 figure in mind for the 18000 comics. Chuck went down to see the books which were stored in a dark, cool basement which was filled floor to ceiling with books.

Edgar Church, was a commercial artist and purchased all the newstand materials in order to help him in his career. The story goes that he had some difficulty drawing human figures. Therefore, it is thought, that he wished to improve his skills with cartoons that led him to purchase the comics?

More..........later

:makepoint:

Jay

With sugar on top? :foryou:

EDIT: Never mind. :blush:

Jim

It's all in the smell...

Here's the bottom line: Bluechip is a contemporary event, while the other Big Bad Woolf is ancient history.

It's easy to connect the dots with Bluechip because they're all scrambled here in front of us. With the other situation, try doing some research and archaeology and hope to come up with the right facts.

There's no game playing or posturing that I can see. Us collectors are - for better or worse - one big family, and it's very difficult to give up such a shameful family secret, no matter how badly we get along. :gossip:

Sean, I remember the Flash 56 fiasco - IIRC, he tried to peddle TWO of them off as Mile Highs! Very brazen (and foolish), indeed.

There's no game playing or posturing that I can see. Us collectors are - for better or worse - one big family, and it's very difficult to give up such a shameful family secret, no matter how badly we get along. :gossip:

(thumbs u

Sean, I remember the Flash 56 fiasco - IIRC, he tried to peddle TWO of them off as Mile Highs! Very brazen (and foolish), indeed.

Very. I mean you'd almost expect that from a NY dealer, but one from Texas... ;)

Jim

It's all in the smell...

Here's the bottom line: Bluechip is a contemporary event, while the other Big Bad Woolf is ancient history.

It's easy to connect the dots with Bluechip because they're all scrambled here in front of us. With the other situation, try doing some research and archaeology and hope to come up with the right facts.

Steve is correct that it was a long time ago. Although, at the time the facts were fairly well established as I remember it. Due to the stature of the dealer/collector and the nature of the hobby then, not much was, or could have been, done about it. These days you can out someone so quickly and spread the word like wildfire.

My recollection is that just about all of the dealers I knew, and the collectors who attended most shows knew about this ugly chapter in our hobby at the time.

Steve is correct that it was a long time ago. Although, at the time the facts were fairly well established as I remember it. Due to the stature of the dealer/collector and the nature of the hobby then, not much was, or could have been, done about it.

When the "hand of god" comes down like a dues ex machina and tells everyone to sweep it under the rug and be quiet, people tend to listen.

Old thread about fake Church book. LINK

It seems people don't want to post their info for some reason, well if you know something pm me and I'll gladly put it here.

How do you know one is fake or not?

The faked one in the story I made a passing reference to smelled like moth-balls, which, for those of you keeping score at home, is one of the attributes of the Hawkeye collection.