• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Mile Highs?

170 posts in this topic

found this online:

link

Ewert v. Coller et al

Plaintiff: Jason Ewert

Defendant: Bruce Coller

Case Number: 8:2007cv02124

Filed: November 19, 2007

Court: Florida Middle District Court

Office: Tampa Office [ Court Info ]

County: Sarasota

Nature of Suit: Torts - Injury - Assault, Libel, and Slander

Cause: 28:1332 Diversity-Libel, Assault, Slander

Jurisdiction: Diversity

Jury Demanded By: None

Why would Ewert be the PLANTIFF? One would think he'd be the defendant; especially in Sarasota county FLA...

*edit* I guess Ewert is suing BronzeBruce for slander? Was that done on these boards?

could someone tell me the jason ewert story,i've been out of the loop for a few years

"The Jason Ewett Story" is soon to be a made for tv movie starring Tony Danza and Karen Allen on the Lifetime channel.

I don't know who Karen Allen is, but I know one thing. Tony Danza spells fun.

found this online:

link

Ewert v. Coller et al

What's up with the assault charge? Am I to gather that these type of lawsuits are weapons to keep people from speaking their minds on these boards?

found this online:

link

Ewert v. Coller et al

What's up with the assault charge?

hm

Am I to gather that these type of lawsuits are weapons to keep people from speaking their minds on these boards?

As we all know, a lawsuit is a common form of intimidation as well as redress. The last thing that the courts want to deal with are endless 'he said/she said' type of lawsuits based on internet chat and discussion boards.

There is a lot of legal support to uphold this viewpoint (check out the Rosenthal decision or suppressed elements of the Communications Decenty Act of 1996 if you'd like to research further).

Should be interesting to see what one of our legal eagles (paging Mr. Zaid!) has to say about it...

could someone tell me the jason ewert story,i've been out of the loop for a few years

"The Jason Ewett Story" is soon to be a made for tv movie starring Tony Danza and Karen Allen on the Lifetime channel.

I don't know who Karen Allen is, but I know one thing. Tony Danza spells fun.

karren-allen-photo-by-lisa-levart.jpg

Best known as the actress in the first Indiana Jones movie (and, apparently, Indy's babymamma for Indiana Jones 4).

Am I to gather that these type of lawsuits are weapons to keep people from speaking their minds on these boards?

As we all know, a lawsuit is a common form of intimidation as well as redress. The last thing that the courts want to deal with are endless 'he said/she said' type of lawsuits based on internet chat and discussion boards.

There is a lot of legal support to uphold this viewpoint (check out the Rosenthal decision or suppressed elements of the Communications Decenty Act of 1996 if you'd like to research further).

Should be interesting to see what one of our legal eagles (paging Mr. Zaid!) has to say about it...

Matter was dismissed on January 31, 2008 for lack of jurisdiction (Court found no power over New Jersey and Penn. defendants who performed no acts to expose them to court action in Florida). (He can, of course, commence actions in NJ or Penn where he could get personal jurisdiction)

BruceColler and Brian Ketterer were sued.

ALLEGATIONS OF COMPLAINT

(meaning just that, claims which have to be proven.) Allegations of Mr. Ewert, not facts.

It is basically alleged that Coller and Ketterer promulgated the issues Ewert had with CGC and the issue of trimmed books that were given a universal (blue) label and that CGC requested Ewert to write on the CGC online message board "describing the trimmed books were purchased from Mark Schreuder, a known collector who had been convicted of murder and who was banned from submitting comic books to CGC for grading and 'slabbing' because he was caught switching labels on 'slabbed' comic books"

These two, it is alleged, used their "well-known clout to spread "false, injurious statements and threats to and about Ewert." They are alleged to have used the internet to further distibute their "disdain for Ewert and engrage other members of the vintage comic book collector's society. [bronzeBruce13 and Foolkiller]. The complaint further goes on to allege that the trimming allegations destroyed Ewerts credibility and reputation which was the only viable way to stay in business. Such a course of action, it is alleged, would provide more business for Coller, Ketterer and their friends who were Ewert's competitors and adversaries.

It is further alleged they contacted Ewert customers on Ebay and passed on this false infomation. Ewert alleges that the Boards suspected "significant inaccuracies in CGC's verbal and online posted statements about the trimming of the slabbed comicbooks garnering blue...label" but the defendants persisted in spite of these postings when they "knew or should have known" of the inaccuracies of "at the very least the statements were subject to suspect..."

It is alleged that defendants used their 'popularity' to degrade Ewert and interfered with potential business relationships of his.

That be it. No idea if CGC has been sued in a parallel matter since they ARE in Florida. However, that would be in state court since there is no diversity of citizenship unless they are incorporated in a different state.

jb

who is bluechip?

I can't quite remember.

I suspect Steve Fishler of Metropolis Comics knows Bluechip Quite Well. He seems to know about his comics and Stock holdings. :headbang:

A direct quote from the Cnn transcript:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0802/10/cnnitm.01.html

" Fishler says some rare blue chip comics have out performed blue chip stocks".

Did he have an Action 1 in mind when he said that ???hm