• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

July is going to be an expensive month.

“When Image Comics publish The Walking Dead #100 in July, they’ll be doing so with a bang. As well as Charlie Adlard doing a cover, a wraparound cover and seeing his work transformed into a Chromium cover, there will also be covers by fellow Image stable mates Frank Quitely, Todd McFarlane, Marc Silvestri, Bryan Hitch, Sean Phillips and Ryan Ottley.

The comic is the fifth Image title to reach such lofty heights, after Spawn, Savage Dragon, Witchblade and The Darkness, and the only title not created by one of the original founders.”

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/13/quitely-mcfarlane-silvestri-hitch-phillips-ottley-draw-covers-for-walking-dead/

If each one of them do a cover we're looking at at least 8 (if Adlard's first STF promo is only in Chromium) Let's hope some of those are relegated to SDCC and not 1:250 variants.

...and with this news I bid collecting The Walking Dead adieu.

I thought I would last to #100, but I won't be chasing those variants just so I can have them all.

1994, is that you?

It's been so long since I've seen you. You sound just like 1994. That's when the speculator, bulle cover variant garbage imploded on itself the last time. lol You sound exactly as fed up as many people did back then. They left and never came back.

Pull out some of those Chromium covers (e.g., X-O #0 or Bloodshot #0) they are pretty. I was one of those people who took off in the 90's and the Walking Dead brought me back to comics with a smash hiit on cable television. I'm not scared unless a bunch of new comic companys start popping up and folding in a span of six months and titles start getting canceled that are selling 150K issues a month. I know that everyone has a bad taste in their mouth from what went on back then, but I'm not worried yet. I think these covers will be beautiful. I sure as hell hope they will be.

I agree and unless there's one that's a 200:1 variant I think they will be when the come and they absolutely will be a few months after they come out. It would be a shame for the variants to be so exclusive your traditional fan couldn't afford to add them to his or her collection.

...and with this news I bid collecting The Walking Dead adieu.

I thought I would last to #100, but I won't be chasing those variants just so I can have them all.

I had the same thought.

I haven't been impressed with Walking Dead for a few years now. The sher amount of con variants to come out didn't make me happy, either. This is the final nail in the coffin.

I realize I don't have to buy the variants, and can just enjoy the story.

However, the lack of quality I've been seeing in the book, coupled with this, makes me believe the quality is gone, and that the book has moved into making as much cash as possible.

I couldn't agree more. I think I have just been buying TWD in hopes that it will capture some of that early magic but it has been YEARS since it has been great. Sometimes it is good but mostly it is just mediocre.

And I knew this was coming when they started coming out with the weekly reprints. Pure money grab.

124737.jpg.fbaead5c78f1aa95bd66f3126cd6cb7f.jpg

Not criticizing anyone at all, but let me just say that walking dead has never stopped being excellent for me.

I still get it the day it comes out (90% of the time at least) but I am always a little bit disappointed with it. Just a little. I probably won't give it up completely just yet though.

Not criticizing anyone at all, but let me just say that walking dead has never stopped being excellent for me.

Reads way better as a TPB or full arc at a time.

As standalone stories there are the occasional "WOW" individual books, but it hasn't been consistently awesome for a few years. The second 48 aren't on the same level as the first 48.

I keep buying it every month, hoping for something that I don't always get. As a TPB, however, it still pops.

It's the epitome of a "arc at a time" book.

I read the first seven hardcovers at the same time and there is a noticable drop in excitement, thrill, etc. between the first 48 and the next half. I don't know that one half is better than the other from a critical standpoint, but I don't know that I'm much of a critic. The other thing is that once you've enjoyed the book arc at a time it is hard to read issue by issue and be satisfied. I almost wish that the book was published every six weeks and was 150% of the current length.

THE WALKING DEAD #100

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

art CHARLIE ADLARD & CLIFF RATHBURN

cover a CHARLIE ADLARD

cover b MARC SILVESTRI

cover c FRANK QUITELY

cover d TODD McFARLANE

cover e SEAN PHILLIPS

cover f BRYAN HITCH

cover g RYAN OTTLEY

cover h CHARLIE ADLARD WRAP-AROUND

retail incentive cover: B&W CHARLIE ADLARD WRAP-AROUND 1:200

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/13/image-comics-july-solicitations/

THE WALKING DEAD #100 CHROMIUM EDITION

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

cover CHARLIE ADLARD chromium wraparound

JULY 11

40 PAGES / BW / M

$9.99

THE WALKING DEAD #100 POSTER

The epic cover for THE WALKING DEAD #100 cover is now available as a poster! No fan should be without this undead wall candy.

JULY 11

24×36 $9.99

Edited by Tuff Ghost

THE WALKING DEAD #100

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

cover a CHARLIE ADLARD

cover b MARC SILVESTRI

cover c FRANK QUITELY

cover d TODD McFARLANE

cover e SEAN PHILLIPS

cover f BRYAN HITCH

cover g RYAN OTTLEY

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

JULY 11

40 PAGES / BW / M

$9.99

The epic cover for THE WALKING DEAD #100 cover is now available as a poster! No fan should be without this undead wall candy.

JULY 11

24×36 $9.99

:P

THE WALKING DEAD #100

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

cover a CHARLIE ADLARD

cover b MARC SILVESTRI

cover c FRANK QUITELY

cover d TODD McFARLANE

cover e SEAN PHILLIPS

cover f BRYAN HITCH

cover g RYAN OTTLEY

story ROBERT KIRKMAN

JULY 11

40 PAGES / BW / M

$9.99

JULY 11

24×36 $9.99

so, 10 different covers? and the chromium one is $10?

IF my shop gets all 8 of the normal covers, that'd be just under $22 at my LCS+ $10....and they don't carry incentive books...and i'm not interested in spending big money on it anyway.

This will suck for OCD collectors. For other people it's a celebration of hitting issue #100 and you can just pick up whatever cover you like :P

*sadly I fall into the first group lol

yeah...i'll get everything except the 1:200 and maybe the chromium (depends on how it looks)....but man, that's gonna be an expensive pull