• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
12 12

40,446 posts in this topic

Until I can buy a New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8 for less than $100, I'm nothing but happy about print runs. I appreciate that we are all more careful with our books now than we were in the 90's but I still remember books being canceled when they sold 150K issues a month. I think it's a great time to be collecting and I'm happy that more people are reading the Walking Dead each month. In fact, I hope issue 100 sells 250K copies and out sells every Marvel and DC title that month (wishful thinking but I hope it happens).

I think what Chris is inferring is that this would be a bad time to start ordering 40 copies a month of each issue in hopes that you can turn a profit on them in the secondary market.

Sorry, not sure I catch the reference to NM 98. What was the print run on that book? You are saying you would be unhappy if you could buy one for less than $100...?

We guessedamated it at 150K

Until I can buy a New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8 for less than $100, I'm nothing but happy about print runs. I appreciate that we are all more careful with our books now than we were in the 90's but I still remember books being canceled when they sold 150K issues a month. I think it's a great time to be collecting and I'm happy that more people are reading the Walking Dead each month. In fact, I hope issue 100 sells 250K copies and out sells every Marvel and DC title that month (wishful thinking but I hope it happens).

I think what Chris is inferring is that this would be a bad time to start ordering 40 copies a month of each issue in hopes that you can turn a profit on them in the secondary market.

I agree and I obviously do not know nearly as much as most of you (I only retailed for a few years and Capital City was an alternative to Diamond it was so long ago) but I think that almost anything can happen with the strange effects of the internet, speculation crazyness, etc. For example, if you told me that the print run on Saga 1 was going to be 500% the print run of the Walking Dead 1 or 900% Chew 1, I'd say that it's a cover price book except as a slabbed 9.6 or 9.8. I'm not so sure anymore. I saw a Walking Dead 19 sell for $250 on ebay today that had a color breaking crease that was at least three inches long. It is a crazy market. I don't sell comics, but there are moments when I think it may be a great way to supplement my income or at least pay for my hobby which is becoming increasingly expensive.

What do you guys think? My analogy to New Mutants 98 can be replaced with Vengeance of Bane and I imagine 10 other books that we could come up with in the next 20 minutes. If I'm way off or even partially off, please correct me. I'm here to learn as much as anything.

That's a bingo!

Is that how you say it "that's a bingo" ??

lol

AGREED. Take the lack of secondary market interest in issue 95...multiply that lack of interest by 10...and see where that gets you on 96-102. And...once speculators take a bath on these issues, I think we will certainly see some correction in back issue prices, as I think at least half of the recent movement is directly related to speculation rather than new collectors/new readers.

AGREED. Take the lack of secondary market interest in issue 95...multiply that lack of interest by 10...and see where that gets you on 96-102. And...once speculators take a bath on these issues, I think we will certainly see some correction in back issue prices, as I think at least half of the recent movement is directly related to speculation rather than new collectors/new readers.

I think there will be a correction on some but not all issues. I think 1, 19, and 27 will always be the desirable keys of the series.

I'm not so sure about 27. It's hot now as everyone rushes to pick it up before the Governor appears in season three...but really, how important is the Governor? He was in...what? Maybe 13 issues? Great story, to be sure, but I don't know if it will hold this kind of value very long.

IMO, with the deaths of Lori, Hershel, the Governor (and Patricia!), issue 48 is much more significant. Cooler cover, too. ;-)

Edited by jjeanius

And...here's an interesting point of comparison:

WD 1, the start of it all, has a print run of only 7000 or so...while WD 19, first Michonne, which is a key but is also much less significant than issue 1, has a print run of 17k+.

And yet...despite the disparity in both print run and importance, WD 1 is in the $1300 range as a CGC 9.8, while WD 19 is about $800 at the moment.

I don't know if issue 1 is undervalued, 19 is overvalued, or both, but...I think there should be more separation between the two.

Edited by jjeanius

And...here's an interesting point of comparison:

WD 1, the start of it all, has a print run of only 7000 or so...while WD 19, first Michonne, which is a key but is also much less significant than issue 1, has a print run of 17k+.

And yet...despite the disparity in both print run and importance, WD 1 is in the $1300 range as a CGC 9.8, while WD 19 is about $800 at the moment.

I don't know if issue 1 is undervalued, 19 is overvalued, or both, but...I think there should be more separation between the two.

That's the thousand dollar question (maybe ten to twenty thousand dollar question ... it certainly isn't a million dollar question, but it could be an expensive question depending on how much you're invested). lol

No comments...

Just wanted to post on the 1000th page of this Walking Dead Thread!!!!

Page 334 for me here. You are not a noob by any stretch sir, time to change those default settings. :baiting:

lol

Page 1000 for me as well :sorry:

Jim