• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I think the seller end of the equation is irrelevant. "I won't sell it at any price"...that doesn't make it more valuable than if your ask is $1miliion. And asking $200k for a CGC 9.8 of WD 61 doesn't make it more valuable, either. It takes buyers to establish value...not sellers.

And...IMO, there is a difference between a piece of art selling at a certain price, and a piece of art being WORTH a certain price. Someone can overpay for something, that doesn't make it worth that much. Just as in any true auction setting, it takes TWO buyers to establish value. The high bidder might always be willing to go higher...but the value of the piece is determined by where the 2nd bidder stops.

Now, get two people in a room, both of whom are willing to drop $50k large on this cover, and then let there be fireworks.

I think the seller end of the equation is irrelevant. "I won't sell it at any price"...that doesn't make it more valuable than if your ask is $1miliion. And asking $200k for a CGC 9.8 of WD 61 doesn't make it more valuable, either. It takes buyers to establish value...not sellers.

And...IMO, there is a difference between a piece of art selling at a certain price, and a piece of art being WORTH a certain price. Someone can overpay for something, that doesn't make it worth that much. Just as in any true auction setting, it takes TWO buyers to establish value. The high bidder might always be willing to go higher...but the value of the piece is determined by where the 2nd bidder stops.

Now, get two people in a room, both of whom are willing to drop $50k large on this cover, and then let there be fireworks.

Vaue is established whe a buyer and seller agree on a price.

The debate on intrinsic value is interesting but I disagree. It is worth what it sells for and not where the under bidder stops.

(and yes, I realize that OA is unique, so it loses a point of comparison there, but...if someone pays $50k for a cover that not a single other soul is willing to pay $20k for...do you think it's worth $50k, or $20k?

$50k to the buyer, perhaps...but hopefully he won't have to sell any time soon, as he won't be getting his money back out of it.

Really...? So if I sell you a comic for $25 that you can buy on eBay for $5...then it's worth $25?

That copy obviously was or it would not have sold for that amount.

"Worth" is almost total compostable_fertilizer when it comes to comics. They aren't "worth" anything, but they sell for various amounts, some gigantic, every day.

So whatever a book sells for, at any given time, may be much more or less than what has been observed on other similar copies recently...but for that book, at that particular time it was "worth" that price to that buyer.

Really...? So if I sell you a comic for $25 that you can buy on eBay for $5...then it's worth $25?

That is its value, yes. It is worth whatever recycled paper is worth at that time.

The OA market is completly different then comics and to compare the two is next to impossible. If i own a piece that i paid 10k for then that it is its worth to me. To acquire this piece from me it will cost more then the 10k i paid for it whether it is worth it to you is how you value it. The 25 dollar comic argument doesnt hold up. You can post a comic for 200k like the wd61 but if there are 90 other copies on the same sight for 30 dollars that doesnt set value. With OA what it costs to acquire is its value period.

Traded for a couple of cool WD pages that haven't surfaced in a while, including Rick and Lori discussing the Shane-baby! (I want to make that sound like a monster, but it just doesn't work)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=887185&GSub=129204

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=887175&GSub=129204

Sometimes it takes "STOOPID MONEY" to pry a very special piece loose. In fact, that's often the case. It's very well-known in OA circles that if you want the very best, you will probably have to overpay to get it. It's opportunity cost. A piece may only be "worth" $20k in FMV, but if the buyer won't sell it for less than $25k, then you can either buy it, or pass. If you pass, chances are that the next time you have the opportunity to buy the same piece it will be even more expensive. So...collectors often pay "STOOPID MONEY" (i.e., well about FMV) to secure a piece that otherwise isn't for sale. It it's worth it to you, great, but just because a piece changes hands at a certain price doesn't mean that the price tag is the actual value, or that the new owner would ever be able to sell it again at the same price.

Personally, I prefer to buy things that I feel relatively confident that I would be able to get my money back out of again if the need arises. If money is no object to you, then perhaps this is not a consideration...and if you paid XYZ for it, feel free to tell yourself that it's worth XYZ...even if no one else agrees with you.

JJ,

I know you've taken some heat over in the OA forum, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS on getting a mention in Bleeding Cool this afternoon!

Linky: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/26/walking-dead-19-cover-on-sale-for-50000/

Soooo.... would $45K do it? :insane:

It's been a wild ride...no doubt about that! That is my 2nd Bleeding Cool story in a month. The last was the record setting Walking Dead 19 CGC SS!

All I can say is call me crazy, but at the end of the day, as I have stated over and over...

If it sells, great. If it doesn't, oh well. Nothing to lose.

It's been a wild ride...no doubt about that! That is my 2nd Bleeding Cool story in a month. The last was the record setting Walking Dead 19 CGC SS!

All I can say is call me crazy, but at the end of the day, as I have stated over and over...

I'm on board with you - to use an old hockey adage, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Edited by pkveronese

So which one of you snagged OA Issue #64, Page 02!? I was looking at it yesterday and would have bought it today BUT....it sold! :facepalm:

I am debating on buying a few pieces from SplashPage now, or wait until SDCC and visit their booth where Charlie will be signing/doing sketches. I am for sure getting all my sketch covers sketched on as I dont have ANY as of yet. Should I wait on buying until SDCC or should I snag a piece or two now and be that much poorer come July....decisions, decisions. (shrug)

JJ,

I know you've taken some heat over in the OA forum, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS on getting a mention in Bleeding Cool this afternoon!

Linky: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/26/walking-dead-19-cover-on-sale-for-50000/

Soooo.... would $45K do it? :insane:

There is no such thing as bad publicity. XOXOXO

Your friend,

--Sean.

Yeah it does. There really isnt hardly anything on SpashPage featuring walkers anymore, and all the significant pages are gone. Still some good finds. I am looking through and trying to decide on which ones I want right now, just narrowing it down. Tough to do!

I will post a pic of what I decided on after purchase.