• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

Yeah, back in the day i would def. let her ruin the hood of my car. Thanks for the compliments guys on the sketch. I wasn't really upset about it or anything. I could draw at the same level in 7th grade and i thought i was going to be the next John Byrne. Alas, i still draw like a really good 7th grader :)

Tawny Kitaen...mmm....

Makes me wonder what asking price on the OA for # 1 cover would be

Danny aka MutantKeys offered him 10K many years ago when that was an incredibly aggressive offer and he turned him down...so that should give you an idea.

That's a tough one to gauge. It's pretty iconic at this point, and it's the cover of the most important modern age book. (at least currently) If i still had my billions (drank it away) I would throw as many franklins at it as it took. I might even stage an ocean's eleven style heist to attain it if need be.

Makes me wonder what asking price on the OA for # 1 cover would be

Danny aka MutantKeys offered him 10K many years ago when that was an incredibly aggressive offer and he turned him down...so that should give you an idea.

I remember Danny selling some early OA pages for cheap in the sales forum. Should have picked up a page or two.

Well, it's "worth" whatever someone will pay for it...but the best way (IMO) to judge value on artwork is to decide where it fits relative to other artwork that is out there (i.e. more valuable/less valuable), and then formulate an opinion of worth based on all available sales data.

Very good question. i will have to give that some thought.

I will say this...I consider it to have the same type of appeal as something like Watchmen, in this sense: The value of the art is in the significance of the piece, and the popularity of the story...and has much less to do with the artist. This art is not valuable because it's Tony Moore (just look at what all of his OTHER art sells for)...it's valuable because it's the cover to Walking Dead #1, which has become a cultural phenomenon. It is the significance of the piece that gives it value...not the name signed at the bottom. This is very similar to the value of Watchmen art. It is valuable because it is WATCHMEN...not because it's Dave Gibbons. This cover would be every bit as valuable if it were drawn by Adlard...it'd still be the cover to the first issue of the most popular book of the last decade.

For fans of modern comics, this is the single most desirable piece of art. From what I have seen, though, the collectors of modern comic art are, for the most part, a totally different crowd than those dropping big bucks on key silver/bronze/copper era OA. So...I don't know if you can really compare it to a 100k+ McSpidey cover or a Byrne X-Men cover or a Miller DD cover or a choice DKR page (all of which pair great artist with classic story)...or the cover to TMNT #1 (which is closer in the sense that I don't think Eastman would be considered an all-time great artist). I'm not sure it would appeal in the same way to the buyers spending big bucks on key vintage art. Ultimately, I think there is a smaller buyer pool for WD 1 than there might be for the best of the bronze/copper age. I think WD 1 can get there eventually...but vintage and key DKR/Watchmen has grown over time, and so should WD 1. I think it will have to properly mature before you can put it in the same class.

That being said...I could see this cover selling in the $40k - $50k range on a good day and to the right buyer. For me, though, that's the high end.

Edited by jjeanius

Very good question. i will have to give that some thought.

I will say this...I consider it to have the same type of appeal as something like Watchmen, in this sense: The value of the art is in the significance of the piece, and the popularity of the story...and has much less to do with the artist. This art is not valuable because it's Tony Moore (just look at what all of his OTHER art sells for)...it's valuable because it's the cover to Walking Dead #1, which has become a cultural phenomenon. It is the significance of the piece that gives it value...not the name signed at the bottom. This is very similar to the value of Watchmen art. It is valuable because it is WATCHMEN...not because it's Dave Gibbons. This cover would be every bit as valuable if it were drawn by Adlard...it'd still be the cover to the first issue of the most popular book of the last decade.

For fans of modern comics, this is the single most desirable piece of art. From what I have seen, though, the collectors of modern comic art are, for the most part, a totally different crowd than those dropping big bucks on key silver/bronze/copper era OA. So...I don't know if you can really compare it to a 100k+ McSpidey cover or a Byrne X-Men cover or a Miller DD cover or a choice DKR page or the cover to TMNT #1. I'm not sure it would appeal in the same way to the buyers spending big bucks on key vintage art. Ultimately, I think there is a smaller buyer pool for WD 1 than there might be for the best of the bronze/copper age. I think WD 1 can get there eventually...but vintage and key DKR/Watchmen has grown over time, and so should WD 1. I think it will have to properly mature before you can put it in the same class.

That being said...I could see this cover selling in the $40k - $50k range on a good day and to the right buyer. For me, though, that's the high end.

I thought someone already threw that figure out at him and it was rejected. So it's got at least one buyer at that number but no seller.