• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

That's a list published by members of these boards. None of that actually answers why it is a variant. I far as I know it was the 1st error discovered and was added to the registry as a variant. If we publish a website with every issue having an error will these all suddenly be variants?

Where is the Walking Dead Checklist published?
Walking Dead Checklist

whoever made this checklist messed up on #1. there aren't 10,000 copies of #1 (website says black mature warning has 7,000+ copies, and white warning 3,000 copies), and there has been no proof that the black warning is rarer than the white warning (and no, kirkman saying the black warning has more isn't proof). also, don't know why the dynamic forces signed edition is listed. it's not a variant, just the same book, but 50 were signed and numbered.

Edited by Hawkman

That's a list published by members of these boards. None of that actually answers why it is a variant. I far as I know it was the 1st error discovered and was added to the registry as a variant. If we publish a website with every issue having an error will these all suddenly be variants?

Yea I was gonna say I could slap together a website like that one (nicer, too) in under 120 minutes with "thewalkingdead" somewhere in the URL, and make a list and start calling different issues "variants", that doesn't mean they really are....

#27 was the first error i think

Right so I'm confused on that auction, is the #27 "error" he points out the actual #27 that has a print error (which I recently learned most people don't know about), or is he pointing out the error that CGC made on the description of the signatures? The whole auction reeks of deception if you ask me...

It's like the guy the other day who was selling #1 and #2 (in two separate auctions), and they were PGX graded yet in the title he explicitly wrote "GCG GRADED" on each...Oh hell no, I wasn't about to let that fly. I messaged him immediately and was like dude you need to change your title ASAP, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I don't try to be some internet vigilante or anything but when I see shady eBay auctions I speak up and let the seller know that there's people out there watching and we're not gonna let you dupe some poor buyer out of their hard earned money.

1st discovered or 1st because it's an earlier issue?

1st discovered or 1st because it's an earlier issue?

hmmmm....good question. i seem to recall evil ash mentioning #27 first, but my memory could be wrong.

And that is how 'printing errors' should be handled, but I think the #35 deserves the designation of being a variant.

Question:

Do you guys check your book's pages?

I never do.

I'll start now, though.

So because there was an error in the proof it should be a variant but if the error is at the printer it shouldn't be a variant?

IMHO, errors are not variants and printing defects are not errors.

I propose these definitions:

Variant - differently published copies of a book in which the differences are intended by the publisher

Error - a book that has content that was not intended to be in the book

Recalled - a book that has content that the publishers removed from the book during the print run (which presumes an attempt to recall the existing comics)

Printing defects - a book that is different from the standard book by virtue of a printing problem. These can be of two types:

- problems affecting individual issues (random double cover or mis-wrap)

- problems affecting large portions of the runs of books (the extra/repeated pages in the WD books above)

No mater the nomenclature, some types of these books will carry a premium and some will reduce the value of a book. For example, a double cover usually increases the value of a book (presumably because the outer cover protects the inner cover and the defect actually serves to make the book better) where a mis-wrap will generally reduce the value of a book (presumably because it looks bad). These both fall under the same category of printing defect (affecting individual issues).

IMHO, defects and errors can be mildly interesting but I would not pay extra for any of them except for perhaps a double cover of a book that I really wanted. Some recalled comics are cool, depending on the reason for the defect, (the Green Lantern tear = not cool; the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Marvel person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed ad = cool).

For completionists, it would not be realistic to attempt to collect a copy of every printing defect and error throughout an entire run... but I'm sure someone on here will do it.