• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sigh... Anyone order from Comicsupply recently?

359 posts in this topic

Ehmm ... do you have some sort of personal beef with comicsupply, flaming_telepath? It totally sucks that thegroove had such a bad experience dealing with them, but I, for one, am glad that it actually got sorted out in the end ... and thegroove seems satisfied as well? You, on the other hand, seem totally frustrated that thegroove's problems were actually solved (shrug)

No, I have no personal beef with Comic Supply, but I sure as sh!te have a beef. (thumbs u

We here on the boards frequently expose and vilify the 'scammers' and unsavoury characters in our hobby.

Danny Dupcak for selling goods that are not as advertised.

Harold for fraudulently taking $4,000 from Phil Bellmore for a Batman #1 that never arrived.

Dad&Son for running off with another man's wife.

Doug Schmell for putting together his 'awesome' collection with funds misappropriated from his clients.

Matt Nelson for not proactively disclosing the manipulation his books undergo before he sells them.

Too many eBay sellers to begin to count for small scans/high shipping/poor grading.

The list goes on...big or small, we see a problem and we expose it for the good of the community. That's how it works around here...we inform our fellow collectors of potential problems.

And why Russ should be exempt from this, I have no idea. Surely keeping customers' money for many, many months and refusing to communicate, other than to decline to refund, is deserving of our concern?

You got your 100 bags and backing boards? Great. Excellent. Superb. (thumbs u

But many people haven't, and the problem is, this is not the first time it's all gone tits-up with this particular individual.

Nor the second.

Or even the third.

Russ is what you would call a serial offender and is therefore deserving of being dragged into the spotlight. Our friend found satisfaction, but only after posting the damning evidence (this was not speculation, but a well-documented description of events) to a public forum. He suffered seven months of being ignored and the only reason his issues were resolved was because he called Russ on it publically (this is speculation, but I don't believe in coincidences on this massive a scale).

Now, whether he gets his refund or not is, to my mind, of little relevance. What is relevant is hard evidence as to how CS go about doing business. Stuff like this should not be brushed under the carpet because some of Russ' customers are happy...or more accurately, are now happy.

No, I have no personal beef with Russ, but he needs to either sh!te or get off the pot. Run the business properly, or don't run it at all.

You forget another person.

TheGreatSatan who admitted he got fired from the YMCA because he was a Satanist. (thumbs u

Doug Schmell for putting together his 'awesome' collection with funds misappropriated from his clients.

Actually, I don't think that's what happened, or at least I don't think the disciplinary proceeding reached that conclusion.

Actually, more than one dealer confirmed that Mr Schmell used company checks to make large purchases back in the day. (thumbs u

Mixing of personal and company funds...not particularly above board, I wouldn't imagine. :whistle:

Well, I can say that the supplies that I ordered that were supposed to ship last week...

still haven't shipped. It's been 3 weeks now, which I guess is nothing compared to 7 months. The bad part is that contacted CS and was told I could cancel a back ordered item, and the order would ship out the next day, or I could wait a few days and the entire order would ship. But it didn't, and now it has been another week.

If they had been straight with me and said we have no idea when your back ordered item will arrive, I might have canceled it a week ago, instead of deciding to wait the two extra days CS made it sound like it would take to get the entire order.

Hotflips has a new customer after this...

I have ordered with them 2x in the past and never had issues. I even called with a question about mylars for CGC books and got an immediate answer. This was probably 9 month ago.

This thread has me thinking service has went down hill fast.

Sterling, since you are ordering again, I assume you always get good service.

I hadn't read this forum for a few days after the issue with ComicSupply was solved, had no idea such a discussion went on about the deletion of the post mentioning the specifics of my order.

Since CS finally decided to honor my order and make good, I thought it was an unneccessary post.

ComicSupply didn't ask me to delete the post nor anyone else. If it is considered valueable to have it up here I will repost it.

For everyone's information, these were the items I ordered:

4 x Archives - Magazine - 50 Count *SPECIAL ORDER*

4 x Mylites2 - Regular Size - 50 Count

2 x Mylite4's - Silver/Gold Size - 50 Count *SPECIAL ORDER*

Even if they are very special items, I think it is decent to your customers to inform them it may take much more time than the 2-4 weeks stated on the website.

I have had a Comic Store in the Netherlands and I think that Customer Service was one of our trademarks, that is why it saddens me I needed to go public with this issue on this forum and suddenly have the problem resolved (within 1 or 2 days). I am happy to finally receive the products, but I still think it is totally ridiculous to wait for a product over 7 months, trying to contact a seller by mail, phone, etc to get an update about the order's status (always intiated by me) and sporadically get a short reply.

I need much more Mylars (especially the Magazine ones), if anyone can tell me a decent retailer who can deliver the goods on time and communicates in a more customer friendly manner, please let me know.

Russ,

In an attemp to gain an understanding about some of the shipping delays can you please clear this up.

Are the delays caused by:

1. Gerber not having the stock on hand.

2. Comic Supply not placing an order until you meet a certain QTY's/Dollar value.

3. You Only order from Gerber a specific amount of times per year.

4. Other (Please explain)

The reason that I ask is that it would appear that Gerber has most items most of the time & although they do have lower volume items eg: the large folio Mylite2's compared with say current size Mylars they hold a very decent stock holding of almost every item.

I understand that you are a distributor for Gerber supplies but it appears that Comic supply has its fair share of trouble sourcing supplies from them.

A greater knowledge of the above would help me understand / appreciate why delays may occur when ordering supplies from Comic supply Vs other Mylite2's suppliers.

Thanks for your time.

Russ...

Russ.

In view of the post above this one. I feel that my question becomes even more valid & in need of an answer.

All of these items can be purchased at almost any time to a supplier within 7 -14 days.

Have the delays been caused by Comicsupply wanting to place large orders to obtain a better pricepoint (Discount) and thus choosing to wait until you have enought orders to justify the outlay or am I missing something else that would cause the delays?

Again, the better people understand how you work the better the service provider/customer relationship will be.

Hope to hear your thoughts on this.

Russ...

I hadn't read this forum for a few days after the issue with ComicSupply was solved, had no idea such a discussion went on about the deletion of the post mentioning the specifics of my order.

Since CS finally decided to honor my order and make good, I thought it was an unneccessary post.

ComicSupply didn't ask me to delete the post nor anyone else. If it is considered valueable to have it up here I will repost it.

For everyone's information, these were the items I ordered:

4 x Archives - Magazine - 50 Count *SPECIAL ORDER*

4 x Mylites2 - Regular Size - 50 Count

2 x Mylite4's - Silver/Gold Size - 50 Count *SPECIAL ORDER*

Even if they are very special items, I think it is decent to your customers to inform them it may take much more time than the 2-4 weeks stated on the website.

I have had a Comic Store in the Netherlands and I think that Customer Service was one of our trademarks, that is why it saddens me I needed to go public with this issue on this forum and suddenly have the problem resolved (within 1 or 2 days). I am happy to finally receive the products, but I still think it is totally ridiculous to wait for a product over 7 months, trying to contact a seller by mail, phone, etc to get an update about the order's status (always intiated by me) and sporadically get a short reply.

I need much more Mylars (especially the Magazine ones), if anyone can tell me a decent retailer who can deliver the goods on time and communicates in a more customer friendly manner, please let me know.

Last summer, after a few months of frustration with Comic Supply (basically the same issues as you had regarding communication), I switched to Hotflips. I have had excellent customer service from them , they are nice, polite, customer oriented, very timely, have very fair prices ...and everything one could ask for. It's really been a pleasure to deal with them. They are also board members.

I placed an order with Russ, 1 week and half or so ago...

Got my order Thurs.

Smooth.

Very communicative. Since one of my orders wasn't in stock, sent him a quick email or PM and he got back to me right away and I switched it for something he in fact did have in stock...quick, easy transaction.

Russ,

In an attemp to gain an understanding about some of the shipping delays can you please clear this up.

2. Comic Supply not placing an order until you meet a certain QTY's/Dollar value.

The reason that I ask is that it would appear that Gerber has most items most of the time & although they do have lower volume items eg: the large folio Mylite2's compared with say current size Mylars they hold a very decent stock holding of almost every item.

I understand that you are a distributor for Gerber supplies but it appears that Comic supply has its fair share of trouble sourcing supplies from them.

A greater knowledge of the above would help me understand / appreciate why delays may occur when ordering supplies from Comic supply Vs other Mylite2's suppliers.

Thanks for your time.

Russ...

Russ.

In view of the post above this one. I feel that my question becomes even more valid & in need of an answer.

All of these items can be purchased at almost any time to a supplier within 7 -14 days.

Have the delays been caused by Comicsupply wanting to place large orders to obtain a better pricepoint (Discount) and thus choosing to wait until you have enought orders to justify the outlay or am I missing something else that would cause the delays?

Again, the better people understand how you work the better the service provider/customer relationship will be.

Hope to hear your thoughts on this.

Russ...

cricket.gif X 3

Seven months waiting time is beyond the pale.

I am,however,curious about something. Many posters say they have tried to make phone contact and are unable.So what happens when you phone? Each and every time I've called their posted number,I've gotten thru. What do you guys get? A busy signal,or do you speak to someone?

Given the witch hunt mentality of these boards, I can understand why he doesn't come here to post. I just ordered a bunch of stuff last night, and had a decent phone conversation with him last evening. I'm flabergasted as my experience with CS does not coincide with others; I've had NO problem in contacting him should the need arise. Thanks shadroch for collaborating with my experience with the company.

I've never had a problem with shipment of product, nor in contacting him to resolve issues (I've had none to date; simply confirming availability). I hope everyone here finds a successful resolution, but I somehow seriously doubt this is the venue in which to find it especially given the manner in which a few choose to pursue it.

From where I sit his credibility came under fire during the original sale he had on mylites. I think a bit more patience from customers and a little more communication from CS would've helped. I think Russ learned a bit from this, but some customers are not forgetting.

I think Russ has made some good and bad moves, but his site and service is still going strong after four years...and I hope whatever issues folks have here will get resolved in an amicable, professional manner.

Sterling

Sorry guys I placed an order 20 march 2008 ( not a special - just off his site ) , still waiting .

I have had no confirmation of shipping , I had an email from Russ last week saying goods would soon been shipped , but nothing yet .

I used CS once a few years back and do not remember any issues. I have been using E-Gerber directly for the last 2 1/2 years or so. Ordered yesterday morning and my CGC boxes, Mylite2's and Fullbacks shipped yesterday afternoon and they even send a UPS confirmation. Our community is not that large and it's sad to hear problems inside of it. Customer service is everything!

:banana:Chris

Russ,

Thanks for your time.

Russ...

Russ,

I was going to PM you this but I figured I would air it all out.

1. Gerber isn't this huge company you think it is. They have a total of 5 (maybe) employees, and 1 of which is a secretary, 1 of which is the boss and 3 which make the bags. They have 5 (at last mention) machines which will make the bags. As far as I understand it, they do not like to, nor do they often, shut down their machines to switch over to some oddball sizes. For instance, I ordered Mylites a month or so ago, and they will be shipping in a few weeks. Now these are just Mylites, which are offered only in 3 sizes (all comic book sizes). Now can you imagine I am waiting on comic book size mylites for 2 months, how long do you think I would or could wait for 4 mil Playboy sizes?

2. We can order at any time, any dollar amount but we generally order $5000-10000 cost at a time.

3. I order anytime I want, but at certain times of the year they are heavily backed up with govermental contracts, or summer conventions.

4. 2 Product lines were exclusive to Diamond and ComicSupply, being the Mylite4's and the Mylite+'s (just released on their websites a few months ago) This product was rarely made with a lead time of 3-6 months sometimes.

You have to understand that Gerber DOES NOT want to do retail. They only want to be the person who makes the products. They want to just send products to people like me, or Diamond and STOP taking orders from the general public.

They have HUGE govermental contracts which makes them just about all the money they need to, and while they do accept orders from the public, it generally is not something they need to do (at last meeting with them this was mentioned as their stance)

I carry a full line of the products which is roughly 50-60 products from them. Other suppliers carry about 10 of their products. Again, I have said if I only stocked the Mylite2's and the boards I would never have an issue. Generally anyone who has issues with slow orders are waiting on special orders. Such as the Mylite4's from the earlier poster, or the special order Archives from other orders.

Normal items such as Mylite2's and Halfbacks (comic sizes) I stock in the 1000's. I rarely if ever run out of these and if I do it is easy to get. Sometimes, things get backed up with them or what not and I have to wait a month to get my orders, sometimes more.

Also Russ, you have to ask yourself about the fact that for 30 years there really wasn't another source for Gerber items (outside of your LCS) and 4 years ago I was the first to bring it online, and now there is a 2nd. I think probably people have tried before, but just gave up because sometimes it is very difficult to get the product(s)

Russ,

Thanks for your time.

Russ...

Russ,

I was going to PM you this but I figured I would air it all out.

1. Gerber isn't this huge company you think it is. They have a total of 5 (maybe) employees, and 1 of which is a secretary, 1 of which is the boss and 3 which make the bags. They have 5 (at last mention) machines which will make the bags. As far as I understand it, they do not like to, nor do they often, shut down their machines to switch over to some oddball sizes. For instance, I ordered Mylites a month or so ago, and they will be shipping in a few weeks. Now these are just Mylites, which are offered only in 3 sizes (all comic book sizes). Now can you imagine I am waiting on comic book size mylites for 2 months, how long do you think I would or could wait for 4 mil Playboy sizes?

2. We can order at any time, any dollar amount but we generally order $5000-10000 cost at a time.

3. I order anytime I want, but at certain times of the year they are heavily backed up with govermental contracts, or summer conventions.

4. 2 Product lines were exclusive to Diamond and ComicSupply, being the Mylite4's and the Mylite+'s (just released on their websites a few months ago) This product was rarely made with a lead time of 3-6 months sometimes.

You have to understand that Gerber DOES NOT want to do retail. They only want to be the person who makes the products. They want to just send products to people like me, or Diamond and STOP taking orders from the general public.

They have HUGE govermental contracts which makes them just about all the money they need to, and while they do accept orders from the public, it generally is not something they need to do (at last meeting with them this was mentioned as their stance)

I carry a full line of the products which is roughly 50-60 products from them. Other suppliers carry about 10 of their products. Again, I have said if I only stocked the Mylite2's and the boards I would never have an issue. Generally anyone who has issues with slow orders are waiting on special orders. Such as the Mylite4's from the earlier poster, or the special order Archives from other orders.

Normal items such as Mylite2's and Halfbacks (comic sizes) I stock in the 1000's. I rarely if ever run out of these and if I do it is easy to get. Sometimes, things get backed up with them or what not and I have to wait a month to get my orders, sometimes more.

Also Russ, you have to ask yourself about the fact that for 30 years there really wasn't another source for Gerber items (outside of your LCS) and 4 years ago I was the first to bring it online, and now there is a 2nd. I think probably people have tried before, but just gave up because sometimes it is very difficult to get the product(s)

Thats why I use www.bcemylar.com

Immediate shipping and NEVER any delays. :cool:

CC