• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RASL!!

239 posts in this topic

Just posted this on PhiGam's poll, but more applicable here:

I just picked up the RASL trade and read through it in about 20 minutes...not much dialogue. My thoughts...not enough dialogue, issues read really fast, art is horrible, story is intriguing.

I would add this one to my subscription list but I'm not sure I can wait for a "quarterly" book and I'll have to reread the TPB's before diving in to the "annual" TPB. Given the loooong wait time between issue and the fast read, not sure this one will hold my attention. Good story so far though and I'll definitely pick up the next trade, even if it is at Chrismas..

horrible art?? :screwy:

also, the reason there isn't alot of dialogue is bc the ART IS SO STRONG!

methinks you've been reading too much Thor (:

PhiGam, I know you've been pimping this book for a while now which is partly why I went out and picked up the trade. I'll be picking up future trades, but if you think the art in RASL is good and justifies the lack of dialogue in the books....you should raise your art bar...:screwy:

so let me get this straight...you think the art is 'horrible', you want more dialogue (even though you seem to understand exactly what's going on in the story without it, since you like the storyline), it reads too fast, but you're still going to purchase it in the future? ok...i tend to NOT buy books which i dislike, but whatever..

then you question my art tastes? lol

here are some shots of the 'horrible' art...note the composition, strong use of lighting, and character expressions...doesn't look too horrible to me :shrug:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

if you don't like this art, well...perhaps you should stick to your thor and dracula books,

chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....p (thumbs u

i also find it funny that you find the storyline 'intriguing', yet you claim that the writer is 'taking a day off' in another thread :screwy: also funny that you state all of this AFTER you send me a PM asking how much I want for a RASL #1 9.8 slab lol

i can't wait to see what you 'contribute' next...

Just because I see the book has flaws doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. Yes, despite the bad art and minimal dialogue, I'll still pick this one up because the story is intriguing enough. I'm not going to put my Jeff Smith knee-pads on like you are though...

My comments about the "writer taking the day off" wasn't in relation to RASL, general comment there buddy.

Your reading comprehension skills are lacking bub. Maybe that's why you stick to the simple stuff like BONE and RASL.....chuuuuuumppp lol

i'm not offended (: ... it's just so easy to point out how big of a dunce you are

my reading comprehension is just fine :gossip: perhaps you should go re-read what YOU wrote..

and calling RASL a 'simple read'...well, go read your spoon-fed dracula, ann rice novels and thor books, ya dunce (thumbs u

Just because I see the book has flaws doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. Yes, despite the bad art and minimal dialogue, I'll still pick this one up because the story is intriguing enough. I'm not going to put my Jeff Smith knee-pads on like you are though...

Do you think the kneepads actually have Jeff Smith on them or are they just regular black kneepads?

It's a decent book. The art is mediocre. I'll pick up the next one and take it from there.

I like the art in RASL.

For lack of a better way to describe it. I believe Smith's drawing style combines elements of Manga with Modern US comics style.

Many people are put off by Manga style, but I think Smith's style is just Manga-esque enough to look different, but not so much so as to look alien

I really think the style crosses over well.

I've only read the first issue but was surprised at how much I wanted to read the next. I got really drawn into the story.

RASL ,seems to me, different from any other comic I have read, and that difference is good. It isn't very often you find something new and not rehashed

Now if I could only find an affordable copy of #1 LE Variant (shrug)

My comments about the "writer taking the day off" wasn't in relation to RASL, general comment there buddy.

Your reading comprehension skills are lacking bub. Maybe that's why you stick to the simple stuff like BONE and RASL.....chuuuuuumppp lol

I have to completely disagree with everything you've written. I happen to like the art, but to each his or her own. "Minimal dialogue" ? Smith conveys more in his light and shadows than most writers convey in a whole story arc. Ever see "Blade Runner" or R. Scott's "Alien" ? Perhaps you should study them, same concept is being used in Smiths RASL. And I dare you to comment on my "reading comprehension", as I own a bookstore and would love to teach you a few things....

I have to completely disagree with everything you've written. I happen to like the art, but to each his or her own. "Minimal dialogue" ? Smith conveys more in his light and shadows than most writers convey in a whole story arc. Ever see "Blade Runner" or R. Scott's "Alien" ? Perhaps you should study them, same concept is being used in Smiths RASL. And I dare you to comment on my "reading comprehension", as I own a bookstore and would love to teach you a few things....

translation: aggiez is an ignorant dunce lol

Cmon Phiguy!! You have ripped anyone who has a bad word to say about Rasl.. Let it go..

evan, who have i ripped besides aggiez (who had blatantly broken logic) and his shill, 400yrs?

i don't mind if someone doesn't like the art, or anything about RASL...but the second someone says that i should 'raise my art bar', questions my reading comprehension and talks about kneepads...well, they're gonna get called out for being a dunce (shrug)

if someone walked into a GA forum and said that schomburg's art blew donkey ballz, you wouldn't be too happy either (:

with all that being said, i'm done with the mini-flame war...it's got nothin' to do with RASL :grin:

Are you going to add a "nanny nanny boo boo" and an "infinity!!!" to that too??? Stupid Sophomore... :roflmao:

Gone Phishin is right, get over it bub. Not everyone is slobbering over this book and you shouldn't get your feelings hurt that they aren't. (tsk)

Are you going to add a "nanny nanny boo boo" and an "infinity!!!" to that too??? Stupid Sophomore... :roflmao:

Gone Phishin is right, get over it bub. Not everyone is slobbering over this book and you shouldn't get your feelings hurt that they aren't. (tsk)

what are you asking me to get over? your long list of baseless and contradictory statements?

first you PM me about wanting a 9.8 copy of RASL #1....then you come into this thread and say the art is horrible (with no reasons why), and that it doesn't have enough dialogue (if you want more dialogue, go read your twilight and ann rice novels).

I disagreed with you about your above comments (giving clear reasons why) and then you started the 'personal' attacks...you said that I should raise my 'art bar', and question my reading comprehension skills? then the kneepads comment and calling me a 'stupid sophomore'?...my goodness, you are a dunce!

you said you were done debating RASL with me (because you clearly lost the 'argument'), so if you don't have anything to say about RASL then quit de-railing the thread, ya dunce...why are you still posting here (shrug)

Save some face and stop posting here if you have nothing to say about RASL...go use your kneepads with your shill boyfriend 400yrs while you read vampire books together, afterwards you can enjoy a bath with him and wear your thor hat while you two take turns hitting each other in the face with your thor hammers (thumbs u