• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson's Pedigree Books.

67 posts in this topic

Matt Nelson's greatly anticipated volumes on Pedigree collections will arguably send ripples through the greater comic community. And at the very least, educate a much wider body of the collecting community on the history, and place of pedigree collections within the hobby.

The book(s) will canonise for what in part, is only known via word of mouth, or scattered in a few selected extracts across the net (no dis-respect to your website Red (thumbs u ).

The book(s) will establish a context for the comic collecting that sit's outside of the personalities involved, something only acheived to date by the OSPG, and CBG. Which arguably the first is only ever considered a pricing tool within it's year, and the other doesn't possess a compedium of reference outside of owning dozen's, upon dozen's of copies.

When the second volume comes out, do you think the book will change the profile of collecting towards a stronger focus on peds, than what we currently see?

And will all peds come out of the publication with their current standing intact?

We have yet to see the GA volume be printed, so I think it's a little premature to speculate on the impact of the SA volume on SA peds. You having a slow day at work, Stacey? :baiting:

TTH has a great point Brass...let us get the golden age book out first and then we'll worry about the silver age :)

In time for the the Baltimore Con is the current goal but it will see print in 2008 no matter what.

Jim

This book has been promised for a few years now...is it actually going to be released?

Eventually. It's a part time job for people that already have 2 other full time jobs each.

Matt Nelson's greatly anticipated volumes on Pedigree collections will arguably send ripples through the greater comic community. And at the very least, educate a much wider body of the collecting community on the history, and place of pedigree collections within the hobby.

The book(s) will canonise for what in part, is only known via word of mouth, or scattered in a few selected extracts across the net (no dis-respect to your website Red (thumbs u ).

The book(s) will establish a context for the comic collecting that sit's outside of the personalities involved, something only acheived to date by the OSPG, and CBG. Which arguably the first is only ever considered a pricing tool within it's year, and the other doesn't possess a compedium of reference outside of owning dozen's, upon dozen's of copies.

When the second volume comes out, do you think the book will change the profile of collecting towards a stronger focus on peds, than what we currently see?

And will all peds come out of the publication with their current standing intact?

WTF are you talking about? (shrug)

Ok... so let me get this straight:

We can expect a two-volume set based upon the various comic book pedigrees out there. Each volume will focus on 1. the Golden Age pedigrees and 2. Silver Ages pedigrees, and then proceed to discuss the inventory and history of each pedigree from each era? I might be totally uniformed and off my rocker here, but don't many of the major pedigrees have books from all era? Wouldn't it therefore be more logical to simply catalog the pedigrees by name/order of importance/chronological/fill-in-the-blank, and present them in this fashion? This would provide a much more comprehensive means of approaching the subject matter where the reader can fully encounter each pedigree without having to jump around for more info on the same set.

As I said, I might be missing the boat on how this will be put together. That said, I think it's got a lot of potential to make for a great summer/winter vacation read. Don't know if it will greatly affect my collecting habits, but all the same it sounds interesting.

Yes definitely in terms of age. Most pedigrees don't offer selections from both eras unfortunately, the three that do that are presenting a minor problem for us are the White Mountains, Ohios and Bethlehems. These three include both Golden Age and Silver Age. All three will have their own chapter in both books. The Golden Age book will present each of these collections and focus on the Golden Age portion of the collection with some reference to the Silver Age part of their pedigree to help present the grand scope of each collection.

The book is coming and we are working our hardest to get it out as soon as possible. We are all constantly writing and researching, and just recently two chapters that were already finished and ready for print, had to be totally rewritten from scratch as new information about the pedigree was discovered. In an effort to keep the book as relevant, accurate and up to date as possible these are the types of things going on behind the scenes that are helping add to the delay.

Jim

Very cool, I'm looking forward to your books immensely!

And glad to hear your being absolutely exhaustive in your research and analysis.

Is it possible to give any further tentative publication date ?? :wishluck:

Brass: Like I mentioned earlier the goal is in time for Baltimore...which I think is in September but please don't hold me to that...you've seen how things have been sidetracked :) You can hold me too 2008 for sure.

Aman: The Spokane and Ohio chapters have recently been rewritten.

Jim

It is my understanding that one of the things Matt, Steve Ritter and co. are trying to do is relate each pedigree to other pedigrees of the same time period using CGC census info. By comparing and contrasting page quality and numerical grades they hope to place each pedigree in some sort of order of excellence. Obviously, whichever pedigrees fall at the bottom of that list could suffer some drop in coolness by the collecting community. It will be interesting to see how this affects certain pedigrees in both eras.

My feeling is that ultimately the book will just be another source of info to help place a book (any book) in context. In other words, if a comic from one of the pedigrees deemed lower in quality by the writers of the book is still the best existing copy, it will still be the most desirable.

The trouble with using the CGC data for the comparison approach is that CGC's PQ rating is not very sensitive (w, ow-w, ow, cr-ow, lt tan) and even within those broad categories my experience is that consistency can be improved. Nor is there any CGC rating for color/ink reflectivity, which are hard to compare once the books are slabbed even if you have them in hand. The early drafts had an average CGC grade and PQ for an entire pedigree and that seemed to be a useful or interesting aggregate measure. Not so sure that trying to do comparisons across pedigrees is all that meaningful.

I think that some measure of overall appraisal of given peds will still be useful. Yes the peds by and large vary in conditon, and PQ. But there still is a prevalent standard present in all of them... one way, or another.

Plus for guys like me for who buy blindly off the internet on a regular basis, some measure of appraisal in addition to the CGC information is always going to be welcomed.

And it further puts various pedigree's into context. Against other pedigrees, and CGC books as a whole.

So like you say, the CGC information provided is limited against certain standards, so hopefully this will do some measure to improve on things for recognised ped books.

The trouble with using the CGC data for the comparison approach is that CGC's PQ rating is not very sensitive (w, ow-w, ow, cr-ow, lt tan) and even within those broad categories my experience is that consistency can be improved. Nor is there any CGC rating for color/ink reflectivity, which are hard to compare once the books are slabbed even if you have them in hand. The early drafts had an average CGC grade and PQ for an entire pedigree and that seemed to be a useful or interesting aggregate measure. Not so sure that trying to do comparisons across pedigrees is all that meaningful.

If the comparisons use individual books as an example I would love it. For example:

Flash 137 Both the PC and Mass copies are 9.6. Obviously the PC is the bigger name but is it the better book.

Flash 151 I just won the Western Penn on C-Link but the PC copy is for sale also. Which one should I have bought. Both are 9.6.

I also want the inventory on some of these collections so I can start searching.