• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
12 12

1,511 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 8:06 PM, DocGo said:

Have any of you ever bought/collected the various Bone statues over the years? I don’t think I’ve ever discussed them on this thread and I brought it up on the Reddit forum not too long ago. I just have the Red Dragon & Ted set and Phoney (pictured below). I know the Fone Bone mini-statue produced by Dark Horse was briefly mentioned a few years ago but nothing else before or since. If you have any insights or pics, show me what you got!

IMG_2158.thumb.jpeg.16b146837ab233df7b1e6d70cb3cfdf8.jpeg

I have these somewhere… I try not to veer too far out of my collecting avenues but I am such a fan of The book I had to grab these back in the day!  I do remember that dragon being heavy

Jeff Live now doing interview. Talking Netflix deal (nothing new he hasn't said) but he did say he would still consider a movie some day! I thought after Netflix fell through he was done done done with movie options.

Here is the stream.

A 9.8 of a first print #1 sold on eBay yesterday morning for a little over $10k but this will look deceiving on GPA. It was graded a little over a year ago and the Grader Notes say “very light spine stress lines to cover”. These are evident, as well as two color-breaking creases on the top of the front cover’s spine. The back cover has at least one CB crease and a couple other marks that could be creases (could also be reflections from the plastic). The bottom corner of the front cover’s spine is a little rough but not enough to take it out of 9.8 by itself.

At least the seller posted decent pics of the book so people could see what they were buying. To me, this is a 9.6 at best if not a 9.4 based solely on what I can see from the images. It had to be graded as a Walkthrough/High Value and I don’t understand how it made it out of the building as a 9.8 (shrug)

‘Does anyone disagree? Bone #1 CGC 9.8

On 6/17/2024 at 5:01 PM, Flanders82 said:
On 6/17/2024 at 2:12 PM, DocGo said:

Does anyone disagree? Bone #1 CGC 9.8

Not at all. That spine alone should keep it from a 9.8. 

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if cgc inner well is being bent slightly or creased upon the seal of the outer well.

I got this back as a 9.8.

That is what I thought it was upon submission,  but these two ticks I didn't remember "being there!" I don't know if it is just pronounced within the slab? Even the pics don't due it justice, as the one in between the staples or lower one looks like one you might see in an 8.0? Or maybe I'm being over dramatic? Somewhat soft corners?

We're talking what makes a 9.8 with pics, so I thought it would be OK to compare?

Screenshot_20240617_171253_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240617_171358_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 6/17/2024 at 12:12 PM, DocGo said:

A 9.8 of a first print #1 sold on eBay yesterday morning for a little over $10k but this will look deceiving on GPA. It was graded a little over a year ago and the Grader Notes say “very light spine stress lines to cover”. These are evident, as well as two color-breaking creases on the top of the front cover’s spine. The back cover has at least one CB crease and a couple other marks that could be creases (could also be reflections from the plastic). The bottom corner of the front cover’s spine is a little rough but not enough to take it out of 9.8 by itself.

At least the seller posted decent pics of the book so people could see what they were buying. To me, this is a 9.6 at best if not a 9.4 based solely on what I can see from the images. It had to be graded as a Walkthrough/High Value and I don’t understand how it made it out of the building as a 9.8 (shrug)

‘Does anyone disagree? Bone #1 CGC 9.8

Yea this really doesn’t help the value of my 9.8 that I paid $15k+ (after BP and taxes) for through HA this fall :/

Definitely agree it’s looking like a 9.6 in these pics.

here are my 9.8 high resolution images for comparison 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/bone-1-cartoon-books-1991-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7341-92168.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514#

On 6/18/2024 at 12:29 AM, Aaroncash said:

Yea this really doesn’t help the value of my 9.8 that I paid $15k+ (after BP and taxes) for through HA this fall :/

Definitely agree it’s looking like a 9.6 in these pics.

here are my 9.8 high resolution images for comparison 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/bone-1-cartoon-books-1991-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7341-92168.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514#

I don’t think buyers of a Bone #1 first print blindly look at GPA and adjust their expectations accordingly. Yours went for $15k+ because it was one of the higher quality 9.8s in existence. The previous 9.8 on Heritage (2022) went for $12k because it was average at best. I definitely wouldn't worry about its value.

However, if there are more 9.8s that look like the one that just sold…:eek:. My 9.6 has zero CB creases but weak corners. I’ve always thought of it as a 9.6+ but, compared to the eBay copy, it’s definitely a lower end 9.8.

Hopefully, this is just a one time mistake by the graders :wishluck:

On 6/18/2024 at 12:55 AM, Poutine said:

I think 9.4 is much more realistic than a 9.6, but I admit, I am harsh when it comes to grading

Unfortunately, I’ve seen some rough 9.4s of Bone #1 so I would tend not to go that far. It’s definitely a possibility though. I think key issues are generally graded easier from what I’ve seen.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:06 PM, DocGo said:

Have any of you ever bought/collected the various Bone statues over the years? I don’t think I’ve ever discussed them on this thread and I brought it up on the Reddit forum not too long ago. I just have the Red Dragon & Ted set and Phoney (pictured below). I know the Fone Bone mini-statue produced by Dark Horse was briefly mentioned a few years ago but nothing else before or since. If you have any insights or pics, show me what you got!

IMG_2158.thumb.jpeg.16b146837ab233df7b1e6d70cb3cfdf8.jpeg

Oh i have most/all of these!  They are great - I don't have all of them out/displayed but I'll try to share some pictures later.  

They made a few statues - one of each of the cousins 1) Fone Bone as per the cover of the first collected Bone adventures, 2) Phoney from the Dragonslayer cover, and 3) Smiley in the Mystery Cow suit, the GRD and Ted, and a Thorn statue of her holding a sword in a crouched position.  I think edition sizes were not terrible (a few hundred each?) but i'd have to go back and look.  I think that they are all still readily obtainable?  I also have the Fone Bone and Rat Creature Bookends that they made that are statue-like and display well.  

On 6/18/2024 at 1:19 PM, DocGo said:

Unfortunately, I’ve seen some rough 9.4s of Bone #1 so I would tend not to go that far. It’s definitely a possibility though. I think key issues are generally graded easier from what I’ve seen.

Agreed 

On 6/18/2024 at 1:12 PM, fonebone6166 said:

Oh i have most/all of these!  They are great - I don't have all of them out/displayed but I'll try to share some pictures later.  

They made a few statues - one of each of the cousins 1) Fone Bone as per the cover of the first collected Bone adventures, 2) Phoney from the Dragonslayer cover, and 3) Smiley in the Mystery Cow suit, the GRD and Ted, and a Thorn statue of her holding a sword in a crouched position.  I think edition sizes were not terrible (a few hundred each?) but i'd have to go back and look.  I think that they are all still readily obtainable?  I also have the Fone Bone and Rat Creature Bookends that they made that are statue-like and display well.  

Fone Bone - 2500, Red Dragon & Ted - 2000, Smiley Bone as The Mystery Cow - 2500, Thorn - 1500, Phoney Bone - 1000, Fone Bone/Rat Creature Bookends - 500.

You can still buy the bookends on Boneville.com but the rest are on the secondary market, I think.

Good luck on the Thorn Tales from the Lantern auction today! Should be interesting as it’s the best copy Heritage has had yet…

On 6/20/2024 at 11:03 AM, DocGo said:

Good luck on the Thorn Tales from the Lantern auction today! Should be interesting as it’s the best copy Heritage has had yet…

$10200… not bad but what grade would you give it?

On 6/20/2024 at 3:52 PM, Savvy Collector said:

$10200… not bad but what grade would you give it?

Based on how CGC has graded them in the past, it’s at least a 9.2. I don’t have a major problem with 9.4. What do you think?

Given that a bunch of potential buyers were taken out by the recent Kickstarter campaign, $10.2k isn’t bad at all for the seller.

On 6/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, DocGo said:

Based on how CGC has graded them in the past, it’s at least a 9.2. I don’t have a major problem with 9.4. What do you think?

Given that a bunch of potential buyers were taken out by the recent Kickstarter campaign, $10.2k isn’t bad at all for the seller.

It went for more than what I thought it would.  The Kickstarter may have woken up some collectors and highlighted what a great book this is, I have talked to several big comic book store owners that have never even heard of this book.    I find these books tough to grade honestly, but with the power of zoom and multiple looks at it, I was thinking it’s more of a 9.0 maybe 9.2.

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 1:42 PM, Savvy Collector said:

It went for more than what I thought it would.  The Kickstarter may have woken up some collectors and highlighted what a great book this is, I have talked to several big comic book store owners that have never even heard of this book.    I find these books tough to grade honestly, but with the power of zoom and multiple looks at it, I was thinking it’s more of a 9.0 maybe 9.2.

Okay, that’s fair. It’s definitely better than the graded 8.5 which is what I compared it to.

I agree that a lot of people still don’t know that this book ever existed. It’s a great piece of Bone history :)

Edited by DocGo
Additional commentary

Finally had some free time this evening and watched most of the YouTube interview with Jeff (posted by Aaroncash on 6/6). Yes, yet another Bone reprint is on its way lol but I’m pretty excited about the inclusion of behind the scenes stories. I’ve heard bits and pieces over the years but seeing how this gargantuan project was put together in the early days by Jeff & Vijaya will be something else. Don’t spare the pages you two! I wanna hear it all :)