• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,580 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2022 at 1:24 AM, comicnoir said:

This is now a 6.0? I was the underbidder on that Ha auction. Should have won it. It would still be a 6.5.

Someday it will be a 7.0! (Or a 5.5 or a 5.0 ....)

On 7/15/2022 at 1:53 AM, comicnoir said:

Andy I wanted you to sell it to me. And you sold it to Tony. This could be the cover of a Baker romance as Sqeegs walks off with my book, me forlorn in the background.

No tears, though! Baker didn't like tears. 

On 7/15/2022 at 7:11 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wait. The 3.5 was sold raw as an 8.0? Whatever your emotions were when you opened the box, I bet you’re glad you kept it

It was indeed. Someone from whom you should buy only graded books. I've had undisclosed resto problems with that seller as well (although not with respect to Baker books).

On 7/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, adamstrange said:

With the number of collectors he has hooked on  romance, Dr Love has much to answer for. :sumo:

And is he sorry? Not in the least! :mad:

On 7/15/2022 at 2:51 PM, Yorick said:

I bet it looks much better without the ripples.  It's gotta be tough to work on a square-bound book like that.  What's it look like now?  :baiting:

I'd take a pic but, unfortunately, I don't have most of my Baker books handy. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'd take a pic but, unfortunately, I don't have most of my Baker books handy. 

That is the curse of owning too many books.  I'll help you downsize. 

:foryou:

On 7/16/2022 at 4:55 PM, Dr. Love said:

this does not compute

but if it did, I'd have to go with the All-Picture All-True #2 - a rebound, and contrary to what HA says, not a Baker cover.  Otherwise, if it's Baker you want, All-Picture #1.

imho of course

I think we've had this debate before--more than once, I imagine!--but I think the All-Picture 2 is by Baker, although the only time he rendered a cover in that style. The All-Picture 1 was the last book I needed to complete my Baker St John romance set, so I guess I'd have to vote for its being the rarest book in this auction. 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, BakerFanOne said:

I know this cover is listed as Al Ulmer but I have always thought this was Baker or very Baker-ish.  Curious if anyone else thinks he might have had a part in this underrated cover?  Reminds me a bit of his Mitzi work.  

Cow Puncher #4See the source image

Whoa! Great point. I think it's more likely to have been a swipe than Baker being involved in the Cow Puncher cover. 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, manetteska said:

Are the majority of the HA comics from a single consignor?

Surprised there is no Canteen 1. 

I believe there are multiple consignors--none of them me!

On 7/18/2022 at 12:52 AM, BakerFanOne said:

As the debate rages on who is responsible for the PL 17 cover, I would vote this as a Kamen cover. Her right hand is too crudely drawn to be Baker and the face exhibits none of the stylistic elements of any of his prior periods/phases of work.   I also don't recall Baker drawing too many covers (if any) with cleavage/headights to this extent. He tried to be more realistic albeit with a lot of admiration for the female form.  Kamen on the other hand drew many exaggerated women in bondage and did not have the free flowing elegance of the Baker women. 

See the source image

Yeah, I'm with you on this one, not that anyone will pay attention to us at this late date.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:02 PM, BakerFanOne said:

If you look at Seven Seas 4 and 5, it looks like Baker did 4 and Kamen did 5 although both are listed as Baker.

Seven Seas Comics #4

Seven Seas Comics #5

I think the SS 5 cover is Baker. He struggled some drawing women in profile. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, sagii said:

From the end of the road era 

20220720_085007.jpg

Beautiful copy! Not sure I've ever seen one before. GCD says Giordano pencils and Colleta inks, but I'm with you on its being Baker pencils. Either that or Giordana swiped a panel from a Baker story. 

On 7/31/2022 at 9:35 PM, Dr. Love said:

$785 final on Ebay

boardies were in there bidding aggressively

meat on the bone at this price?   5 graded copies, highest is a 4.5

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.992e4a56e444d9b73042cebe9572724c.jpg

738146688_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.f3f52e2d665c1ed492e520b903766f44.jpg

I was in there bidding but I'm always leery of going overboard on raw books from lesser known eBay sellers. Could have secret sorrows--from a missing cf to ct. Extra staple as well?