• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, szav said:

Nice rare book for a completionist to win and knock off their list I know, but looking at this one always reminds me of WR 17 and seeing this makes me appreciate WR 17 more each time, its so much more detailed and fluid.

Sorry to be the party pooper, I know its not a direct swipe but it feels close to one...and you just lose the feel of her showy strut that WR 17 captures so well.  

I think we talked about this before. What if Secrets was the original cover Baker handed in for WR 17 and the editor rejected it? He did another cover and the Secrets cover became inventory until St. John's did one more book and used the cover. Makes sense. The editors told Matt to jazz it up.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:03 AM, comicnoir said:

Still the best copy I've ever seen. 

secrets of true love.jpeg

I'm assuming that's your copy?

Mine is around here somewhere...bought it off of ebay about 2  years ago while I was at Disneyland, lol. Thought I paid too much at the time.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, BakerFanOne said:

I have a low grade copy of this scarce Baker so I bid a few times as this would have been a bit of an upgrade.  I don't know if it is a printing issue, but the right edge looked a little oddly cut to me or I would have bid a lot higher.  I compared it to the copy image on MyComicShop and there definitely was a difference but could not tell if there was any trimming.  Anyhow rare enough that I am not sure if a trimming makes much of a difference in value.  Congrats to the buyer and seller!

I think the seller didn´t managed to scan the book correctly, i hope its not trimmed because it wasn´t mentioned  in the description

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 8/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, Changer said:

I have some pics seller sent me via dm , not sure if this helps but size looks about right ?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the pics,  it looks suspicious ,  i will check it in hand , i hope its a bad centering but worst case scenario he is a good seller so i will work something with him 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 8/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

Thanks for the pics it looks suspicious ,  i will check it in hand i hope its a bad centering but worst case scenario he is a good seller so i will work something with him 

For what it's worth, even if it is trimmed, the price seems fair in my opinion given its scarcity.  It is also a pretty nice looking copy and a must have for any Baker completist!

On 8/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, manetteska said:

I'm assuming that's your copy?

Mine is around here somewhere...bought it off of ebay about 2  years ago while I was at Disneyland, lol. Thought I paid too much at the time.

Yes it's mine. Bought off ebay several years ago, although I can't remember the price. Would probably be highest graded.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, Changer said:

wowza, congrats living up to your name 

Just acknowledging that I am old.  :shiftyeyes:  What is so cool is seeing so much Baker come out of the woodwork as prices have skyrocketed.  It was very difficult to find Baker via mail order back then.  It was mostly through conventions that you could find the scarcer St. John giants.  Even though very few collectors seemed to be actively seeking Baker in the 90s, there was just not much to buy.  

Edited by BakerFanOne

On 8/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, Microbia said:

Sweet copy, love this cover. 
you can clearly see Matt Bakers hand writing on the book.