• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,378 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, Sqeggs said:

TADS 9 would get my vote. My copy is a wreck that I purchased five years ago. Haven't seen another copy for sale since. 

Diary Secrets nn is also very tough. Here's my 6.5 that I had pressed into a 6.0. Maybe I should have it pressed again to see if I can get it to 5.5. hm

lf.jpeg

What a gorgeous copy!  I remember my amazement as I saw this undiscovered gem for the first time at the San Diego Comic Con around 2010. I had never seen a copy in the 90s and was thrilled to see a new Baker cover on a St. John giant. Even better, it was only going to cost me around $100.    

On 7/14/2022 at 6:30 PM, Sqeggs said:

TADS 9 would get my vote. My copy is a wreck that I purchased five years ago. Haven't seen another copy for sale since. 

Diary Secrets nn is also very tough. Here's my 6.5 that I had pressed into a 6.0. Maybe I should have it pressed again to see if I can get it to 5.5. hm

lf.jpeg

I will have to double check but I believe my TADS 9 is around a 3.5.  I have seen a few copies for sale over the years but definitely very tough.  

On 7/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, OtherEric said:

the Liberty probably can be expected to have quite a few more copies out there

Wouldn't you know it....  the Baker HA auction has one in their listings!

On 7/14/2022 at 10:11 PM, Dr. Love said:

You got the 8.5 from amberonyx, a true Baker guy, on 10/4/15.  As he said at the time, "In the fifteen years I've been looking for this issue (along with the #9 that reprints it) I have only seen it once, and I bought it for a lot of money.  I have never seen it on Ebay."

This little book packs a Baker punch - it's got the most original Baker art out of any Baker St. John romance issue.  And yes that includes the big books.

Among others, you beat out these long time romance and Baker collectors:  astrosfan, who has remained extremely active in the Ebay romance space all these years, mocio123, and of course, @Bumble Kittywas in there swinging away!

TeenAgeDiarySecrets07f_Ebay.thumb.JPG.64db559fb23723e540cf6c003a2897e4.JPG

Is that Lloyd's copy?  Wasn't it 8.5?

On 7/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, Sqeggs said:

Wrt the DS nn, it had some rippling along the spine that Joey pretty much pressed out but the grade still went down. Probably worth a straight resub just to see if cooler grading heads would prevail. 

I bet it looks much better without the ripples.  It's gotta be tough to work on a square-bound book like that.  What's it look like now?  :baiting:

On 7/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, BakerFanOne said:
On 7/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, Sqeggs said:

Sure does. I was thinking $500, maybe $1k at most. Shows that book has gone into orbit. I wouldn't be shocked if the 5.0 in the HA auction clears $20K. 

As one of the underbidders (I bid to about $3500), I can at least explain my thought process.  I have an extremely low grade copy of this book which I bought in the 1990s.  I have been very actively collecting Baker since the early 1990s.  I initially completed my St. John Romance runs by the mid 1990s.  But I have only encountered a handful (3-4 copies) of this Giant Comics Edition 12 in the past 30 years and saw this as one of the few opportunities to get an upgraded decent looking copy under 10K.  Minimal restoration like color touch on iconic cover golden age books seems fairly immaterial so it was a non-factor in my bidding.  I was really hoping that 2K would get it done, but it kept going up.  When I realized it would hit 4K, I was very torn as the winner might go to 5k+.  For what it's worth, there seemed to be at least three bidders (including me) that were willing to go close to 4K.  With so many silver age keys exploding well over 10 - 20K, this actually seemed reasonable at 3K.  Remember how rare this book is and is a top 5 Baker cover depending on who you ask.  

Yep, all this (re the GCE #12). Even a cheapskate like me would have bid over $1K on that one. :) 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, 10centcomics said:

Funny, I thought it went for a steal but maybe I am biased because I won the book:bigsmile:

In all seriousness, this was never going to go for 500 to 1K. A beat-up copy of this book sold on Heritage twenty-one years ago in 2001 for 1K. The CT and grade don't matter for a book like this with 15 copies on the census. It's all about eye appeal and jumping on any copy that comes to market. It's an infamous Baker cover, ultra-rare, and it's currently listed as #1 on the most valuable romance comics in Overstreet (granted that list is kinda whack). I expect the 5.0 in the Baker Auction to go for $$$$. 

Congrats!  :applause:

On 7/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

regardless of grade?

this does not compute

but if it did, I'd have to go with the All-Picture All-True #2 - a rebound, and contrary to what HA says, not a Baker cover.  Otherwise, if it's Baker you want, All-Picture #1.

imho of course

On 7/16/2022 at 1:55 PM, Dr. Love said:

this does not compute

but if it did, I'd have to go with the All-Picture All-True #2 - a rebound, and contrary to what HA says, not a Baker cover.  Otherwise, if it's Baker you want, All-Picture #1.

imho of course

Thanks Doc.

Edited by RareHighGrade

Taking grade out of the equation, and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure if there are any books here that *literally* haven't come up for sale in the past year or so.  

Regardless, it's super cool to see them all together, and I'm happy there are some relatively affordable copies, not just the nosebleed grades. Budget permitting, I'm sure I'll take a swing at a couple. (thumbsu

On 7/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, 10centcomics said:

Funny, I thought it went for a steal but maybe I am biased because I won the book:bigsmile:

In all seriousness, this was never going to go for 500 to 1K. A beat-up copy of this book sold on Heritage twenty-one years ago in 2001 for 1K. The CT and grade don't matter for a book like this with 15 copies on the census. It's all about eye appeal and jumping on any copy that comes to market. It's an infamous Baker cover, ultra-rare, and it's currently listed as #1 on the most valuable romance comics in Overstreet (granted that list is kinda whack). I expect the 5.0 in the Baker Auction to go for $$$$. 

Congrats on the win!!  We will likely look back in a few years and say this was a bargain.  I have not seen many copies for sale over the years and I would expect the 5.0 in the coming auction to easily pass 10K and 20K or more is not unrealistic.  But I guess we will see soon enough!

On 7/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, BakerFanOne said:

I know this cover is listed as Al Ulmer but I have always thought this was Baker or very Baker-ish.  Curious if anyone else thinks he might have had a part in this underrated cover?  Reminds me a bit of his Mitzi work.  

Cow Puncher #4See the source image

There's a lot of Mitzi in that Cow Puncher. You may be onto something.