• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,543 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, szav said:

Nice rare book for a completionist to win and knock off their list I know, but looking at this one always reminds me of WR 17 and seeing this makes me appreciate WR 17 more each time, its so much more detailed and fluid.

Sorry to be the party pooper, I know its not a direct swipe but it feels close to one...and you just lose the feel of her showy strut that WR 17 captures so well.  

Apparently was the original cover for WR 17 or so the story goes. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, Changer said:

Love that cover , I had a 7.0 pgx , pressed came back a 6.5, still happy 

image.thumb.jpeg.bc011e7bba5625d77b0fb0b897be89f3.jpeg

Definite win. Books PGX graded early on often are not too far off. The later a book was graded the greater the chance that something is seriously off.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, szav said:

Some of the prices on the books in the Baker focused auction look a tad subdued, for now, although its a long auction and if you wanted that AGS 14 CGC 6.5 to go cheap, it aint happening...

That said some really strong looking results in last nights weekly along with some other recent sales has me thinking no bargains and we'll see some big movement, at least among the slabbed books.  Remains to be seen how all these raws will do.

From this weekend, among others:

image.thumb.png.6f31b0f6ef7293fc02f7e1bf02a8619a.png

image.thumb.png.bed5f04c6515387bcf76c5eb6f7a7e7b.png

One of those I sold and the other I won. :)

On 8/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Here's a couple of mine. With the recent prices they go for, I guess the smart thing would be to sell. But, then I wouldn't have them and want them all over again. And for what the greatest majority cost me over the years, I can afford to watch prices drop and still be very happy with what they bring. :banana:

comauthpolicecases19.jpg

comsecretsoftruelove.jpg

Full earring and a water pipe! Best cut I've seen on a copy of that one. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, Sqeggs said:

Beautiful copy! Not sure I've ever seen one before. GCD says Giordano pencils and Colleta inks, but I'm with you on its being Baker pencils. Either that or Giordana swiped a panel from a Baker story. 

I don't see any Baker at all.  Look at how badly the hands are drawn, especially hers.  Some influence of Baker is the most I would speculate.20220720_085007.thumb.jpg.44ce6eea6e0050

On 8/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, Sqeggs said:

I think the SS 5 cover is Baker. He struggled some drawing women in profile. 

Robert Webb is the likely culprit for the male characters and the rest of the background, for that matter.  Alani is likely by Baker she is not as pretty here as on the 4 or 6.  

On 8/8/2022 at 11:29 PM, adamstrange said:

I don't see any Baker at all.  Look at how badly the hands are drawn, especially hers.  Some influence of Baker is the most I would speculate.20220720_085007.thumb.jpg.44ce6eea6e0050

No - compare the couple in the foreground to the background guy entering the room. The solo male's linework is different and better. But while at first glance I dismiss the couple in the foreground, on closer inspection the black suit arms are well drawn, especially the cuffs and cuff-links. I wonder if the solid black for the suit was a handy way to cover/alter some art...and the couple's heads look awkward and strangely attached. He appears to have moved his chin to or past his shoulder. The expressiveness of the couple's faces are nothing close to that of the solo man.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:08 PM, Sqeggs said:

This is my most miscut Baker. 

dia4.20a.jpeg

I remember that sat on Metro's site for ages. I didn't like the mis-cut. Finally settled on a 6.5 with a perfect cut. CGC never ceases tp baffle me.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:29 PM, adamstrange said:

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of thumbs on this couple?  I understand the anatomic concept of where their thumbs are supposed to be, but the hands just look awkward, especially the suited guy's right hand.

Edited by davet75