• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, Sqeggs said:

My copy

2018-01-08-0001_zpsrvpml7cq.jpeg

There is a line that starts on the edge of the second 's' that ends at the end of the 'L' in both copies. I always thought was a handling defect. It now looks production.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:20 AM, comicnoir said:

I like Seifert's analysis of Saint 4. Very informative.

Just read that. I'm happy someone did the analysis because I've long questioned that being a slam dunk Baker cover.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:58 PM, Sqeggs said:

I think the SS 5 cover is Baker. He struggled some drawing women in profile. 

I feel like there are several distinct phases/types of Baker art.  There is the early phase that is represented in Classics 32, Seven Seas 3, and some of his Bomber work as well as Phantom Lady 13.  Then another Phase which seems to mix Kamen and Baker like Phantom Lady 17 with Seven Seas 5 with stiffer figures and rougher inking that transitioned to his classic phase on St. John romance.  I would agree that Seven Seas 5 has many Baker elements but artistically is quite different than Seven Seas 4 and 6.  I find his Movie Comics work a bit of an anomaly as it reminds of the Cow Puncher 4 and Seven Seas 4, but was also early in his career.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:26 PM, comicnoir said:

There is a line that starts on the edge of the second 's' that ends at the end of the 'L' in both copies. I always thought was a handling defect. It now looks production.

Agreed.  I think OP has the best copy....

On 8/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, Ryan. said:

I have managed a couple of these, including the four book set that is pretty sharp. I like where it is already but I think it is a little niche for comic books despite the incredibly early Baker art. 

I am definitely interested. All the results should be interesting to see.